Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

9 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Again, who cares? 

BREAKING NEWS: Fans were optimistic about their team! So were Bears fans, Viking fans, Giants fans, etc...

You're either tanking or optimistic as a fan before the season. 

This is such a weird take to have. Try to shove our faces in it because we were optimistic. Next year I'll be sure to post, "well if x,y,z happen to occur, the Packers will be good, BUT let me make sure I also quantify that if a,b,c occur instead, the Packers will be bad."

I think most of us did that anyway. The obvious caveats for this year (in my opinion) were OL and Joe Barry. Both of which have severely underwhelmed. Barry, predictably. The OL is more of a surprise (to me). 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Again, who cares? 

BREAKING NEWS: Fans were optimistic about their team! So were Bears fans, Viking fans, Giants fans, etc...

You're either tanking or optimistic as a fan before the season. 

This is such a weird take to have. Try to shove our faces in it because we were optimistic. Next year I'll be sure to post, "well if x,y,z happen to occur, the Packers will be good, BUT let me make sure I also quantify that if a,b,c occur instead, the Packers will be bad."

It's not about shoving it in people's faces because I'd be shoving it into my own face. I drank the cool-aid too. It's about identifying the problems, or perhaps for some, even admitting some of the problems. I would think those are legitimate topics to discuss. 

Just now, packfanfb said:

It's not about shoving it in people's faces because I'd be shoving it into my own face. I drank the cool-aid too. It's about identifying the problems, or perhaps for some, even admitting some of the problems. I would think those are legitimate topics to discuss. 

I think the biggest problem is that fans want their team to be good so they ignore potential flaws. We clearly ignored how hard it is for a game where offense that relies on rhythm and timing to just magically start off on fire. I also think if you would've said going into week 1, Doubs and Watson would be hurt, and leaving week 1, Bakh would be done for the year and Jones would have an injury lingering into Nov, we'd have quickly moved off the hype train. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I think the biggest problem is that fans want their team to be good so they ignore potential flaws. We clearly ignored how hard it is for a game where offense that relies on rhythm and timing to just magically start off on fire. I also think if you would've said going into week 1, Doubs and Watson would be hurt, and leaving week 1, Bakh would be done for the year and Jones would have an injury lingering into Nov, we'd have quickly moved off the hype train. 

Losing BAK sure was a setback....no question about it....but perhaps given his recent injury hassles, that could have been predicted more than the IOL's (apparent) disintegration.

6 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think Ford is the best of the bunch and I don't really want to pay him big money.

safeties really have been taking their lumps in FA.  might be the RB of the defense in terms of contracts being "too cheap"

If we want Ford back I'm sure we can have him

• Like 1

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I think most of us did that anyway. The obvious caveats for this year (in my opinion) were OL and Joe Barry. Both of which have severely underwhelmed. Barry, predictably. The OL is more of a surprise (to me). 

The expectations for the defense were always the weirdest thing for me about the pre-season optimism.  I never understood it.  The defense is exactly what I expected it to be.  Maybe that's why it's not bothering me all that much.  This is what they will be until Barry is replaced.

Even with the Bak injury, the play of the OL is kind of shocking.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

The expectations for the defense were always the weirdest thing for me about the pre-season optimism.  I never understood it.  The defense is exactly what I expected it to be.  Maybe that's why it's not bothering me all that much.  This is what they will be until Barry is replaced.

Even with the Bak injury, the play of the OL is kind of shocking.

100%

Team hasn't stopped the run since AJ Hawk.

Most of the "talent" that was supposed to overcome the DC deficiency is also pretty overrated or not yet matured.

17 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

safeties really have been taking their lumps in FA.  might be the RB of the defense in terms of contracts being "too cheap"

If we want Ford back I'm sure we can have him

It's pretty bleak in that safety room, and looks to be barren in 2024.  Hopefully they can work something out with him and then draft a safety or two.  I think he's played pretty well during his time in GB.