Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, R T said:

....Most of the core returns minus the QB from a team that was one of the favorites to win it all a year ago, yet now they have no chance and are in a rebuilt team mode. This team will be better this year in many areas than the team was a year ago, the OL now is fully healthy which was a huge negative last season. 

I'm not here trying to make a case the Packers will win the SB this season, but a playoff team should not be a surprise to fans either. ...

Agree, the team has a chance to get into the playoffs.  14 teams get into the playoffs, so all but a handful should figure they could, if things go right.  And for the Packers playing in the vulnerable NFC north, they've got a very plausible opportunity.  

Also agree that the OL being healthy could swing things a lot.  Healthy for now, that is; who knows how healthy they'll still be after a few practices or a few games.  But yeah, *IF* the OL being healthy and stable and young OL getting better results in significantly improved line play, that could really open things up for the offense.  (Running game, game-calling, TE usage, everything...).  *IF* the offense is a pleasant surprise, I think it will be because the OL is playing surprisingly well.  

Not sure I love the "was a favorite last year" logic.  The team was NOT a good team last year.  The offense struggled all year and was never good.  The defense struggled all year and wasn't particularly good.  It's not like this was a good team last year, and other than turning over a couple of vets we're bringing back some powerhouse.  We're basically bringing back the core of a losing team that kinda deserved to be a losing team.  Entering last year, there was the theory that the defense was going to be fantastic.  It never was and it never got close to being special.  14 teams get into the playoffs, and I think it's totally plausible that the defense could be a top-14 defense.  But I'm not envisioning some stifling top-3 defense.  

But yeah, I'll have hopes high for a playoff run.  And that will rest heavily on the o-line giving the offense a chance to work.  Better o-line play, better run game, more targets going out, and more talented young targets to send out.  It could be fun and a pleasant surprise if OL, Love, and MLF's play-calling all click.  

Speaking for myself, I would be plenty satisfied with a record around .500 for the 2023 season.  Anything above 9-8 is gravy to me, while anything below 7-10 would be disappointing.

Heading into 2022, my expectations were significantly higher.

Does that make 2023 a rebuilding/throw away season in my mind?  Who knows. Call it whatever you want. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

Agree 100% on that which is why I couldn't understand fans giving up on the season last year and wanting us to tank. When we still had a chance we should absolutely have been going all-out. 

There are two mentalities. The players and coaches should be doing absolutely everything to win now. Everything. Even if we are 0-7 we need to be giving everything to fight to the end.

From a GM perspective though. Doing everything you can to win now means taking resources from 2024 and beyond. In that regard 2023 isn't important relatively speaking. This isn't a year that the GMs should be doing everything that they can to maximise the win count for 2023. Its a year when they they should be doing everything they can to re-open the window for 2024 or beyond. 

Saying 2023 doesn't matter is a poor choice of words.  Obviously it does matter - in fact its a very important year to set up the future. 

This seems to state quite clearly how I see it. I'd be disappointed if players and coaches weren't out to stun the NFC North with excellent energy and team effort. I'd also be disappointed if Green Bay's F.O. weren't taking every step to see that 2024 had a sounder financial footing than 2023.

• Like 3

Just now, Uffdaswede said:

This seems to state quite clearly how I see it. I'd be disappointed if players and coaches weren't out to stun the NFC North with excellent energy and team effort. I'd also be disappointed if Green Bay's F.O. weren't taking every step to see that 2024 had a sounder financial footing than 2023.

I think it's a given that the players and coaches will be going into the season with high goals/expectations.

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Reaching much? Yes, yes you are.

Not even remotely. 

Explain why your expectations for 2023 are not higher than 8-9 and missing the playoffs. Otherwise this whole "realistic expectations" from a fan is complete malarkey and not realistic at all.

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Wonder if the Chiefs thought they were 'retooling' with Patrick Mahomes his first year as a starter?
Wonder if the Bengals did with Burrow?

Our guy has had three years to learn. It is not unreasonable to assume he's going to play far better than a 1st year rookie quarterback. He's probably got a better roster than most first year quarterbacks who start because those teams tend to be drafting in the top 10. 

I understand the 'getting the cap right!" The counterpoint to that is our roster is not bereft of talent like many of those young quarterbacks walk into. I believe in Jordan Love and will until he proves he's unworthy of that faith. 

Winning the North is not out of the question. 

And once you win the North anything can happen in the playoffs. 

Its just odd to me - we have an immensely talented roster, we got rid of players who weren't producing worth their paychecks, we have a promising young QB who I anticipate will perform at a Pro Bowl level in year one, one of the most talented defenses, and, get this - the 7th most cap space in the league - but some people are thinking this season doesn't matter or we don't have a chance.

I'm hungry for a Super Bowl and I'll be happy to see Love hoisting that trophy in February.

3 minutes ago, Sandy said:

Its just odd to me - we have an immensely talented roster, we got rid of players who weren't producing worth their paychecks, we have a promising young QB who I anticipate will perform at a Pro Bowl level in year one, one of the most talented defenses, and, get this - the 7th most cap space in the league - but some people are thinking this season doesn't matter or we don't have a chance.

I'm hungry for a Super Bowl and I'll be happy to see Love hoisting that trophy in February.

not sure that 7th most cap space is accurate

1 minute ago, Sandy said:

This. 

All this "rebuilding" and lowered expectations talk from fans is pure emotional hedging. Objectively, this is likely to be a more successful season than 2022. Yet we're supposed to buy this line of thought THIS year is a rebuild and last year was super bowl or bust?

Nah. 

• Like 1

Rodgers went 6-10 as a full time starter after a few years on the bench, and he went 8-9 with us last year.

We need less focus on Love, he'll be fine.  Expectations rest on young player growth from last year and health as always.

9 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Not even remotely. 

Explain why your expectations for 2023 are not higher than 8-9 and missing the playoffs. Otherwise this whole "realistic expectations" from a fan is complete malarkey and not realistic at all.

Where did I say those were my expectations? All I've said is I do not expect to win a Super Bowl this year, and that making the playoffs would be a great aiming point.

4 minutes ago, squire12 said:

not sure that 7th most cap space is accurate

Depends. OTC has us at 7th. Spotrac has us at 19th. Neither site has us with our backs against the wall like the Chicken Littles of the world want you to believe.

Not all draft picks have signed so this is subject to shake up (and part of the reason for the discrepancy between the two sites) I haven't dived too deep into the differences to see exactly which one is wrong and why. So I'll concede that my point may be exaggerated if the data I trusted (since OTC typically has been better than Spotrac for team cap space) is inaccurate.

Regardless, we have plenty of cap space right now to capitalize on the inevitable post-June 1 cuts, should we choose to.

12 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

This. 

All this "rebuilding" and lowered expectations talk from fans is pure emotional hedging. Objectively, this is likely to be a more successful season than 2022. Yet we're supposed to buy this line of thought THIS year is a rebuild and last year was super bowl or bust?

Nah. 

You're using hindsight to it's fullest (50/50) extent right here.

14 minutes ago, Sandy said:

Depends. OTC has us at 7th. Spotrac has us at 19th. Neither site has us with our backs against the wall like the Chicken Littles of the world want you to believe.

Not all draft picks have signed so this is subject to shake up (and part of the reason for the discrepancy between the two sites) I haven't dived too deep into the differences to see exactly which one is wrong and why. So I'll concede that my point may be exaggerated if the data I trusted (since OTC typically has been better than Spotrac for team cap space) is inaccurate.

Regardless, we have plenty of cap space right now to capitalize on the inevitable post-June 1 cuts, should we choose to.

Guy....guys. OTC....Spotrac.....when everybody knows it's Ingall's that matters :)

• Like 2