Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

10 hours ago, Refugee said:

I mean, we lost to the Raiders and the Broncos. Can’t really scrape the bottom harder than that. It’s time to do some soul searching but we’re getting to the point where I’d rather lose a bunch of close ones while showing some fight and growth from the offense but it’s truly all about next year for this team. We’re going to be seeing a lot of young guys playing as evidenced by Sul’s departure. 

Therein lies the problem.  It is currently unwatchable.  We do it because we are fanatics.  But there isn't a guy in Boise Idaho that is thrilled to get Packers-anybody on his local game of the week.  This current Packers team is in the same realm of me watching the Steelers or Redskins.  Just a boring, not good, brand of football.  I don't recall which Packers writer said that at least the 2005 team was fun to watch go down in flames.  This team is currently completely unable to move the ball, and gives up 6.5 yards per play on defense with nothing exciting happening either good or bad.

17 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Hindsight really poo poos that move.  I don't like bringing in either Marty B or Jimmy G to try to patch up our TE room woes.  Turns out, we really should have just paid Cook, he would have been more productive than either of those two and I believe he was cheaper as well.  And, as it turns out, Jordy's season with the Raiders was more productive than Moore, or ESB ever had, and on par with the best seasons that MVS and Lazard had for the Packers. 

To me, I have a hard time holding this as a negative against Gute.  It is a logical set of moves that brings more youth to the WR room, and attempts to fix the TE room.  It kind of worked.  MVS and Lazard were productive players behind Davante Adams.  The TE room was still a mess, but I think we kind of lucked our way into a good Robert Tonyan season.  

Moving on from the 33 year old Jordy was the obvious thing to do.  Replacing him with the 32 year old Graham is what didn't make a ton of sense.

Looking back, I think the way the TE Cook situation went down two years earlier was probably one of the triggers that started Rodgers on his anti-FO path.  We already know he wasn't happy with how Jordy was handled.

Edited by Mazrimiv
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Therein lies the problem.  It is currently unwatchable.  We do it because we are fanatics.  But there isn't a guy in Boise Idaho that is thrilled to get Packers-anybody on his local game of the week.  This current Packers team is in the same realm of me watching the Steelers or Redskins.  Just a boring, not good, brand of football.  I don't recall which Packers writer said that at least the 2005 team was fun to watch go down in flames.  This team is currently completely unable to move the ball, and gives up 6.5 yards per play on defense with nothing exciting happening either good or bad.

I've said the same thing to a couple of people. I miss the days of losing 35-34 when the defense was abysmal but we were putting up points. This brand of offense is so beyond what even I thought the basement could end up being this year. 

13 hours ago, squire12 said:

That Detroit schedule is why I feel they should have been buyers today.  Maybe they tried, but wouldn't go over a certain price while other teams did.  

Just feels like they are in a great spot to push for a top 1-2 seed in the NFC and adding a piece (more than DPJ) would have been prudent.  

With the 49ers and Eagles looking vulnerable I can see why they didn't.  Yes, Dallas smoked the Rams but earlier they lost to the Cards and the 9ers on the road.  If they continue to play like they have been they will be tough to beat come January, especially if they get the top seed.

14 hours ago, squire12 said:

That Detroit schedule is why I feel they should have been buyers today.  Maybe they tried, but wouldn't go over a certain price while other teams did.  

Just feels like they are in a great spot to push for a top 1-2 seed in the NFC and adding a piece (more than DPJ) would have been prudent.  

My best guess is that DET seems pretty careful about who they add to that locker room.  Campbell probably didn't want to add a hired gun who might not fit the culture he's worked to build up these past few years.

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Moving on from the 33 year old Jordy was the obvious thing to do.  Replacing him with the 32 year old Graham is what didn't make a ton of sense.

Looking back, I think the way the TE Cook situation went down two years earlier was probably one of the triggers that started Rodgers on his anti-FO path.  We already know he wasn't happy with how Jordy was handled.

Graham might have been an add to appease Aaron .. I recall them being fairly tight friends when he was in GB.  

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

But the guys here and on Twitter who don't watch film or know the line calls tell me he sucks?

"GM extends over-exaggerated flattery towards a player he drafted and wants to succeed." More news at 11. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Do you agree with Gute then?

I don't know the line calls either. I know Myers is playing really well in pass pro, and is the only OL on the field that gets movement in the run game. He whiffs way too much, but is the whiff because he effed up or because one of his guards did? That I cannot tell you.