Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

42 minutes ago, Leader said:

"The Falcons are chock-full of rookie contracts on that side of the ball, and they’re dealing with knuckleheaded turnovers. The Colts are there too, even after the Anthony Richardson injury, and their offensive production is a coin flip every week.

But the Falcons and the Colts have time. Richardson and Desmond Ridder have as few starts to their name as Love does, but they have years of cost-controlled football left on their contracts. Ridder will be a Falcon and Richardson a Colt and Bryce Young a Panther and C.J. Stroud a Texan for the next few seasons. Their teams have time to let each player grow, develop, and prove they deserve the starting job and the second contract that every quarterback pursues.

The Packers don’t have that time with Love. Which makes the youth of the roster—and the challenges it presents in evaluating Love—all the more dire"

It is not even close to being 'dire'.

48 minutes ago, R T said:

It is not even close to being 'dire'.

In retrospect, I think this makes me really appreciate the 1-year extension that Love signed.  You've got another year to assess, if it's not clear yet after this season.  And even if the ultimate decision is that Love is not the long-term guy, he'd still be able to be the starter when next season begins, assuming you don't want to be immediately starting a new draft-pick QB when next season begins.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, craig said:

In retrospect, I think this makes me really appreciate the 1-year extension that Love signed.  You've got another year to assess, if it's not clear yet after this season.  And even if the ultimate decision is that Love is not the long-term guy, he'd still be able to be the starter when next season begins, assuming you don't want to be immediately starting a new draft-pick QB when next season begins.  

Then Jordan wins 2x MVPs and everyone cries that we wasted a pick on a QB instead of Tee Higgins cousin.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ham Sammich said:

Stokes to IR. What a triumphant return. 

https://x.com/RobDemovsky/status/1717258630494290059?s=20

I've reached the point this season (week 8) where I'm not even looking at the injury report before the game. I've accepted that it really doesn't matter at this point. Kind of refreshing actually. 

Edited by packfanfb

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

I've reached the point this season (week 😎 where I'm not even looking at the injury report before the game. I've accepted that it really doesn't matter at this point. Kind of refreshing actually. 

As a veteran of the 70's and 80's I can tell you injuries are just part of the profile of a bad team. Always lot's of injuries, even in practice, injuries; then there's always a key mistake by one of your best players at a crucial moment in a game; drafting the wrong player is part of it too (so don't fret about draft position, it doesn't matter); add dumb coaching decisions to the mix, and failure to hold anyone accountable by not making any changes to personnel at all levels, and, voila! You have a losing team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PACKRULE said:

Maybe drafting all RAS players is not ideal. Sometimes we may need to get out of that box and draft some footballers. 

IDK if there's any actual truth to this but I'm not sure we're that much more obsessed with it than the average. You sneak into every teams forum before the draft and it seems like they're all OMG I BET WE LOVE THIS HIGH RAS GUY, OUR YEAH LOOOOVES HIGH RAS. Or maybe good athletes just make good pro athletes? So like they get drafted high, or a lot. 

8 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

We've come full circle back to Gunter and Ricky Elmore.

There's no winning. Hawk was a nutso athletic LBer in college but nobody believes me. But he was slow. Remember when that guy used to call tramon Slomo or some ****. 

You just point to the "opposite" of what you think you're doing when things go bad as the answer. 

Just now, Norm said:

There's no winning. Hawk was a nutso athletic LBer in college but nobody believes me. But he was slow. Remember when that guy used to call tramon Slomo or some ****. 

You just point to the "opposite" of what you think you're doing when things go bad as the answer. 

******* slowpoke. 

Haha and it was only like 4 years ago we NEED SPEED WERE SO SLOW.

Who are we even pining for? Is it just Brian Branch? It's not like HaHa was an RASlete. Jake Hanson was nowhere near a RASlete.

At the top of the draft I'm OK with continuing to take high end athletes that look like they know how to play some ball.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

******* slowpoke. 

Haha and it was only like 4 years ago we NEED SPEED WERE SO SLOW.

Who are we even pining for? Is it just Brian Branch? It's not like HaHa was an RASlete. Jake Hanson was nowhere near a RASlete.

At the top of the draft I'm OK with continuing to take high end athletes that look like they know how to play some ball.

Lolol I love that you know it was slowpoke. 

But yeah it makes no sense. Drafting good athletes is a good thing. It's not like we take guys who were throwing discus and not playing football. 

• Like 1