Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

My biggest gripe with Rodgers over the last several years and the MVP conversation is not about him winning or being the MVP. Personally, when Rodgers wakes up every morning, he's a top 5 MVP candidate. He's that valuable to the team. What bothers me most is that Rodgers publicly portrays/talks about the MVP award too much, and winning SBs too little. This is why I've always had a deep respect for Brady. The guy lived and breathed one goal...winning the SB. You don't win the SB, it's a failure. It's a failure for him, the team, period, there are no exceptions. You win the MVP and don't win the SB...that's a failure. Brady had that mentality (the Jordan mentality). Rodgers doesn't, plain and simple. Whether he's just like that publicly or worse, he feels that way internally, I wish for once, I'd hear him respond to a question at a press conference about MVP with: "frankly, I'm not thinking about the MVP, I'm thinking about winning the SB, because that's what matters most in this league. If a league MVP award comes along with that, great." 

• Like 3

I couldnt care less about AR and the MVP awards. I'm happy he's winning them. It's helping our regular season efforts. Not a problem.  I just want that guy to show up in the Playoffs and as already stated, I'm losing trust that he can (or will). Nuf sed. Period the end.

This SF loss has be stumped. Shouldnt have happened IMO.

He certainly represents our best chance at double digit W's in the regular season - but do we bankrupt the future in the hope that SOMETHING will be different come Playoff time?

Therein lies the rub with me.

Regardless - he might not even want to come back to GB. So all this "angst" may be a complete waste of time.

3 hours ago, Sandy said:

Trading star players for multiple first rounders has never worked out except the Tunsil trade in Miami - which is still playing out and could fail as well.

..........and Tedford QBs never succeeded in the NFL...............until Rodgers. These 'never' arguments last until they are broken, then they are forgotten.

Multiple extra first round picks might work out wonderfully for the Packers, It's a roll of the dice and you have no idea how they fall. Just because you cut a pack of cards 20 times and no ace is drawn doesn't mean the next draw will not be an ace (well, not unless I have them all up my sleeve).

In fact you yourself said (quote)  "Just because you flipped a coin tails a few times in a row doesn't mean it's more likely to flip tails than heads".  That is very applicable here.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

Don't think it's allowed here or I'd post a link but one site has an article posting about how the Packers have multiple offers from several teams for Rodgers.  At the same time I heard they are not taking offers for Love.  How much of either is true I don't know, but the Packers front office wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't willingly take offers for Rodgers from every team who wants to make one.  That would have to be the basis for continued talks with Rodgers himself, because he would have to come to an extension agreement with that team.  I am hoping and I would bet the Packers and Rodg have etched in stone the offer they themselves are offering, and if that's not going to do it let's make one of these work...

2 minutes ago, 15412 said:

Don't think it's allowed here or I'd post a link but one site has an article posting about how the Packers have multiple offers from several teams for Rodgers.  At the same time I heard they are not taking offers for Love.  How much of either is true I don't know, but the Packers front office wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't willingly take offers for Rodgers from every team who wants to make one.  That would have to be the basis for continued talks with Rodgers himself, because he would have to come to an extension agreement with that team.  I am hoping and I would bet the Packers and Rodg have etched in stone the offer they themselves are offering, and if that's not going to do it let's make one of these work...

It's so simple it's stupid.

The Packers will not entertain ANY offer for EITHER AR or Love until the first domino falls: AR says he wants back - or not.

Just now, Leader said:

It's so simple it's stupid.

The Packers will not entertain ANY offer for EITHER AR or Love until the first domino falls: AR says he wants back - or not.

You don't see the forest for the trees.  Rodg can not know all of his options if those options aren't pursued.  He may want to know his potential destinations in the scheme of things before he makes that decision.  For all we know Murph and Gute (as they should anyway) may want to know those potential options too.  Rodg along with the Packer front office may be very inviting to that very idea.  Either side can always say no, it costs nothing to window shop.

Just now, 15412 said:

You don't see the forest for the trees.  Rodg can not know all of his options if those options aren't pursued.  He may want to know his potential destinations in the scheme of things before he makes that decision.  For all we know Murph and Gute (as they should anyway) may want to know those potential options too.  Rodg along with the Packer front office may be very inviting to that very idea.  Either side can always say no, it costs nothing to window shop.

We're done here. You just dont get it.

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

You don't know that for sure. The team we had this year will not be the same as next year. No way we can keep everybody. All the one score games we won this year defies the term, 'next great Packers team.' This team, you speak of could easily go 9-8 next year. Worse, we keep kicking the salary cap situation down the road when we do that. That insures we are going to suck once Rodgers retires because there won't be the money to dip into free agency, much less the draft capital to fill holes quickly like a trade would do.

The Herschel Walker trade worked out quite well for Dallas. The John Hadl trade worked out well for the Rams. There are countless trades that worked out well for the team receiving the draft picks. 

You did get me there on the last point, I meant to say recent trades...I've been pretty much counting from Cutler onward due to the changing NFL landscape for that evaluation.

And yeah, we don't know for sure if we're going to win many games, but in a 2015 study they found 60.55% of all NFL games are one score games. That may have changed since then, but I'm willing to bet that the biggest indicators in who wins those games is the QB and the coach. With the two we have there's no reason to think we won't have at least one but possibly two great shots at winning a championship. 

The argument of not going for it is just not appealing to me. As I said, I do respect the other viewpoint, but I can't support it.

Found it interesting listening to Gutes presser and how people hear what they want to hear. Many here have Crosby dead and gone but when Gutes was asked if Crosby had kicked his last kick for GB his response was 'Oh, no, no, no'. That was 3 no's for those counting. Probably can stop counting him in the automatic cuts to get under the cap group. 

3 minutes ago, R T said:

Found it interesting listening to Gutes presser and how people hear what they want to hear. Many here have Crosby dead and gone but when Gutes was asked if Crosby had kicked his last kick for GB his response was 'Oh, no, no, no'. That was 3 no's for those counting. Probably can stop counting him in the automatic cuts to get under the cap group. 

He might be back, but I don't think it will be at his current salary.  Gute made it sound like Crosby decision could be tied to the Rodgers decision .. something about veteran kickers and playoff experience.

21 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Technically we eat over 11. M of that number. 

So, you trading anything for him?  30.  Bad back, didn't play but a couple of snaps this past season.  And you are eating a lot of cap space.

If I'm looking to do that deal?  Maybe a 4'th round pick, with guarantees that he signs a team friendly extension with me right away.  I doubt he will, or that his agent would let him.  But that really isn't the type of guy that a GM is going to stick his neck out for.  Too injured for his age and too expensive.  I think you are better off waiting for him to get released and see if you can get him on a one year "prove it" type of deal.