Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

7 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

TBF, 2018 was "operation get Mac out" so not sure we accurately can count that. So you're more looking at 2019.

If you actually believe that was rodgers motivation in 2018 it's even better evidence that the Love selection resulted in his resurgence.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

If you actually believe that was rodgers motivation in 2018 it's even better evidence that the Love selection resulted in his resurgence.

I think the selection of Love lit a fire, but I also think year two in the MLF system probably had Rodgers feeling a lot more comfortable as well.  He had things mastered early on that season.

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think the selection of Love lit a fire, but I also think year two in the MLF system probably had Rodgers feeling a lot more comfortable as well.  He had things mastered early on that season.

This is probably the most accurate way to describe it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, packfanfb said:

As big of a proponent as I am about the Packers needing WRs, I'm not a huge fan of the Metcalf trade scenario. Still think this team would be just fine if they can nab a guy like Parker away from Miami for a mid/lower round pick and then use one of their 1st rounders on a top WR in the draft. Then hit the position again in the 2nd-4th, particularly a guy who maybe doesn't have all the tools, but has one really good trait, like deep speed. 

MIA eats nearly as much as they save by trading Parker. You'd likely have to pay a premium to get that deal done. 

Whether its Parker or some other mid-rate vet, that group alone can't take you anywhere. Success would rest squarely on your WR draft pick. If you land a high-performer, you win. Anything less and you're likely trapped below a critical WR talent threshold, inviting hyper-aggressive defense and forcing the offense into a qualitatively different type of passing game.

If it's "all-in", why gamble on a draft pick to plug the achilles-heel-sized hole at WR when there are proven options like Metcalf? Money isn't a legitimate objection. He won't cost until '23 and beyond. Draft compensation? He'll cost a premium pick but isn't he a good bet to outproduce any rookie you could draft?

There's also nothing stopping GB from trading for Metcalf and drafting a WR high. They have plenty of draft capital and enough future cap space to do it. Metcalf and Olave?  

The WR situation is dire enough that GB should be favoring the most reliable route back to respectability. That's Metcalf.

2 minutes ago, Les Punting said:

Whether its Parker or some other mid-rate vet, that group alone can't take you anywhere. Success would rest squarely on your WR draft pick. If you land a high-performer, you win. Anything less and you're likely trapped below a critical WR talent threshold, inviting hyper-aggressive defense and forcing the offense into a qualitatively different type of passing game.

I think you have this problem without a top rookie contributing anyways. We just saw that the last two years when the WR room was Adams and bunch of average players. You need two guys who defenses at least respect. If you trade a 1st for Metcalf and don't use the remaining 1 on another WR, you get Metcalf, Lazard, day 2 rookie. I'm not sure that's better overall than Parker, 1st Rd rookie, Lazard. I think we need to get away from the "one WR" offense, regardless of who that No. 1 guy is. 

If I was building the WR room, I'd get a 1st and 2nd Rd rookie in there and one mid range vet to join Lazard and Cobb. The picks we got for Adams should directly go to his replacements at WR. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Did Rodgers play well in 2018?

Define "well". As Rodgers put it himself, most of his down years are good/great years for most NFL QBs. I'd say 2018 was a "down" year for 12 compared to what we're used to as fans.

6 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Define "well". As Rodgers put it himself, most of his down years are good/great years for most NFL QBs. I'd say 2018 was a "down" year for 12 compared to what we're used to as fans.

Correct.  Down year in 2018 followed by another in 2019.  

Love gets drafted and Rodgers refocused on fundamentals, lower body strength.  

1 hour ago, YogiBiz said:

As a Giants fan what’s the going rate for Jordan Love. 

Realistically..... Probably more than you'd be willing to give up.

My guess is the best deal you could hope for is Love for your 2nd and 4th. I doubt even that would get it done though.

I don't think he's going anywhere this year without an offer "too good to refuse" and I don't see that happening.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Les Punting said:

MIA eats nearly as much as they save by trading Parker. You'd likely have to pay a premium to get that deal done. 

If it's "all-in", why gamble on a draft pick to plug the achilles-heel-sized hole at WR when there are proven options like Metcalf? Money isn't a legitimate objection. He won't cost until '23 and beyond. Draft compensation? He'll cost a premium pick but isn't he a good bet to outproduce any rookie you could draft?

There's also nothing stopping GB from trading for Metcalf and drafting a WR high. They have plenty of draft capital and enough future cap space to do it. Metcalf and Olave?  

The WR situation is dire enough that GB should be favoring the most reliable route back to respectability. That's Metcalf.

If we were to trade for Metcalf, woild anything stop us from using the franchise tag on him, and protect our investment, next year to trade him like we did Adams this year?

2 hours ago, YogiBiz said:

As a Giants fan what’s the going rate for Jordan Love. 

The problem with trading Love is that he costs us about 750k in salary cap space just to trade him...we save 94k if we do but his spot on the 51 highest salaries gets replaced by someone making 850k.

Since we're still somewhat tight against the cap, and would have to spend a couple million on a new backup QB, our front office would have to be offered something that would make that cap hit worth it.

• Like 1