Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

4 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Guy doesn't know his own star power apparently.

I was thinking the exact same thing and thought to comment to him about it.
I'd imagine if he dropped his name....and offered to have his pic appear on the vendor's website.....he'd move up that list pretty quick.

Although....it doesnt appear they're hurting for business......

Edited by Leader

Just now, Leader said:

I was thinking the exact same thing and thought to comment to him about it.
I'd imagine if he dropped his name....and offered to have his pic appear on the vendor's website.....he'd move up that list pretty quick.

A signed practice jersey or the like could probably get somebody to give him their spot pretty easy too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

If you could say that our two current guards are Runyan and Newman, and they were both down.  Then assume that we are rolling with Rhyan and Tom, I'm not sure that the second team guys are much of a downgrade.  

I feel like Runyan is the best of the bunch, but also Newman could be the worst of the bunch.

Either way, I'm pumped for this o-line.

Will Myers be competing for a job as well?

1. I had kinda anticipated that we'd use a draft pick on secondary before the end of round 4.    
  2. I suspect they might still add a variably anti-awful vet?  Our friend Kevin King still is out there, no?  Adding an anti-awful secondary player is much more probable than adding a WR.
  3. I feel like, superficially at least, we are thinner and more injury-vulnerable at secondary.  Last year we began with Stokes on the bench in reserve, plus we had Sullivan.  (And some posters still even hoped that Josh Jackson, who'd played extensively the previous season, might be anti-awful.)  
  4. But Gute knows his bench guys better than I do.  That he let Sullivan go, when he got paid barely above minimum, suggests Gute didn't consider Sullivan's injury-insurance value to be very significant.  
  5. They did add Nixon, the ST/CB guy.  I've assumed he's ST-only, but maybe they think he's actually OK from scrimmage, in case next-man-up becomes necessary?  
  6. I'd love to imagine that they've liked what they've seen and believe in several from the  Innis Gaines/Vernon Scott/Sean Davis pool, or the legendary Kabion Ento or Jamal-Charles?  Would be fun if they've actually hit on one or several of those guys? 
  7. I was surprised that Black was a depth guy that they used all the time; but then they let him go.  If some of these others are more worthy, why didn't MLF play them instead of Black?  
  8. The Quay pick might reduce the need for extra safety usage?  Maybe he'll take the snaps that Black played, not Scott or Gaines?      

52 minutes ago, craig said:
  1. I had kinda anticipated that we'd use a draft pick on secondary before the end of round 4.    
  2. I suspect they might still add a variably anti-awful vet?  Our friend Kevin King still is out there, no?  Adding an anti-awful secondary player is much more probable than adding a WR.
  3. I feel like, superficially at least, we are thinner and more injury-vulnerable at secondary.  Last year we began with Stokes on the bench in reserve, plus we had Sullivan.  (And some posters still even hoped that Josh Jackson, who'd played extensively the previous season, might be anti-awful.)  
  4. But Gute knows his bench guys better than I do.  That he let Sullivan go, when he got paid barely above minimum, suggests Gute didn't consider Sullivan's injury-insurance value to be very significant.  
  5. They did add Nixon, the ST/CB guy.  I've assumed he's ST-only, but maybe they think he's actually OK from scrimmage, in case next-man-up becomes necessary?  
  6. I'd love to imagine that they've liked what they've seen and believe in several from the  Innis Gaines/Vernon Scott/Sean Davis pool, or the legendary Kabion Ento or Jamal-Charles?  Would be fun if they've actually hit on one or several of those guys? 
  7. I was surprised that Black was a depth guy that they used all the time; but then they let him go.  If some of these others are more worthy, why didn't MLF play them instead of Black?  
  8. The Quay pick might reduce the need for extra safety usage?  Maybe he'll take the snaps that Black played, not Scott or Gaines?      

Kevin King needs a new team.  Fresh start somewhere else.

Not taking another CB should tell you that we actually like those guys behind the big 3.

30 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

If you could say that our two current guards are Runyan and Newman, and they were both down.  Then assume that we are rolling with Rhyan and Tom, I'm not sure that the second team guys are much of a downgrade.  

I feel like Runyan is the best of the bunch, but also Newman could be the worst of the bunch.

Either way, I'm pumped for this o-line.

I agree. I'm relatively enthused about the o-line too.

1. If the offense is able to be more competitive this season, including against playoff defenses, it's going to be because the o-line is **way** better. 
  2. I get fears that either Bakhti or Jenkins or both won't come back strong.  If they don't, our chances depress accordingly.  Possible, but not probable.  
  3. I envision Jenkins back by October; Nijman being fine filling in for just September; and Nijman being fine as the 3rd tackle thereafter.  Tackle OK pre-Jenkins and excellent after.  Nijman good depth. 
  4. I like Myers.  Center excellent. Tom good depth.
  5. I'm fine with Runyan-Newman at guard.  Newman is over-sniped and underrated.  Why can't he 2nd-year-jump and recognize stunts better?  Packers won 13 games with those guys starting, with mostly a bad center between them, and mostly mediocre-bad tackles outside them.  Between Bakhti, Myers, and Jenkins, Runyan/Newman are OK.  Depth is good, with Rhyan, Tom, and also Jenkins/Nijman.   *If* Rhyan is hypothetically so good that he beats out an already-OK starter, all the better!
  • Like 1

The Tale of Two Cities.....

CHTV - Brian Gutekunst has added two UDFA running backs after last weekend's draft. They are Tyler Goodson and BJ Baylor, who are different styles of runners.

Tyler Goodson - Goodson is a running back from Iowa, and he was considered the best available undrafted free agent according to NFL.com Chad Reuter's ranking. He is fast for the position, with a 4.42 40-yard, but is thin at 197lbs. Goodson had a strong three-year career at Iowa, where he became in 2019 the first true freshman in school history to lead the team in rushing yards. He also had a good 2020 season, being a first-team All-Big Ten. Last season, Goodson ran for 1,151 yards and six touchdowns in 13 starts.

BJ Baylor -  Baylor was the 21st best UDFA RB according to Chad Reuter, but can be more than that if he realizes his potential. In his last season with Oregon State, the running back had impressive numbers: 1,337 yards and 13 touchdowns with a 5.6 yards per carry average. He was the first player from Oregon State to lead the Pac-12 in rushing yards since Steven Jackson in 2003. Before 2021, he had a small role and hadn't had more than 30 carries in any year.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

You trusting Kabian Ento to step into a big game?

I'd rather it be Shemar.

But, if I'm being fair, I've seen King in big games.  It's bad.

I'm down for whatever isn't Kevin King and I hope he gets a fresh start somewhere else.

• Like 1

Just now, vegas492 said:

I'd rather it be Shemar.

But, if I'm being fair, I've seen King in big games.  It's bad.

I'm down for whatever isn't Kevin King and I hope he gets a fresh start somewhere else.

Shemar is a slot only, he's never going to play outside.

I'll take a guy I know I can win 13 games with over a low ceiling unknown. As long as the $$$ is right.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, craig said:

I agree. I'm relatively enthused about the o-line too.

1. If the offense is able to be more competitive this season, including against playoff defenses, it's going to be because the o-line is **way** better. 
  2. I get fears that either Bakhti or Jenkins or both won't come back strong.  If they don't, our chances depress accordingly.  Possible, but not probable.  
  3. I envision Jenkins back by October; Nijman being fine filling in for just September; and Nijman being fine as the 3rd tackle thereafter.  Tackle OK pre-Jenkins and excellent after.  Nijman good depth. 
  4. I like Myers.  Center excellent. Tom good depth.
  5. I'm fine with Runyan-Newman at guard.  Newman is over-sniped and underrated.  Why can't he 2nd-year-jump and recognize stunts better?  Packers won 13 games with those guys starting, with mostly a bad center between them, and mostly mediocre-bad tackles outside them.  Between Bakhti, Myers, and Jenkins, Runyan/Newman are OK.  Depth is good, with Rhyan, Tom, and also Jenkins/Nijman.   *If* Rhyan is hypothetically so good that he beats out an already-OK starter, all the better!

That interior of the o-line is going to be better by competition and with what we drafted, it should mean we do not overpay for a guard for the next 4 years or so.  I love it.

No clue if Bakh or Jenkins can come back fully.  Guessing they both will.

I have much love for Nijman.  He's one that I hope we sign to a nice Lane Taylor/Lucas Patrick type deal during the season, but I fear he will play too good for that kind of deal.

I get RT vibes from Newman.  Maybe he will take a leap forward at guard.  But we shall see.  I can also see him being G#3 by the end of the camp.

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'll take a guy I know I can win 13 games with over a low ceiling unknown. As long as the $$$ is right.

I'll take anyone not named King as CB4.

He's proven that he's not an instinctive zone corner.  And he no longer has his speed.

I'd be hard pressed to see him as CB4 in a scheme that he doesn't do well.  And let's not pretend like he's a plus on specials.  Then there are always the medicals.

I'll take anyone else currently on the roster over King.

Dude needs a fresh start somewhere else.  Let him not cover the Scotty Miller's of the NFL for someone else.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

He's proven that he's not an instinctive zone corner.  And he no longer has his speed.

I'd be hard pressed to see him as CB4 in a scheme that he doesn't do well.  And let's not pretend like he's a plus on specials.  Then there are always the medicals.

Dude needs a fresh start somewhere else.  Let him not cover the Scotty Miller's of the NFL for someone else.

We got great value for what we paid for with King last year. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Business decision, what is best for the team.

13 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Fan decision, what is best for some fans hurt feelings.