Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

There should be no way the Packers go into the 2023 season without having Jordan Love under contract more than just 2023. It's not fair to the kid, you have to give him a vote of confidence. Either a team friendly extension which gets him some very good coin or 5th year option. 

Don't see this going any other way. 

What's wrong with giving him a long term deal, with a low base, but loaded with incentives? If he hits certain benchmarks, he gets big bonuses to get above the low base. There's all kinds of performance bonuses that could be part of the deal. That way the Packers are protected and Love is rewarded.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

What's wrong with giving him a long term deal, with a low base, but loaded with incentives? If he hits certain benchmarks, he gets big bonuses to get above the low base. There's all kinds of performance bonuses that could be part of the deal. That way the Packers are protected and Love is rewarded.

Why does Love go for that?  If he hits the benchmarks for those otherwise incentives but is playing on the 5th year he would be setting up for a much bigger guarantees deal

9 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I'd say minus guaranteed money there is no security for Love. They'd have to structure it go get him a certain amount of guaranteed money or it's not so enticing for Love to sign it. 

14 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I'd say minus guaranteed money there is no security for Love. They'd have to structure it go get him a certain amount of guaranteed money or it's not so enticing for Love to sign it. 

agreed.  from Love side of things, the framework of an extension builds around what the 5th year + what a 2025 FT would be.  5th year is around $20M, 2025 FT would be low $40'sM.

@Old Guy I think your 5 year $150 is not awful from Love side, but not sure GB would be willing to go that far before seeing Love play several games.  

2 hours ago, PackFan13 said:

Alot of money to pay someone that hasn't played. I think they pick up the 5th year. Not an ideal solution anyway you look at it. No way you sign him up multiple years without seeing him play a season. 

Yeah, gotta see him play.  I have no doubt they will pay him if he plays well.  They can still work a deal if they don't pick up the 5th year on Tuesday.  Signing him is important, but finding a way out is critical if things don't go well.

Edited by NFLGURU

9 hours ago, squire12 said:

agreed.  from Love side of things, the framework of an extension builds around what the 5th year + what a 2025 FT would be.  5th year is around $20M, 2025 FT would be low $40'sM.

@Old Guy I think your 5 year $150 is not awful from Love side, but not sure GB would be willing to go that far before seeing Love play several games.  

Agree, but that is the balancing act. If the Packers believe in Love, they do it. If they are not quite sure you do the 5th year option. If they really aren't all in on him, you do nothing today and let him play out his deal. 

It will be quite telling what happens today IMO.

Not sure why either side would want a long-term deal right now. The Packers in all likelihood exercise the 5th year option today then let the season playout on his current contract. Next offseason is the time to negotiate a long-term deal, not now. 

11 hours ago, PackFan13 said:

Alot of money to pay someone that hasn't played. I think they pick up the 5th year. Not an ideal solution anyway you look at it. No way you sign him up multiple years without seeing him play a season. 

Yeah it just seems like such an obvious pickup that it doesn't make sense to wait until the last minute.

The only logical explanation would be that they are offering him something else that's cheaper. 

15 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

Packers have not issued uniform numbers 2, 31 and 89 to any of the rookies. Mason Crosby, Adrian Amos and Marcedes Lewis. So there's a chance.

Nor 18 for that matter.

1 hour ago, pgwingman said:

Yeah it just seems like such an obvious pickup that it doesn't make sense to wait until the last minute.

The only logical explanation would be that they are offering him something else that's cheaper. 

Pretty much but Jordan Love wouldn't be very smart accepting a long term deal now unless he truly thinks he can't play. 

This is one of those things where I don't know what Gute is doing.. Just makes too much sense to sign him. 

1 hour ago, R T said:

Not sure why either side would want a long-term deal right now. The Packers in all likelihood exercise the 5th year option today then let the season playout on his current contract. Next offseason is the time to negotiate a long-term deal, not now. 

This. We don't have any room to add a much of a signing bonus to our cap right now. Plus, he hasn't started a single game for us on more than 2 days notice in his career. There's no motivation for either side to do anything else right now.