Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

So to all the party peeps on this board that are pretty good with the cap is this actually a team friendly deal or did you expect more? I'm not trying to troll or flare up the flames of hell, I'm just curious if these numbers will not only help this year, but with the expected cap increase in 23 and 24 will it not completely kill us? 

3 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

So to all the party peeps on this board that are pretty good with the cap is this actually a team friendly deal or did you expect more? I'm not trying to troll or flare up the flames of hell, I'm just curious if these numbers will not only help this year, but with the expected cap increase in 23 and 24 will it not completely kill us? 

The cap hits for the first 2 years are very reasonable and the third year will probably be reasonable with the cap increase. Most people's problem with this deal are not about the cap hits those three years but A) Preferring a trade + reloading of the team B) Rodgers taking the 50M/year he said he wasn't taking C) The huge dead cap in 2025 D) All of the above

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

It's team friendly while he's here, and not when he's not. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Question - whats the largest one year dead cap that any team's had?
Anybody know that number?

Single player, 34M

https://sports.betmgm.com/en/blog/nfl-history-biggest-dead-salary-cap-hits/

Overall dead cap for a season by one team is the Lions in 2021 I think with 67M, though there's been similar seasons before too, like Dolphins also 67M in 2019:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2021/

Ben Fennell -   In very a general philosophy - Keep going back to the Draft well for certain positions - RB, WR, EDGE

I think those are the most translatable from Saturday to Sunday and easiest way to get cheaper, younger, andddd more productive.

I’d spend on veteran OL, LB, DB…

4 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

Single player, 34M

https://sports.betmgm.com/en/blog/nfl-history-biggest-dead-salary-cap-hits/

Overall dead cap for a season by one team is the Lions in 2021 I think with 67M, though there's been similar seasons before too, like Dolphins also 67M in 2019:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2021/

Okay. Thanks. It was that overall number I was looking for.

67M

Gotta remember that.

9 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It's team friendly while he's here, and not when he's not. 

Ian Rapport saying that would probably happen is that when Rodgers retires that they would create a new contract with zero salary for five years and spread the remaining signing bonus over that. IF Rodgers plays for 3 years and still has $50m+ left on his deal they would just split that out over 5 years, so the hit on the Packers is minimal year on year. Same happened with Drew Bress. There will be no one year cap hit of $50m+

All in all it was a win win deal all around.

Edited by Brit Pack

9 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

The cap hits for the first 2 years are very reasonable and the third year will probably be reasonable with the cap increase. Most people's problem with this deal are not about the cap hits those three years but A) Preferring a trade + reloading of the team B) Rodgers taking the 50M/year he said he wasn't taking C) The huge dead cap in 2025 D) All of the above

E) Whether or not the deal is good depends if he starts agreeing with my political opinions ;) 

• Like 1