Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Sounds like Savage might be heading to IR. Massive dilemma at safety. Not to mention we are struggling to get Jaire and Stokes on the field with injuries as well. 

Ford is our best safety anyways. Just put Johnson Jr. in Savage's spot and let him get some experience. You probably won't notice much of a difference. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

So in 2020 the Packers draft Dillon in the 2nd round signaling a clear emphasis that LaFleur wanted to create that Henry-Titans style of play based on a powerful running game. Meanwhile, we continue the philosophy of drafting OL who are poor run blockers (Tom seemingly being the exception here). Fuels the fire for those who continue to claim that this team (and more specifically this offense) has zero identity. 

Square pegs into round holes. I've been saying it for a while. Do Gute and MLF even talk? Or is Gute so enamored by RAS scores, he ignores everything else?

8 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

So in 2020 the Packers draft Dillon in the 2nd round signaling a clear emphasis that LaFleur wanted to create that Henry-Titans style of play based on a powerful running game

I don't think they did. They wanted a RB#2 that was different in style to RB#1, and they did that to great effect last year by having the best running back duo in the League with Jones and Dillon.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, packfanfb said:

So in 2020 the Packers draft Dillon in the 2nd round signaling a clear emphasis that LaFleur wanted to create that Henry-Titans style of play based on a powerful running game. Meanwhile, we continue the philosophy of drafting OL who are poor run blockers (Tom seemingly being the exception here). Fuels the fire for those who continue to claim that this team (and more specifically this offense) has zero identity. 

my biggest disconnect with the offensive philosophy and the roster construction 

5 minutes ago, squire12 said:

my biggest disconnect with the offensive philosophy and the roster construction 

Myers should be a plus run blocker at C, and he is when he gets engaged, too many whiffs though. Jenkins is also a plus run blocker when healthy. Runyan is definitely a pass pro over run block guy and Bakh is too (although Bakh is a league average run blocker). 

Roster construction is fine, Myers and Jenkins need to play better, and Nijman needs to play LT.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Myers should be a plus run blocker at C, and he is when he gets engaged, too many whiffs though. Jenkins is also a plus run blocker when healthy. Runyan is definitely a pass pro over run block guy and Bakh is too (although Bakh is a league average run blocker). 

Roster construction is fine, Myers and Jenkins need to play better, and Nijman needs to play LT.

Roster construction is fine ... IF Myers and Jenkins play better, Nijman can fill in adequately and the play calling gets much better.  Still need more depth next year on the OL x 2. 

23 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm done trying to defend Myers.  He was drafted too high at non-premium to be this poor.

I'm not done defending JRJ.  He is what he is and he was drafted as such.  And he can function in the offense, but not when the center next to him plays as poorly as Myers.

• Like 3

Just now, vegas492 said:

I'm done trying to defend Myers.  He was drafted too high at non-premium to be this poor.

I'm not done defending JRJ.  He is what he is and he was drafted as such.  And he can function in the offense, but not when the center next to him plays as poorly as Myers.

Myers gets more hate than he deserves, but he is an average center at this point, which is a bit annoying for being the first center off the board ahead of the consensus #1 center, who is an All-Pro.

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Myers gets more hate than he deserves, but he is an average center at this point, which is a bit annoying for being the first center off the board ahead of the consensus #1 center, who is an All-Pro.

I know you say that enough to where you really believe it.

PFF and my eyeball test say he's a below average center.  #27 according to PFF.  His pass block score, though, is upper tier.  The run score is downright embarrassing.  Like me trying to spell embarrassing without using spellcheck.

• Like 1

"Jordan Love started his seventh career game on Sunday, against the Denver Broncos. It wasn’t a bad game, and it wasn’t a good game—only 180 yards on 31 attempts is pretty rough, but he had two scores, no sacks, and no interceptions until a third-and-20 desperation heave in the final two minutes. The Packers lost, 19-17.

Here’s the thing about a quarterback’s seventh start: A seven-game sample size isn’t even half a season. Through seven games, it’s really hard to say what you know and don’t know about a quarterback. On the season, Love is completing only 57.5 percent of his passes for 6.5 yards a pop; he’s thrown 10 touchdowns and seven interceptions. Through his first seven starts, Jalen Hurts was completing 58 percent of his passes for 7.4 yards a pop; he threw 10 touchdowns and five interceptions. Last year, Hurts almost won MVP.

You can cherry-pick a seven-game stretch from the careers of most NFL quarterbacks and make them look pretty rough or pretty unbeatable. That’s why we have film to watch—to help us figure out the quality of a quarterback’s play, independent of the weekly confluence of factors that make their production difficult to trust"

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2023/10/25/23931156/jordan-love-green-bay-packers-offense-contract-dilemma

"The Falcons are chock-full of rookie contracts on that side of the ball, and they’re dealing with knuckleheaded turnovers. The Colts are there too, even after the Anthony Richardson injury, and their offensive production is a coin flip every week.

But the Falcons and the Colts have time. Richardson and Desmond Ridder have as few starts to their name as Love does, but they have years of cost-controlled football left on their contracts. Ridder will be a Falcon and Richardson a Colt and Bryce Young a Panther and C.J. Stroud a Texan for the next few seasons. Their teams have time to let each player grow, develop, and prove they deserve the starting job and the second contract that every quarterback pursues.

The Packers don’t have that time with Love. Which makes the youth of the roster—and the challenges it presents in evaluating Love—all the more dire"