Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

18 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Sure there is. Gute's reply there could just as easily mean "we have to wait to hear if Aaron wants to play here or elsewhere" as it could mean "we're at the point we're looking to deal him". And in this case those are 2 drastically different things. The part that few know is that if Aaron wants to stay in Green Bay, then he'll get his wish without fight.

I suspect Rodgers is trying to decide if he wants to stay in GB or leave.  I don't blame him for taking his time with this decision.  This is kind of a big one for him to make.  And I'm sure he appreciates management for giving him time here too.  It seems to me a lot of fans and the media folks are the ones that wanted this decision yesterday.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Ideally he's going to need to know a week prior to that.  Derek Carr is more than likely going to sign with someone prior to the start of free agency.  It very well could be with the Jets and that could possibly remove the greatest suitor we have for Aaron via trade.  

I think the Jets would wait as long as possible for a Rodgers decision before signing Carr.  My guess is the QB dominoes go

Rodgers decision ->Carr -> Garoppolo  -> other vets ( Mayfield, Darnold, Brissett, etc)

16 hours ago, squire12 said:

I agree that Rodgers has much more leverage compared to GB organization.  

steps in a hypothetical process

1. Rodgers says he wants to play in 2023 and GB is the place
  2. GB says you need to take a paycut to do so or we trade you
  3. Rodgers says no to the pay cut, and I will play in SF for 1 year then retire
  4.  what is GB next move??

GB will ask him for his second choice.  lol  There is zero chance GB will trade him to SF but not because they are also in the NFC.  SF does not have a draft pick this year before the 3rd round.  If AR is traded Gute will trade him to a team that can offer more compensation than that.

30 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Ideally he's going to need to know a week prior to that.  Derek Carr is more than likely going to sign with someone prior to the start of free agency.  It very well could be with the Jets and that could possibly remove the greatest suitor we have for Aaron via trade.  

I agree! I also believe Gute has got to be proactive in getting a decision from Rodgers so they can make decisions and hopefully find a trade partner and move him. 

42 minutes ago, Pugger said:

GB will ask him for his second choice.  lol  There is zero chance GB will trade him to SF but not because they are also in the NFC.  SF does not have a draft pick this year before the 3rd round.  If AR is traded Gute will trade him to a team that can offer more compensation than that.

GB can ask, but if Rodgers only wants to play for GB or SF, what is there next move?

They can't and won't cut him, but they can do all the rest.

The last great mistake with that bloated contract did indeed give Ol ROdg the power.

Unless they are still brain dead, Murph and Gute can take that power back.  By doing all I had already talked about.  

Tell him he needs to redo the contract and make it more team friendly if he were to stay.  When he and his agent say suck it, tell him the rest of the story.  Cobb, Lewis, Tonyan, and possibly more gone.  The team will make moves for the future in regards to the cap.  Ol Rodg will compete for the job all season long, and must play under Frenchy's system.  Rodg shouldn't be threatened by this unless he thinks Love can beat him out, but if he doesn't play within the system he will be benched regardless.  Now you talk to him about option B, a trade.  If the team feels it needs to move him they can go ahead and trade him without his consent, but in this situation I believe Rodg would be willing to go with the right team.  If you have to trade him without his consent well then he faces retirement.  That's up to him.  The power is with the Packers, if they have brains and balls left.

• Like 1

No dog in this fight.

Here's where I am at.  For the best interest of the club, Rodgers needs to NOT be a Packer.  He needs to be traded or retired.  It is that simple.  I don't care if he decides it, or if the front office decides it or if they have a "mutual" understanding/breakup.  It just needs to happen.

As a fan?  I'm not opposed to Rodgers playing one more year here...so long as it does not jeopardize Love being the QB after this season.  I know how the movie ends, for sure.  But if he wants one more year, I wouldn't hate him being only a Packer for his playing career.  It isn't what is best for the team, but as a fan, I can appreciate it from a single team career perspective.

Love is the key thing here.  Either he's starting this year, or he knows that the next year is all him.  So if Rodgers does come back, the only way to appease Love, outside of playing time is.....money.  Short term deal with more guaranteed money than his 5'th year option.  And then you pray that the money is enough for him to stay here and be just happy enough concerning the situation.

• Like 2

To me opportunity cost is one of the biggest players here, and it is seldom discussed.  The Packers had not only a huge cap hit with that bloated contract but there was huge opportunity cost.  What they could have gotten in treasure for the old man at the time.

Now, there is still opportunity cost if you keep, albeit far less.  What his cap implication will be in the next few years and the loss of what we can get for him right now.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sandy said:

Obviously I'm on team Trade Rodgers, but Mr. Anonymous is making some valid points.

Easy for us to make this decision, but I can see where management is determined to keep discussions civil. They really don't want a 2008 again. Not the whole "win a Super Bowl three years later" part, but the part where a HoF QB leaves in a messy, divisive way.

Imagine if Rodgers sucked. Fans would still be lamenting how it was handled. What if trading Rodgers leads to 10 straight losing seasons? Gute, Murph and MLF would have that as their lasting legacy.

If it lead to 10 losing seasons in a row, thr current guys won't be here for even half of it. That legacy would be attributable to whomever takes over.

We just had a losing season with Rodgers playing the entire season. What's their legacy if we keep him and have another losing season AND lose Love? It's even worse.

Of course the FO is going to keep it civil and professional. They're being very civil about telling the world Love is their guy right now.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 15412 said:

To me opportunity cost is one of the biggest players here, and it is seldom discussed.  The Packers had not only a huge cap hit with that bloated contract but there was huge opportunity cost.  What they could have gotten in treasure for the old man at the time.

Now, there is still opportunity cost if you keep, albeit far less.  What his cap implication will be in the next few years and the loss of what we can get for him right now.

BINGO! Every year we kept him since 2020 his value has diminished, and our long-term cap implications get worse. We have also mortgaged away Love's rookie year deal. 

I would go so far as to cede the point to keep Rodgers through '21 to give Love one more year of development. Bringing him back last year and giving him that deal was just dumb, dumb, dumb. 

Bringing him back this year would be like this: 

Just when I think you COULDN'T possibly get any dumber... You go and ...

Edited by Old Guy

24 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

No dog in this fight.

Here's where I am at.  For the best interest of the club, Rodgers needs to NOT be a Packer.  He needs to be traded or retired.  It is that simple.  I don't care if he decides it, or if the front office decides it or if they have a "mutual" understanding/breakup.  It just needs to happen.

As a fan?  I'm not opposed to Rodgers playing one more year here...so long as it does not jeopardize Love being the QB after this season.  I know how the movie ends, for sure.  But if he wants one more year, I wouldn't hate him being only a Packer for his playing career.  It isn't what is best for the team, but as a fan, I can appreciate it from a single team career perspective.

Love is the key thing here.  Either he's starting this year, or he knows that the next year is all him.  So if Rodgers does come back, the only way to appease Love, outside of playing time is.....money.  Short term deal with more guaranteed money than his 5'th year option.  And then you pray that the money is enough for him to stay here and be just happy enough concerning the situation.

It would be a lot of fun to watch Rodgers play another season with Watson and co. I just don't get how you can do it and not really piss Love off past the point of wanting to not be in GB long term. 

Then you add it in chance to add draft picks with Rodgers and a trade just makes the most sense for everyone. If Love's your guy you roll with him now, if he's not you trade him and go with Rodgers. I wish we were in like season 1 or 2 of Love's contract and Rodgers was just a bit younger, but it's time make a decision.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Bench him until he retires or accepts a trade somewhere else.

That or threaten to cut him.

cutting him mean the $58.3M is dead cap for GB on top of the already noted dead cap.  cutting him is meaning gutting the roster

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, squire12 said:

cutting him mean the $58.3M is dead cap for GB on top of the already noted dead cap.  cutting him is meaning gutting the roster

And with the restructures already done, I believe it's literally impossible at this point to cut him.