Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

45 minutes ago, R T said:

Why was De'Vontre Campbell not signed at this time last season?

Douglas on a PS even later on too.

Idk what King is doing but it could be looking for the spot he think he'll play instead of nobody wants him at all. Even though I'm sure it's both. 

Idk but this reminds me of whenever we used to sign a guy that like JAX cut and it's like oh he isn't even good enough for the jags why do we want him. Well bad teams probably also have bad roster management too. 

19 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Yeah.  That looks like Gute doesn't do all that bad on day 3.

The important thing to factor is that (rightly or wrongly) Gute has used his 4th rounder to trade up a number of times. When he has picked in the 4th then he has picked Moore (bust) and Newman who whilst had issues was a serviceable starter as a rookie which is pretty good in round 4.

We pick late which has to be factored in. If you trade your 4th and pick late then you don't really have any mid round picks. You go from the valuable day 1 and 2 picks straight to late round punts at the end of the 5th and beyond.

In terms of late round flyers, if you get 1 decent player a year then you have done well.  In 4 years, we have had MVS and Tunyon who both definitely qualify. Slaton, Hill have promise and there is Garvin.  Every chance that by the end of their contracts there is a good case that a couple of them look decent players.

I've always thought that round 4 is where you can really build your depth particularly if you have a couple of them.  After that its all a bit hope for the best. There is a good case for saying trading up using 4ths has worked out but at the same time if you do that and pick late then expectations for the 3rd day need to be pretty low as you don't have much left. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

2019 was really the only bad Day 3 that Gute had.  2018 had MVS which is a home run for a 5th. 2020 had Runyan who is good and Garvin who has a chance.  2021 it's too early to give up on Newman, Slaton, or Hill.  Like the hitrate in 5th and later is like 11%.

Was it that bad ?

Again we had no 4th rounder ripping the heart out of the middle of the draft. Keke was useful for a while while  and we got a ST contributor in Summers.  It was a weak third day but we just had a handful of late round picks, odds are low you get a really good player from that.

3 hours ago, R T said:

If we are moving the goalpost here from why is KEVIN KING not signed, let's move it further.

Is ILB a premier position?  Versus corner?

How many teams has been King been on in the last 2-3 versus how many other teams was Campbell on?

Then look at PFF scores for each player.

I mean, if we are moving the posts here, let's make them really wide.

Hint:  Campbell had 2 teams in 2 years prior to joining GB.  King has had one team in his whole career.

Hint:  Campbell's PFF grades were mediocre to low prior to joining GB.  Last year was a career PFF year for him.  (Probably because he got to play just the Mike, as he wanted.)

Hint:  Not that I've looked it up, but my guess is that King's PFF scores are pretty low.  Maybe last year was higher.

Hint:  Since Campbell was kind of average to below average, then comes to GB and become All Pro, I'd suggest that a change of scenery did him good.  Just like what I'm advocating for King.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

If we are moving the goalpost here from why is KEVIN KING not signed, let's move it further.

Is ILB a premier position?  Versus corner?

How many teams has been King been on in the last 2-3 versus how many other teams was Campbell on?

Then look at PFF scores for each player.

I mean, if we are moving the posts here, let's make them really wide.

Hint:  Campbell had 2 teams in 2 years prior to joining GB.  King has had one team in his whole career.

Hint:  Campbell's PFF grades were mediocre to low prior to joining GB.  Last year was a career PFF year for him.  (Probably because he got to play just the Mike, as he wanted.)

Hint:  Not that I've looked it up, but my guess is that King's PFF scores are pretty low.  Maybe last year was higher.

Hint:  Since Campbell was kind of average to below average, then comes to GB and become All Pro, I'd suggest that a change of scenery did him good.  Just like what I'm advocating for King.

I don't care if they sign him or if they don't, but some people just take more time for everything to click and Packer fans should be more aware of that than most with what they just witnessed with Douglas and Campbell. Does he need a change of scenery? Maybe, but it might just be a time and maturity thing too. 

3 hours ago, R T said:

I agree with your point, RT.  Some good and useful players can go this long without being signed.  Case by case, price by price.  In Campbell's case,, by his account, he had other offers, but wanted a specific usage, not a utiity-man usage.  He got that in green Bay, and it paid off.  Like Vegas notes, there was a fit factor.  

Often there is also a dollars factor.  King is used to being used as a high draft pick starter, and when he finally hit FA last year he got a $5M deal, or whatever.  May take a man some time to self-realize that he's not valued as a starter or as a $5M guy anymore.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, R T said:

I don't care if they sign him or if they don't, but some people just take more time for everything to click and Packer fans should be more aware of that than most with what they just witnessed with Douglas and Campbell. Does he need a change of scenery? Maybe, but it might just be a time and maturity thing too. 

Could be maturity, but I'd doubt it.

King is a good kid.  Well grounded.  He's always said the right things and acted in the "right" way.

He's just not the athlete now that he was as a rookie.  

I hope he gets it together.  And I do feel like a change of scenery would be good for him.  Fresh start.

4 minutes ago, craig said:

I agree with your point, RT.  Some good and useful players can go this long without being signed.  Case by case, price by price.  In Campbell's case,, by his account, he had other offers, but wanted a specific usage, not a utiity-man usage.  He got that in green Bay, and it paid off.  Like Vegas notes, there was a fit factor.  

Often there is also a dollars factor.  King is used to being used as a high draft pick starter, and when he finally hit FA last year he got a $5M deal, or whatever.  May take a man some time to self-realize that he's not valued as a starter or as a $5M guy anymore.  

I'm not being argumentative here, but I'm curious.

What is Kevin King's fit in the NFL?  I like the kid, I've long defended him.

But on 3rd and 7, he lines up 10 yards off the receiver and backpedals.  In a zone.  I'm not sure if a slot corner is supposed to cover underneath, or if a LB is supposed to cover that zone, but the cushion he had out there over and over again never made sense to me.

Then when in the zone, he's slower to react than others.  

And when playing man, well, he just doesn't have his rookie speed anymore.

When it comes to tackling, he is very willing, but that body is frail.  Injuries are a real thing with him.

So, what is his fit?  Is it as simple as an insurance policy?  (Which is not a bad thing.)

What I'd love is to end up having zero injuries and no need for CB's 4 or 5.  If there is need, for Nixon to be good.  For Jean-Charles to have developed enough to be reasonably servicable for slot-ish stuff.  For Ento to be long and agile and better-than-King for boundary stuff.  Have it covered without needing to bring in outside vet, and have the position thrive with the personnel they have right now.  

8 minutes ago, craig said:

What I'd love is to end up having zero injuries and no need for CB's 4 or 5.  If there is need, for Nixon to be good.  For Jean-Charles to have developed enough to be reasonably servicable for slot-ish stuff.  For Ento to be long and agile and better-than-King for boundary stuff.  Have it covered without needing to bring in outside vet, and have the position thrive with the personnel they have right now.  

It's pretty helpful when CB4 can line up and be a plus on specials, too.

And in being fair to King, I do remember seeing him do that stuff last year, and he was not bad at it.  Again, he's a willing tackler, it's the body that doesn't like it so much.

Anyone remember a play when he made a business decision to not try to tackle someone?  If it happened, I do not remember it.

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

..What is Kevin King's fit in the NFL?  I like the kid, I've long defended him.  But on 3rd and 7, he lines up 10 yards off the receiver and backpedals.  ...

I don't know.  Being anti-awful?  Every team carries ~6 corners, yes?  I'm guessing CB 5-6 on a lot of teams aren't super great or have great fits?

But *IF* King was to have a better fit, I've got two thoughts.

1. Maybe better inside than boundary.  His length is more valuable, and his vulnerability to getting beat over the top, and fear of that, is less exposed? 
  2. A more aggressive defense without Jerry Gray?  Your caricature of King giving a big cushion, then immediately backpedaling to make it larger still, is the same that frustrated me during the Pettine era.  But the Packers have worked under a strong allow-short-prevent-long commitment, and Gray has apparently either coached or at least tolerated that approach.  I wonder how it would go if he signed with a team that had a coach who would NOT tolerate that, and who would yell at him to get tight and jam and contest?  Maybe if the give-mega-cushion-then-backpedal-some-more was coached out of him, perhaps he'd be a better fit?   (Very hypothetical, I have no strong confidence that he'd do great that way either, beats me.  Just a "maybe"...)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, R T said:

Are you directly comparing Campbell to King and saying King will be as successful as Campbell was in 2021?

My thinking is Campbell's success combined with his 2021 contract was an outlier (a great hit by the Packers) and a poor comp for King. But, if you're saying King will be an all pro this season and sign for $2M, I'd like the details on that.

Edited by Donzo

20 minutes ago, Donzo said:

Are you directly comparing Campbell to King and saying King will be as successful as Campbell was in 2021?

My thinking is Campbell's success combined with his 2021 contract was an outlier (a great hit by the Packers) and a poor comp for King. But, if you're saying King will be an all pro this season and sign for $2M, I'd like the details on that.

I mean, did anyone predict Campbell would be an all pro either?

Would have seem ridiculous then too.

That being said, it's more likely King is out of the NFL than makes all pro at corner lol

All he means is not being on a roster atm doesn't mean you can't add real value to a team this coming season. That's hardly controversial.

11 minutes ago, Norm said:

All he means is not being on a roster atm doesn't mean you can't add real value to a team this coming season. That's hardly controversial.

That's fair.

Like I mentioned, I just think Campbell's success in 2021 makes him a poor comp for King.