Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

31 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

It really is too bad this team stinks.  This schedule is crazy easy.

No ****. Talk about a year to be a Lions fan. They get 6 North games without facing Rodgers, Cousins or even Fields for that matter. 

34 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Yup. Oh well. Had to happen sometime. The goal now is to get back on our feet as quickly as possible.
Clearing the bank accounts will be a start....and hopefully, the experience these guys are getting now makes them better veterans down the line. That's not a given...but it certainly is the hope....that plus, we plug the holes in our OL. Nothings gonna go well till we get that unit functioning properly again.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

No ****. Talk about a year to be a Lions fan. They get 6 North games without facing Rodgers, Cousins or even Fields for that matter. 

That Detroit schedule is why I feel they should have been buyers today.  Maybe they tried, but wouldn't go over a certain price while other teams did.  

Just feels like they are in a great spot to push for a top 1-2 seed in the NFC and adding a piece (more than DPJ) would have been prudent.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I I had predicted potentially at 12-5 season and that wasn't even with me thinking the team was that great. 

4 games vs MN and Chi, 4 games vs the NFC S, 4 games vs the AFC W? Games vs the Rams, NYG, and Steelers? 

Any mid team going into the season (thinking like, oh, Chargers or Seahawks level) would look at those 15 games and think they *should* win 14 of them..."should" here meaning "don't beat ourselves with penalties or turnovers"

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, squire12 said:

That Detroit schedule is why I feel they should have been buyers today.  Maybe they tried, but wouldn't go over a certain price while other teams did.  

Just feels like they are in a great spot to push for a top 1-2 seed in the NFC and adding a piece (more than DPJ) would have been prudent.  

If they could have added either Sweat or Young, they might have been the favorites. I imagine they would have had to offer a 1st for Sweat just based on where the Bears 2nd would fall in comparison with the Lions 1st. 

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

I didn’t think we’d be a good team this year but I thought we could play solid and still win 10+ games this year with the number of awful teams. We are one of the awfuls.  I should not be surprised under the reality of the roster but it still stings. Long way to go to get something salvaged and turn this thing around. 

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

If they could have added either Sweat or Young, they might have been the favorites. I imagine they would have had to offer a 1st for Sweat just based on where the Bears 2nd would fall in comparison with the Lions 1st. 

Young for a 3rd to SF is criminal. Strong chance they get a 3rd round comp pick if he plays well but walks. I guess I’m glad he didn’t end up in the division but Detroit could have made that deal easy. 

6 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I didn’t think we’d be a good team this year but I thought we could play solid and still win 10+ games this year with the number of awful teams. We are one of the awfuls.  I should not be surprised under the reality of the roster but it still stings. Long way to go to get something salvaged and turn this thing around. 

I was figuring 8 or 9 wins this year, but it's been way worse than I thought it would be on offense.  I figured Love would make his fair share of mistakes along with the young cast, but I never saw this team flat out struggling to pick up first downs for long periods of the game.  It's been a complete mess .. so bad that all you can do is assign blame to the entire organization.  

4 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Regarding Jordy, his final year in GB was 482 yards and 6 TDs.  The WR room had prime Cobb and Davante as well.  Then they added the promising class of:  Moore, MVS, St. Brown, and Lazard to the two vets.  That is a move that makes sense.  And all of those new guys combined were less than Jordy.  

I really like the pass catchers that we have right now.  But we would likely be in a better spot if we had just ponied up a little bit more to keep Randall Cobb around to be the leader in the room.  And now we are here.  We made our bed, now we sleep in it.

For sure, but this guy in charge swapped Jordy Nelson and his invaluable 3rd down and red zone chemistry with Rodgers,  for Jimmy Graham... for more Money - a lot of ******* money. 

12 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I was figuring 8 or 9 wins this year, but it's been way worse than I thought it would be on offense.  I figured Love would make his fair share of mistakes along with the young cast, but I never saw this team flat out struggling to pick up first downs for long periods of the game.  It's been a complete mess .. so bad that all you can do is assign blame to the entire organization.  

I mean, we lost to the Raiders and the Broncos. Can’t really scrape the bottom harder than that. It’s time to do some soul searching but we’re getting to the point where I’d rather lose a bunch of close ones while showing some fight and growth from the offense but it’s truly all about next year for this team. We’re going to be seeing a lot of young guys playing as evidenced by Sul’s departure. 

4 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I mean, we lost to the Raiders and the Broncos. Can’t really scrape the bottom harder than that. It’s time to do some soul searching but we’re getting to the point where I’d rather lose a bunch of close ones while showing some fight and growth from the offense but it’s truly all about next year for this team. We’re going to be seeing a lot of young guys playing as evidenced by Sul’s departure. 

Yep .. the team is not in any way a contender, so the higher the picks the better.  Hopefully they can start showing themselves to at least be competent on the offensive side of the ball.  Defense is always going to have the Barry factor, so we're never going to see any sustained success there. 

12 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I I had predicted potentially at 12-5 season and that wasn't even with me thinking the team was that great. 

4 games vs MN and Chi, 4 games vs the NFC S, 4 games vs the AFC W? Games vs the Rams, NYG, and Steelers? 

Any mid team going into the season (thinking like, oh, Chargers or Seahawks level) would look at those 15 games and think they *should* win 14 of them..."should" here meaning "don't beat ourselves with penalties or turnovers"

I went into it thinking we would be a little bit below average.  We had 12-14 games that we *could* win not necessarily *should* BUT we stink on ice.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Laces Out said:

For sure, but this guy in charge swapped Jordy Nelson and his invaluable 3rd down and red zone chemistry with Rodgers,  for Jimmy Graham... for more Money - a lot of ******* money. 

Hindsight really poo poos that move.  I don't like bringing in either Marty B or Jimmy G to try to patch up our TE room woes.  Turns out, we really should have just paid Cook, he would have been more productive than either of those two and I believe he was cheaper as well.  And, as it turns out, Jordy's season with the Raiders was more productive than Moore, or ESB ever had, and on par with the best seasons that MVS and Lazard had for the Packers. 

To me, I have a hard time holding this as a negative against Gute.  It is a logical set of moves that brings more youth to the WR room, and attempts to fix the TE room.  It kind of worked.  MVS and Lazard were productive players behind Davante Adams.  The TE room was still a mess, but I think we kind of lucked our way into a good Robert Tonyan season.  

• Like 2