Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

31 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Do it in a heart beat. Would significantly improve our offence. If he was healthy he would have got 1,000 yard season last year. A premium TE that can get you that lelvel of production is waaay cheaper than a WR who gets the same kind of yards. Give him a two or three year extension at $14m per year, well worth it. Jared Cook is 34 and put up almsot 600 yards last season.

Jerry Rice was 37 and very productive as a WR. You can't take the outlier at a position and make it the norm. 

Would I give up a second for Waller? Hell yes, if his extension was realistic. You say give him 14 a year but what if his agent thinks he's more WR than TE and wants 20? Not to mention he was slowed by injuries last year. Biggest concern is if the Raiders are willing to give him up for a 2nd what do they know the other 31 teams don't?

17 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Jerry Rice was 37 and very productive as a WR. You can't take the outlier at a position and make it the norm. 

Would I give up a second for Waller? Hell yes, if his extension was realistic. You say give him 14 a year but what if his agent thinks he's more WR than TE and wants 20? Not to mention he was slowed by injuries last year. Biggest concern is if the Raiders are willing to give him up for a 2nd what do they know the other 31 teams don't?

We are not talking Jerry Rice comparision, I was talking Jared Cook!

If I was talking about Antonio Gonzales then I would agree with the Rice comparison as an outlier. Gonzales played till he was 37 and his last season he put up 859 yard. Gonzalez as 31 year old put up 1172 yards and as a 32 year old 1058 yards.

Looking at other TE's post 30 production who are not Jerry Rice outliers all shows good performance. Delaine Walker at 31 years produced 1088 yards, as a 32 year old produced 807 and matched that production as a 33 year old. 

Jason Witten was averaging 700 yards a season from the age of 30 to 34. Gronk put up 802 yards last year as a 32 year old. Antonio Gates had 872 yards as 33 year old and 821 yards as a 34 year old. 

Point being if you are good enough you should be able to produce as a TE well into your 30's and production doesn't drop off a cliff.

With regards to being paid like a WR, I doubt that would happen, you never know. Travis Kelce put up 1229 yards in 2019 as a 30 year old then signed a new contract 4 year $57m, he didn't want WR money, interesting the following season he went off for 1416 yards.

5 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Biggest concern is if the Raiders are willing to give him up for a 2nd what do they know the other 31 teams don't?

The conspiracy theorist part of me thinks that this deal was already done, as Raiders were desperate for Adams and the Packers would only do the deal if Waller was part of the exchange, and so to avoid any league trouble this deal will only get announced just before or during the draft. 

I just keep going back to the point that both Gute and Murphy expressly mentioned trade as an option for improving receiving options in interviews and the way they said got my spidey sense aroused!

• Like 1

Yeah the debate feels like a bit of wasted breath. But I guess talking about Waller is better than talking about the same prospects right now? 

For the record, I wouldn't care about what he does at age 34. I care about what he does at age 29, 30, maybe 31. The injuries are a concern and it's unclear what damage he did to his body internally before rehab, so there's not much precedent, but if he's healthy for the playoffs he takes us to another level.

Don't need to win all 20 games, just the last three.

50 minutes ago, Sandy said:

I care about what he does at age 29, 30, maybe 31

If he is traded to the Packers he won't be playing as a 29 year old, he'll be 30 by the start of the season and if you are giving him an extension somewhere similar to what Kelce got you got be sure he can play till he is 34, not just one or two years worth of production. Comparing production with other older TE's is a useful excercise to see how TEs play later in their careers or are they like RBs whose production drops off massively. 

2 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

This Waller rumor seems dubious.  Would love to get him in a deal, but I'm not holding my breath.   

I don’t know if you can call it a dubious rumor when the league canceled deal with him in it already.

Edited by Arthur Penske

5 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I don’t know if you can call it a dubious rumor when the league canceled deal with him in it already.

Sure, but now they have Adams and Waller. They were willing to give Waller if it was the only way to get Adams, but now that they have both, are they at all interested in giving him up? If they were, Waller would already be a Packer. Think this is a dead month old rumor personally.

What is the point in committing draft picks and large cap space to a TE? a position group and area of the field where Rodgers rarely likes to throw to.

Rodgers is notorious for avoiding throwing in the middle especially towards the end of the McCarthy era and which reared it's ugly head again last season.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Sure, but now they have Adams and Waller. They were willing to give Waller if it was the only way to get Adams, but now that they have both, are they at all interested in giving him up? If they were, Waller would already be a Packer. Think this is a dead month old rumor personally.

I don't know if its currently a possibility or not, but it clearly wasn't a rumor when the league cancelled it. Waller was out the door from all reports. 

So it wasn't a rumor, it's a transaction that didn't occur due to a league policy that the teams apparently weren't aware of.

Ol Rodg cares about the short term only.  This year, or at best this and next year.  It is Gute and Murph's responsibility to care about this year and 5 years from now.  The trade comp we give up is one thing but the guy wants a new contract and his cap hit is 7 mill as it sits.  Pass.  Unless we could steal him which we can't.

2 minutes ago, Chili said:

What is the point in committing draft picks and large cap space to a TE? a position group and area of the field where Rodgers rarely likes to throw to.

Rodgers is notorious for avoiding throwing in the middle especially towards the end of the McCarthy era and which reared it's ugly head again last season.

I don' t know whats going on there. Would be interesting on some anaylsis.  Is it Rodgers "not wanting" to throw there or more of the players there? Rodgers sure " liked" to throw to Finley/Cook.

• Like 1