Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, Mr Anonymous said:

I understand people here aren't going to simply take my word for it

Probably because you keep spinning your word to meet the facts as they come out.

Now it's "well....I GUESS Aaron might not be in GB in 2023. BUT it's only if he decides that."

You are baking in an 'out' because you're losing confidence in your prediction.

9 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Probably because you keep spinning your word to meet the facts as they come out.

Now it's "well....I GUESS Aaron might not be in GB in 2023. BUT it's only if he decides that."

You are baking in an 'out' because you're losing confidence in your prediction.

I literally just addressed that a page or so back because of people looking for angles like yourself. The only way I can guarantee things on the Aaron Rodgers end is if I'm AARON RODGERS. I don't recall ever claiming that. If he wakes up tomorrow wanting to join the Russian Ballet, I can't claim to have foretold it.

But I CAN tell the story from the Packers end, and what I've said has never once wavered. If Rodgers wants to play for the Packers, he'll play for the Packers. The Packers won't deny him. And the opinion aspect of what I'm saying is that I believe Aaron Rodgers is going to announce he wants to return.

There's nothing wishy washy about what I said at all. Very clear cut.

No, it's not clear cut.

Are you saying the front office will once again be fool enough to allow Ol Rodg to dictate terms?  There is a big difference between that, and telling him he must compete against Love, he must comply with Frenchy and his system, and he will not have Cobb, Lewis, Tonyan and likely more.

3 minutes ago, 15412 said:

No, it's not clear cut.

Are you saying the front office will once again be fool enough to allow Ol Rodg to dictate terms?  There is a big difference between that, and telling him he must compete against Love, he must comply with Frenchy and his system, and he will not have Cobb, Lewis, Tonyan and likely more.

The team handed the keys to this situation over to Rodgers long ago. Only a very foolish report by Bob McGinn suggests they take a hard line much less tell him he has to compete with Love for the job (biggest of LOLs to that thought).

2 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Not unless Rodgers wants it, no.

Geesh, are you that naive to what's been going on? How many more clues do you need?

I think if Gute decides handing the reins over to Love is the best thing for the Organisation then he will trade Rodgers even if its just for a conditional pick in 2024 (dependant on Rodgers new team convincing him to play).

Rodgers can threaten retirement all he wants but that shouldn't play into the Packers minds especially if the trade happens after June 1 as then money is saved for this year.

I don't know. When he was in London and in media since then Gute said 'we have shown our commitment to Rodgers with the contract.' Then at the end of the season Rodgers questions that commitment by saying 'it is a two way street and they want to want me back as well.' Now Gute is saying 'all options are on the table.'

Whether Rodgers has the power or Gute does, I have no idea, the narrative played out in the media is giving both parties the out and I think there will be a mutual aurevoir.

If Rodgers wants to play for the Packers, he'll play for the Packers

Of course he wants to. There's no better situation out there. But it's up to whether or not Gute can find the right return in a trade at this point. That's the only unknown. 

Everything else is a facade.

• Like 1

The team handed the keys to this situation over to Rodgers long ago. Only a very foolish report by Bob McGinn suggests they take a hard line much less tell him he has to compete with Love for the job (biggest of LOLs to that thought).

Different deal this year.  Rodgers had one of his worst season in his career.  He's about to turn 40.  Also has a penchant for playing poorly when it matters the most.  Honestly I think the Packers "prefer to move on".  If Aaron decides he wants to return to GB there will be conditions in place.  Contract restructure and full commitment to work his *** off.  Just because he wants to play for GB doesn't make it so.  He'll have to sell the brass on it.  Otherwise he's gone.  Granted he played through a broken thumb but to me it looks like he's washed.  Legs are gone.  Does he give us the best chance to win next year?  I'm not so sure.  

Edited by Scoremore

27 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Of course he wants to. There's no better situation out there. But it's up to whether or not Gute can find the right return in a trade at this point. That's the only unknown. 

Everything else is a facade.

I'm going to rephrase this:

He wants to be wanted here because this is the best situation for him. He'll go where he feels wanted. I don't think he feels wanted here and as a result of that, he will want to go elsewhere. 

If we wanted him back, he'd want to be back.

Edited by incognito_man

4 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Hypothetical statement by Aaron Rodgers...

"Getting away for a few weeks has reminded me that there's no place I want to be other than Green Bay, Wisconsin playing for the Packers franchise in front of the best fans in the world. I believe in this team and I believe that I can still play this game at the highest level. Let's go get another title for Titletown!"

You people actually believe the Packers response to this would be, "Sorry Aaron we're moving on with Jordan."?

That would be an exact repeat of 2008 if you actually DO believe it. And there's simply no effing way it will unfold that way. Yet we're just one simple Aaron Rodgers statement like the one above from the Packers being put in that position. If he does make that statement, he WILL continue to be the Packers QB.

Yes.  Like Outpost mentioned, the Packers have already been there and done that.  And they were better off because of it.  If the Packers didn't believe they had something in Jordan Love, they wouldn't be bouncing around the Rodgers' situation.  It'd be an all-out press on Rodgers.  But with the contract the Packers gave him, they gave all the leverage to Rodgers.

And you'd hope have hoped that there was enough goodwill worked between Rodgers and Gute that Rodgers wouldn't be applying that kind of pressure to Gute.  I think it's going to be an internal discussion between the two, and we should see a resolution in the next couple of weeks you'd have to imagine.  I'd bet it happens one way or the other before FA opens up.

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Yes.  Like Outpost mentioned, the Packers have already been there and done that.  And they were better off because of it.  If the Packers didn't believe they had something in Jordan Love, they wouldn't be bouncing around the Rodgers' situation.  It'd be an all-out press on Rodgers.  But with the contract the Packers gave him, they gave all the leverage to Rodgers.

And you'd hope have hoped that there was enough goodwill worked between Rodgers and Gute that Rodgers wouldn't be applying that kind of pressure to Gute.  I think it's going to be an internal discussion between the two, and we should see a resolution in the next couple of weeks you'd have to imagine.  I'd bet it happens one way or the other before FA opens up.

I think Gute mentioned he was hoping to have answers from Rodgers prior to the league new year. I believe that is March 15th? 

Obviously I'm on team Trade Rodgers, but Mr. Anonymous is making some valid points.

Easy for us to make this decision, but I can see where management is determined to keep discussions civil. They really don't want a 2008 again. Not the whole "win a Super Bowl three years later" part, but the part where a HoF QB leaves in a messy, divisive way.

Imagine if Rodgers sucked. Fans would still be lamenting how it was handled. What if trading Rodgers leads to 10 straight losing seasons? Gute, Murph and MLF would have that as their lasting legacy.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I think Gute mentioned he was hoping to have answers from Rodgers prior to the league new year. I believe that is March 15th? 

Ideally he's going to need to know a week prior to that.  Derek Carr is more than likely going to sign with someone prior to the start of free agency.  It very well could be with the Jets and that could possibly remove the greatest suitor we have for Aaron via trade.