Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Williams is going to play in 12 games minimum, if not be ready for camp. ACL recovery is 9 months, Bakh has made us all forget that.

9 months means he misses camp - which puts him miles behind the 8 ball. We all know how that will work out.

52 minutes ago, cannondale said:

9 months means he misses camp - which puts him miles behind the 8 ball. We all know how that will work out.

You dont pass on superior talent because he might miss some camp - when the return is 5 years of play making.

3 hours ago, Leader said:

You dont pass on superior talent because he might miss some camp - when the return is 5 years of play making.

Don't know how superior he can be when he isn't even the consensus #1 WR prospect

My guess was that he basically redshirts the first season - so that's not 5 years of play making. There is a real chance he limps into town - watches training camp from the sidelines - starts the year on the pup list because he's so far behind everyone else and it's downhill from there. That would have been fine in 2014, but I'm not taking that chance with this 2022 team. I think fans underestimate what zero training camp reps means for a rookie wr, much less zero Rodgers reps. And that's assuming there are no setbacks, and he somehow stays in game shape, and somehow puts on a much needed 10lbs.  To take it one step further, once the season starts, there will be other new guys that will get the reps to prepare for game day. Williams will never catch up until next seasons camp. That scenario is a real possibility.

Go check out the Dunne piece on MVS and let me know if missing all of training camp as a WR is no big deal.

And maybe I should have prefaced all this by saying I don't think this WR class is as strong as what everyone is saying. Every prospect has flaws, and many don't meet Packer thresholds. 

Edited by cannondale

1 hour ago, Sandy said:

Indications are he's ahead of schedule (almost freakishly if you ask me). I don't have him getting outside the top ten in the first round mock I'm crafting.

What else is he gonna say pre-draft ? Certainly things have come a long way, but those high knee drills (or anything else that doesn't put side stress on the knee) are the usual for athletes showing how far they've come on a twitter video. Same with Jabari Parker - twice.  All it really means is that the surgery wasn't botched. Note that you won't see any cone drills or anything that stresses the knee laterally for another 4 or 5 months

Edited by cannondale

2 hours ago, cannondale said:

What else is he gonna say pre-draft ? Certainly things have come a long way, but those high knee drills (or anything else that doesn't put side stress on the knee) are the usual for athletes showing how far they've come on a twitter video. Same with Jabari Parker - twice.  All it really means is that the surgery wasn't botched. Note that you won't see any cone drills or anything that stresses the knee laterally for another 4 or 5 months

We'll see what the team doctors that have interviewed him have to say about this. The guy can't just say he's a couple months ahead of the standard 9 month schedule and not prove it to the teams that are interested in drafting him.  I have a feeling he'll start no later than week 3 for the lucky team that gets him 

15 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

The player the Packers will regret passing on if they get a chance:   Jameson Williams.   

I have a feeling the only way the Packers will have a shot at getting him is if we trade up in this upcoming draft.  He could be long gone before #22 even with his injured knee.

7 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I have a feeling the only way the Packers will have a shot at getting him is if we trade up in this upcoming draft.  He could be long gone before #22 even with his injured knee.

I just don't see it really working for Packers

The cost of trading up in the first are very high and I don't want to do that for a player recovering from an ACL tear.

If he falls to 22 then it probably means there are concerns with the knee.  Ultimately the value of a draft pick is four years. After that if they hit then you have to pay them significant money. If the expectation is he is going to be significantly behind for one of the years then that's not good at all.