Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

3 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Not gonna lie, I wanted Dez that year 🙈 Glad they took Bulaga. When healthy he was damn good. 

Bulaga, Sitton, Lang, Bahktiari , Linsley

What a group. I can’t believe they never got back to the big one. How sad 

The way you listed that line drives me nuts.

Dislike button.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Dislike button.

It’s incredibly depressing. As time goes on and emotion intensity decreases , it’s going to be hard to look back at that. 

So much talent ( on the offense ) and so much heartbreak. It’s going to sting for a long time 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, squire12 said:

Nixon is averaging 26.4 yards per KOR.  If he catches the KO 5 yards deep in the endzone and returns it for his average, GB would start at the 21.4 yard line.  That is a 3.6 yard net loss in field position vs if he had taken a knee.

so what you're saying is that it's 2yd + whatever yd line he catches it on each time?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Dislike button.

Yeah, that is nails on the chalk board starting with not putting the center in the center. 

Interestingly enough, Bulaga was 100% written in stone to be our next LT before blowing out his ACL at the last family night scrimmage we’ll ever see. Marshall Newhouse got the nod in panic and was quickly supplanted by an unknown rookie 4th rounder from the University of Colorado.  

10 hours ago, incognito_man said:

so what you're saying is that it's 2yd + whatever yd line he catches it on each time?

What I'm saying is...do the math.  Look at where he catches it and tell me the average.  Go ahead, I know you have the time.

And when it is all said and done, I'll maintain that the reason fans wail against him returning kicks is because of two things...penalties and injuries.  Risk versus reward.  It isn't really hard to understand.  And when you look at the NFL teams, the overwhelming majority of them have decided that the risk is not worth it.

But we aren't most teams, and I get why.  

To me, we need the risk because our offense really, really needs the reward.  

14 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

What I'm saying is...do the math.  Look at where he catches it and tell me the average.  Go ahead, I know you have the time.

And when it is all said and done, I'll maintain that the reason fans wail against him returning kicks is because of two things...penalties and injuries.  Risk versus reward.  It isn't really hard to understand.  And when you look at the NFL teams, the overwhelming majority of them have decided that the risk is not worth it.

But we aren't most teams, and I get why.  

To me, we need the risk because our offense really, really needs the reward.  

while you're correct that i've gotten to a point in my work life where I an pick and choose my hours and **** around on the internet while multitasking, I also choose not to do other random internet people's work for them.

I have not made any claims that require any additional supporting evidence. It is YOUR duty to support YOUR claims w/ evidence or risk being dismissed. Because 'that which is asserted without evidence may be dismissed without reason'.

So, until YOU find evidence to support YOUR stance, I will continue to dismiss your take.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

while you're correct that i've gotten to a point in my work life where I an pick and choose my hours and **** around on the internet while multitasking, I also choose not to do other random internet people's work for them.

I have not made any claims that require any additional supporting evidence. It is YOUR duty to support YOUR claims w/ evidence or risk being dismissed. Because 'that which is asserted without evidence may be dismissed without reason'.

So, until YOU find evidence to support YOUR stance, I will continue to dismiss your take.

A wise man on here, or at least a man on here once told me that when you make claims that concern the math, all I have to do is ask you to do the math and you will not.  And here we are.  You are deflecting.  And that sounds about right.

The post in question was about our kick returner and you talked about how fans wail against us returning kickoffs despite having the league's best doing it.

I told you why fans wail against it.  Injury and penalties.

I've said it many times, while I get the argument against returning kicks, risk versus reward, I value our returns because our offense really needs them.

So again, the third time, I support what we are doing.  But I also get why others are against it.  And it seems like the overwhelming majority of the NFL teams support fair catching or taking a knee.  But we aren't most NFL teams.  

58 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

A wise man on here, or at least a man on here once told me that when you make claims that concern the math, all I have to do is ask you to do the math and you will not.

I'm very confused (and now totally uninterested in continuing this). I'm not making any claims. You are.

So that wise man was correct. Show us the math to support your claims.

32 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I'm very confused (and now totally uninterested in continuing this). I'm not making any claims. You are.

So that wise man was correct. Show us the math to support your claims.

Guess I'll have to because that is something that you simply do not do.

Keep this in mind, and I'll S-P-E-L-L it out for you, again.  I'm in favor of having Nixon return kickoffs.

That being said, PFF did the math and here's how Nixon shakes out for kick returners.

He's #11 in the league for returning kicks, per his grade of 64.9.

He's #15 in the league for a return average, regardless of where he catches the ball.  

Many ahead of him have far fewer returns, so that tells me that they are making great decisions in when to return and when to give up and take the ball at the 25.

Nixon has 19 kickoff returns, the next highest total is Shaheed with 16.  Gibson with 14.  Thompkins at 11.  Berrios at 10.  Obviously our philosophy is to have as many returns as we can.  Others in the NFL do not see it the same way.

Punt returns is where Nixon has shined, coming in at #4 in the league with a score of 82.6.  8 returns, 99 yards.  No fair catches.  

38 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

To me the kick return thing is simple, you don't pay a guy 4m to take knees.

Throw analytics out the window, you paid the guy, so let him return, doesn't matter if it's halfway in the endzone.

Take issue with it? Fault Gute for paying the guy. 

There is certainly analytics at play on kickoffs.  

Also true...we did pay him.  And he's a starter on defense.  But, you are right, we paid him to return.  So despite what analytics says, let him return.  Our offense needs as much help as it can get.

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

There is certainly analytics at play on kickoffs.  

Also true...we did pay him.  And he's a starter on defense.  But, you are right, we paid him to return.  So despite what analytics says, let him return.  Our offense needs as much help as it can get.

I agree but only because this season is so starved for positive yardage , especially in the first half. The flip side is he has put our anemic offense well behind the 20 a few times when a fair catch even out of the end zone gives you an automatic 25. With the new rules, the gamble has shifted a bit and we need our guy to make a quick diagnosis and occasionally just take the yards. 

9 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Guess I'll have to because that is something that you simply do not do.

Keep this in mind, and I'll S-P-E-L-L it out for you, again.  I'm in favor of having Nixon return kickoffs.

That being said, PFF did the math and here's how Nixon shakes out for kick returners.

He's #11 in the league for returning kicks, per his grade of 64.9.

He's #15 in the league for a return average, regardless of where he catches the ball.  

Many ahead of him have far fewer returns, so that tells me that they are making great decisions in when to return and when to give up and take the ball at the 25.

Nixon has 19 kickoff returns, the next highest total is Shaheed with 16.  Gibson with 14.  Thompkins at 11.  Berrios at 10.  Obviously our philosophy is to have as many returns as we can.  Others in the NFL do not see it the same way.

Punt returns is where Nixon has shined, coming in at #4 in the league with a score of 82.6.  8 returns, 99 yards.  No fair catches.  

posting PFF scores is not "doing the math" lol

you and someone else were talking about comparing the depth in the end zone of where he's been catching the football as an argument against him.

PFF scores might be somewhat useful for returners, I don't think anybody here has any idea if they are, though