Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

lol or you could just design non-**** plays

Yeah...I didnt understand where he was going with the "you have to earn the right" comment.
I'd imagine he provided fuller context in the presser (or wherever this quote originated).

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Yeah...I didnt understand where he was going with the "you have to earn the right" comment.
I'd imagine he provided fuller context in the presser (or wherever this quote originated).

Everything that comes out of his mouth these days just says "I have no idea wtf I'm doing" and inspires no confidence. Man might be more lost than his players.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

I think he's just saying that his offense has been so bad that they aren't getting many good deep looks for Watson.  I say lets just figure out how to get the ball in his hands and hope he can translate something into a big play with his speed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

He means we need defenses to respect the run game to free up deep, open looks vs single high safety. Have to "earn" those defensive looks that are advantageous to throw deep against 

Could be. I'm going to listen to his presser.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

This idea that he needs to be hit deep is comical. Just scheme something up to get him open across the middle and let his speed work. The contested boundary routes are doing the kid no favors. Get him in the open field.

This ^

6 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

This idea that he needs to be hit deep is comical. Just scheme something up to get him open across the middle and let his speed work. The contested boundary routes are doing the kid no favors. Get him in the open field.

4 minute mark

https://www.packers.com/video/matt-lafleur-likes-cb-carrington-valentine-s-approach-week-9-2023

21 minutes ago, Leader said:

With his line of thinking, don’t you need to establish the run before you “earn the right” to run play action (which he often has called right out of the box).  Don’t you need certain plays to work before you “earn the right” to run jet sweeps and misdirection so that they will actually work?

2 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

With his line of thinking, don’t you need to establish the run before you “earn the right” to run play action (which he often has called right out of the box).  Don’t you need certain plays to work before you “earn the right” to run jet sweeps and misdirection so that they will actually work?

I posted link to the presser where this came from....and he has a manner of speaking thats far from direct. What I took from it was the Packers in some (unspecified) way need to offensively dictate coverages. Now they appear to be seeing a lot of soft zones....so simply chucking it deep isnt gonna pay off too often.

5 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Partially right but Watson basically stops running after beating the CB. So he stopped running to be covered instead of running into coverage? If he's an option on that play, where else is Love supposed to put the ball? I'm not saying Watson needed to run full bore the whole route, he just doesn't need to jog after beating his man. You can't anticipate a jog as a QB. 

CB is in zone, he's not trying to run with Watson.  Watson knows his man is staying underneath as soon as he gets a step on him and the CB starts turning back to the QB instead of trying to stay in phase.  Keeping in mind how much easier it is to second guess from the tape, IMO this one is much more on Love than it is on Watson.  If you have a mile of field open there's no need to try and drop it into a bucket on the throw.  He's greatly reducing the likelihood of success for a chance at a TD instead of merely getting the ball to the 10 with a chance at a TD if Watson can make the safety miss.  Not to mention if Watson runs flat out there, he's in very real danger of getting laid out by the safety as he makes the catch - The ball and the safety arrive on the spot much too close together for comfort.

This play to me looks like inexperience and the rigidity that comes with trying to fix a faltering operation with stricter rules.  Love doesn't look at Watson on this play; he's holding the safety almost until he's letting go of the ball.  In a lot of scenarios I'd applaud that, but this was a situation where you can and should know you can afford to spot your throw a bit.  The safety is on the numbers and never turns his hip inside; there's space due to the vertical depth but it's going to reduce quickly once the ball is out.  Since the safety is so deep, if you target the end zone you're giving the safety essentially a flat route to the ball, which also accelerates how quickly he'll arrive.  Love is trying to make this play by playing perfect football - hold the safety on the spot until the last possible second then deliver a perfect dime to the exact right spot on the field.  That's a hard way to play football, especially for a team that struggles to execute even the easiest possible plays.

• Like 2