Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

17 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

The trade possibility is still there because even though a player cannot "require" a trade while he's under contract, Rodgers has implicitly done exactly that with the contract restructure last season. If he demands a trade, yes, the Packers could say "F you, you're under contract and will play for us or no one" but the reality of that decision is: (a) pay a $46m cap hit to (b) a guy who then gets to freely leave the following year for nothing more than maybe a 4th round compensatory pick. Both sides know that isn't happening, so Rodgers does have more leverage there than the average player. 

It's more than more, it's nearly total control.

If Rodgers truly wants to stay and is willing to minimize his '22 number but management won't meet his price beyond '22, despite having the cap space to do it, that's a hard pass.

At that point, Rodgers probably wouldn't let the guy showing him the door dictate his fate. He'd have a preferred destination and could force management to send him there. How? What's stopping him from telling the other 30 teams "don't bother, I won't report". No bidding war. No boatload of picks. The trade offers would consist of one team bidding against themselves. GB would have to take anything they offered. 

Of course, it won't come to that. It's a bad look for both sides and management simply can't afford it. They could lose big. They'd agree to send Rodgers to his preferred destination and that team would offer some face-saving trade value, a single 1st, a future 1st and a player, but nothing close to what he's worth on the open market.

That's why trading him never made sense for GB. Rodgers' enormous leverage, to essentially pick his destination and limit compensation, ensured they could never get fair value.  

I think if Rodgers signs a $50 million contract, IMO, the tag and trade of Adams goes up significantly.  

I think Rodgers is willing to give up money for Adams, but Adams needs to decide, and decide quickly.  I dont see the Packers dragging this out with Adams.   They might but that's pretty tough with the cuts they'd have to make by Mar 16.

Rodgers gets 30 millionish with Adams or 50 mill without.  

Edited by NFLGURU

If Rodgers is going to stay and wants 50m per year, the only way I can see it being realistic is if it’s structured in this way:

2022 - 26m signing bonus, 1.5m salary, 26m cap hit hit

2023 - 25m salary, 50m roster bonus (which is paid as a signing bonus once the new league year kicks in), 47m cap hit

2024 - 32m salary, 1.5m game day bonuses, 48.5m cap hit

2025 - 40m salary, 1.5m game day bonuses, 57m cap hit

2026 - void year (we’d carry in 25.2m in dead cap charge)

2027 - void year

Edited by OzPackfan

32 minutes ago, Les Punting said:

It's more than more, it's nearly total control.

If Rodgers truly wants to stay and is willing to minimize his '22 number but management won't meet his price beyond '22, despite having the cap space to do it, that's a hard pass.

At that point, Rodgers probably wouldn't let the guy showing him the door dictate his fate. He'd have a preferred destination and could force management to send him there. How? What's stopping him from telling the other 30 teams "don't bother, I won't report". No bidding war. No boatload of picks. The trade offers would consist of one team bidding against themselves. GB would have to take anything they offered. 

Of course, it won't come to that. It's a bad look for both sides and management simply can't afford it. They could lose big. They'd agree to send Rodgers to his preferred destination and that team would offer some face-saving trade value, a single 1st, a future 1st and a player, but nothing close to what he's worth on the open market.

That's why trading him never made sense for GB. Rodgers' enormous leverage, to essentially pick his destination and limit compensation, ensured they could never get fair value.  

Money and cash flow

28 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

I think if Rodgers signs a $50 million contract, IMO, the tag and trade of Adams goes up significantly.  

I think Rodgers is willing to give up money for Adams, but Adams needs to decide, and decide quickly.  I dont see the Packers dragging this out with Adams.   They might but that's pretty tough with the cuts they'd have to make by Mar 16.

Rodgers gets 30 millionish with Adams or 50 mill without.  

Can you name a year in Rodgers' career where he gave up money for anybody to stay? 

I'll wait for an answer! FYI, Brady did it, lots. 

22 minutes ago, OzPackfan said:

If Rodgers is going to stay and wants 50m per year, the only way I can see it being realistic is if it’s structured in this way:

2022 - 26m signing bonus, 1.5m salary, 26m cap hit hit

2023 - 25m salary, 50m roster bonus (which is paid as a signing bonus once the new league year kicks in), 47m cap hit

2024 - 32m salary, 1.5m game day bonuses, 48.5m cap hit

2025 - 40m salary, 1.5m game day bonuses, 57m cap hit

2026 - void year (we’d carry in 25.2m in dead cap charge)

2027 - void year

**** that! 

As others have said, teams will line up to pay him and to that I say, let them. Take the highest bidder. 

Also, I look at this as a good sign. 

1. Rodgers wants to play.

2. He knows Green Bay can't make that contract work so it's his way of weaseling out of town and trying to blame the front office of GB. 

Edited by Old Guy

13 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

**** that! 

As others have said, teams will line up to pay him and to that I say, let them. Take the highest bidder. 

Also, I look at this as a good sign. 

1. Rodgers wants to play.

2. He knows Green Bay can't make that contract work so it's his way of weaseling out of town and trying to blame the front office of GB. 

You do that deal for Rodgers and this deal for Adams:

2022 - 45m signing bonus, 1.5m salary, 1.5m game day bonus, 12m cap hit
2023 - 7.5m salary, 1.5m game day bonus, 18m cap hit
2024 - 17.5m salary, 1.5 game day bonus, 28m cap hit
2025 - 20m salary, 13.5 roster bonus, 42.5m cap hit
2026 - void year, 9m dead cap charge

Both of these contracts have an out after the 2024 season (save 55m in cap space) where you release/trade them and then the Packers take 2025 as a tank year

This plan still gives you the nucleus to compete for the next 3 years and hopefully win a ring or 2 if lucky

Edited by OzPackfan

6 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

People bitched when The Packers spent years on draft and development not taking risks during most of the Rodgers years.  Now they start taking some risks and people *****.  

They have a plan and know exactly what they are doing.

I can see a segment of fans who will storm 1265 if they don't tag and trade Adams and don't trade Rodgers to Denver for scads of picks.

6 hours ago, Sandy said:

I really do respect the opinion of getting high draft picks to try and make the next great Packers team, but for me it comes down to the ol' 'bird in the hand' adage.  We have that next great Packers team here, right now. We don't know if we'll have that with Love, and if any of those draft picks will pan out.

Trading star players for multiple first rounders has never worked out except the Tunsil trade in Miami - which is still playing out and could fail as well. I'd rather we go for it with our short window now than march into the unknown.

Oh no, we gotta get rid of Rodgers because he blows.  Things are gonna be fine with Love and a bunch of rookie draft picks. /sarc

• Like 1