Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

11 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

I’m not saying Robinson ever get back there but Taylor was nowhere near Robinson before the injury. He had like 1,800 yards and 15 TDs in his first two seasons. If you go watch him back Then there was much more wow in His game than a patrick taylor

Yeah, not sure what Robinson has left, if anything.  Would seem unlikely that he'd be on the street if has anything left.  Not sure how he did it 2-3 years ago.  But yeah, he was 4.5 and 4.7 ypc for Jags, and caught 80 passes over 27 starts.   So efficiency numbers were better than anybody we've had other than Aaron Jones for a while.  

So *IF* you could get that guy back, he might be anti-awful?   But yeah, probably not that guy, and obviously our line is bad for run-blocking, probably much worse than he ran behind in Jacksonville?  

Compared to Taylor, Robinson is only a little younger than Taylor, so it's not really like this is a youth-driven replacement.  Obviously the hope is to help the running game; Taylor was fine as a ST guy and a pass-protect guy, but added nothing as a ball carrier.  

Robinson is 5 inches shorter than Taylor.  I do sometimes think shorter guys with shorter legs can slip under cracks a little better, and can be harder to tackle because they can get under taller defenders.  Shorter legs I imagine can stop-and-go a little more quickly than longer-levers.  So I'd love to see him show up healthy and be able to dart into some seams and get a few more 5-7 yard carries.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Refugee said:

There is much fanfare on how Kelce will “freestyle” and find all of the soft spots in the defense. It works because of the bond he has with Mahomes and both of them are good enough to have their coach’s trust. I’m sure it can still be frustrating for the other players.  It’s such a scripted sport, with the ball and the play reset with every possession.

In general, if a player is not staying true to the concept of the play, it can really gum up what everyone else is trying to do. Of course things break down or don’t go as planned and that is when improving is necessary but you probably want to see as little of that as possible with a young team. In the end, it’s “right” if it works for the QB and the QB is good enough to keep the ball moving. 

Yeah, I've always liked the concept of guys who respond to the defense and find the soft spots.  But maybe that takes a special kind of QB to make it work?  

I think the improv stuff makes it hard to evaluate.  If you have an agenda, you can always see what you want!  It's great! 

•   "Aaron only threw to Adams.  If you watch the All-22 you could see other guys were open.  Why not just throw to the open guy?  Blame it on Rodgers!" 
  • "Those guys weren't actually running the right routes, sure they were open but not in the right, expected spots!  Blame it on receivers." 
  • "Love is missing throws to open guys, and Love is throwing to the wrong guys when other guys are open!  Blame it on Love!" 
  • "Don't blame it on Love.  Always assume balls were thrown where they were supposed to go, and if the receiver isn't there assume the receiver ran the wrong route.  And if Love makes a difficult, contested throw when somebody else was much more open, always default to assuming the open guy probably ran the wrong route and that's why Love didn't go there."  
  • Heh heh, it's impossible as a fan to know whether "blame it on receiver" or "blame it on QB" is right!  I guess only the coaches who know their plays can tell.  
  • Like 2

On 10/19/2023 at 7:25 AM, craig said:

Yeah, not sure what Robinson has left, if anything.  Would seem unlikely that he'd be on the street if has anything left.  Not sure how he did it 2-3 years ago.  But yeah, he was 4.5 and 4.7 ypc for Jags, and caught 80 passes over 27 starts.   So efficiency numbers were better than anybody we've had other than Aaron Jones for a while.  

So *IF* you could get that guy back, he might be anti-awful?   But yeah, probably not that guy, and obviously our line is bad for run-blocking, probably much worse than he ran behind in Jacksonville?  

Compared to Taylor, Robinson is only a little younger than Taylor, so it's not really like this is a youth-driven replacement.  Obviously the hope is to help the running game; Taylor was fine as a ST guy and a pass-protect guy, but added nothing as a ball carrier.  

Robinson is 5 inches shorter than Taylor.  I do sometimes think shorter guys with shorter legs can slip under cracks a little better, and can be harder to tackle because they can get under taller defenders.  Shorter legs I imagine can stop-and-go a little more quickly than longer-levers.  So I'd love to see him show up healthy and be able to dart into some seams and get a few more 5-7 yard carries.  

Went back and watched some of his 2022 tape and he looked better than I expected.  Made Tremaine Edmunds miss in a phonebooth so he's still got something left at least.  Think he's a very nice street pick up honestly; he's a better fit for the offense than Taylor, but much more experienced than Wilson.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Went back and watched some of his 2022 tape and he looked better than I expected.  Made Tremaine Edmunds miss in a phonebooth so he's still got something left at least.  Think he's a very nice street pick up honestly; he's a better fit for the offense than Taylor, but much more experienced than Wilson.

He was a pretty solid back in Jax, but he probably wasn't a guy that could afford to lose any speed or explosion.  Hopefully he's gained some zip back after that achilles surgery, but that will be the question.  It's got a chances of being a pretty good pickup for GB.

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

He was a pretty solid back in Jax, but he probably wasn't a guy that could afford to lose any speed or explosion.  Hopefully he's gained some zip back after that achilles surgery, but that will be the question.  It's got a chances of being a pretty good pickup for GB.

Its purely pre/post injury. Pre injury - he had something going. Post injury - multiple teams have walked away from him. I'll be surprised if he shows more than Taylor did. Which is fine - so long as AJ & Dillon stay healthy....plus there's Wilson.

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Jaire got paid and can't stay on the field. Hope that is just a coincidence and we aren't stuck with another terrible contract. 

No worries, been reading the Packers can trade him for 3 first picks any time they want to. 

Read it on this forum so I'm sure it's true.