Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Bill Huber / SI -  The Green Bay Packers on Monday signed tight end Alize Mack, a former seventh-round pick.

Mack (6-4, 251) caught 68 passes for 716 yards and four touchdowns at Notre Dame from 2015 through 2018. He was drafted by the New Orleans Saints in 2019 but has not played in a game. He’s spent time on practice squads with the Saints, Steelers and Chiefs in 2019. He spent part of the 2020 offseason with Kansas City, then competed in training camp for the Lions this summer but was released during final cuts and spent one day on their practice squad.

13 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Texans hired Lovie Smith so Flores won’t add them to their lawsuit with the stipulation that he coach McCown on being a head coach.

The Texans will make McCown their head coach once they get their ducks in a row on a roster they think McCown can win with.

Any time you can hire a guy who is 26-38 in the NFL and 17-39 in college this decade, you've got to do it, right?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

So GB was never close? Lol

I think GB would have been in play if we had the best offer, but that simply wasn't possible given our cap situation. OBJ wanted to go to LA and got, probably by far, the best incentivized contact to go to LA, so it was likely an easy choice at that point.

We needed him to make a Mercilus-type decision and choose GB over the highest bidder, but I'm not surprised a guy like OBJ didn't do that. In the end, it worked out for him anyways.   

Edited by packfanfb

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Any time you can hire a guy who is 26-38 in the NFL and 17-39 in college this decade, you've got to do it, right?

The best part is that Flores' legal team then felt it was a smart idea to release a statement saying he was happy that a black coach got hired, but, in so many words, Lovie wasn't the right black coach to hire...it should have been Flores. Not the best look.

23 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

The best part is that Flores' legal team then felt it was a smart idea to release a statement saying he was happy that a black coach got hired, but, in so many words, Lovie wasn't the right black coach to hire...it should have been Flores. Not the best look.

It appears this lawsuit is sour grapes by Flores because he didn't get the job he wanted.  Unless some team exec confesses that they didn't hire someone because he was the wrong color - and that ain't happening - this kind of litigation will be difficult to prove in court.

1 minute ago, Pugger said:

It appears this lawsuit is sour grapes by Flores because he didn't get the job he wanted.  Unless some team exec confesses that they didn't hire someone because he was the wrong color - and that ain't happening - this kind of litigation will be difficult to prove in court.

His best legal claim is the one against the Dolphins and Ross for alleged payments to "tank" games. Although, I doubt Ross, even if it was happening, was dumb enough to create any paper trail actually proving it, moreover, I doubt there are any bank receipts, etc. showing that it ever happened (assuming it did at all). 

His claims against the NFL/all 32 teams for unlawful hiring practices seems to be more a "shock and awe" type of claim with no real path to success through the Court system. The BB texts aren't great, but they hardly establish that the Giants committed race discrimination against Flores. In fact, if I'm representing the Giants, I'm actually using the Rooney rule as part of the defense against Flores because the rule is the rule...you are required to interview a minority candidate, even if you already "have your guy." I'm not sure if the Giants had already interviewed other minority candidates before Flores, but they could literally stand up in Court and say, "yes, we interviewed Flores even though we had already decided to offer the job to Daboll....because the NFL's Rooney rule literally required us to conduct that interview before hiring the guy we wanted."

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Why isn't that the "best look"?

41 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Filed under:

Terrible opinions from 2022

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Why isn't that the "best look"?

The second part of the statement is too "me, me, me" IMO (basically saying "well I was a finalist for the Texans job too so they should have hired me over the other black guy"), especially to be put out there by his legal team. Sends the wrong message. I think you leave that one in the bag and just go with the first part congratulating Lovie on getting the job which flows with the spirit of the lawsuit.

Now, I'd be the first to agree that Flores is probably the better overall candidate than Lovie (although Lovie has had some prior success too with the Bears), but for a lawsuit where optics matter, I was surprised to read the second part of the statement.  

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

The second part of the statement is too "me, me, me" IMO (basically saying "well I was a finalist for the Texans job too so they should have hired me over the other black guy"), especially to be put out there by his legal team. Sends the wrong message. I think you leave that one in the bag and just go with the first part congratulating Lovie on getting the job which flows with the spirit of the lawsuit.

Now, I'd be the first to agree that Flores is probably the better overall candidate than Lovie (although Lovie has had some prior success too with the Bears), but for a lawsuit where optics matter, I was surprised to read the second part of the statement.  

Agree. The statement didnt serve Flores well IMO.