Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I don't know if I'd call it "the thick".....we're just trying to wiggle into the thin end (7 seed).

Beat the Chiefs? Then I start thinking maybe GB has a shot at getting into the thick of things.

The odds for GB making the playoffs are coming in at ~50%

They are in the thick of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

The past with Bakh is irrelevant. He wouldn't have chosen to miss the entire season if this surgery didn't have a high chance of success to alleviate his symptoms.  I'm not saying it's time to offer another multi year deal, but if he's willing to renegotiate for 2024, I'd much rather him be on our roster for a 30m hit than on someone else's for 20m. 

I'm curious what you think he could negotiate down to. His $9.5 Roster bonus probably stays, so the only thing you could modify is his $10.7M base salary. If he takes a $5-6M paycut, that still puts him in the middle of the pack in terms of 2024 cash. 

I guess in the end it just depends what another team would be willing to offer him. But who's going to offer more than, say, $8-10M for a guy in his shape?

The bigger question, in my mind, is if a $5-6M pay cut is enough to get the Packers under the cap for 2024?

Edited by pgwingman

4 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

I'm curious what you think he could negotiate down to. His $9.5 Roster bonus probably stays, so the only thing you could modify is his $10.7M base salary. If he takes a $5-6M paycut, that still puts him in the middle of the pack in terms of 2024 cash. 

I guess in the end it just depends what another team would be willing to offer him. But who's going to offer more than, say, $8-10M for a guy in his shape?

The bigger question, in my mind, is if a $5-6M pay cut is enough to get the Packers under the cap for 2024?

I'm going the Jones route, to stay you need to flat take a cut, not restructure. I'm not pushing anymore Bakh money into future years. Can give him a nice deal based on incentives for games played, as it's a relatively fair incentive and can be considered NLTBE since h didn't play this year. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm going the Jones route, to stay you need to flat take a cut, not restructure. I'm not pushing anymore Bakh money into future years. Can give him a nice deal based on incentives for games played, as it's a relatively fair incentive and can be considered NLTBE since h didn't play this year. 

This is the only way forward with him on the roster.  But I'm not holding out hope for that knee.  it's been 3 years basically

19M is a better bet to improve the roster spent elsewhere than to keep him on the roster and have him probably not play again.  And I would bet he sees more money elsewhere from a team that is looking for that final piece.

41 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Yeah I can see this being a very reasonable case. If you sit down with Bakh and say "hey, you're $10M at most on the open market. If you stay here, we'll pay you $12M with incentives, and you'll go down as a Packer legend" 

By my estimate, the Packers are about $20M over the 2024 cap right now, factoring in everything. If you save $5M from Jones and $7M from Bakh, you're over halfway there.

51 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

What are you talking about? He's got a roster bonus and a workout bonus combined worth 1.3 million. His base salary is 20.2 million for 2024. 

Based on how many games he played on his four-year contract, I'd want him to take 5 million or leave. No way I'm paying the dude more than that with a wrecked knee. 

David Bakhtiari Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap

4 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

Yeah I can see this being a very reasonable case. If you sit down with Bakh and say "hey, you're $10M at most on the open market. If you stay here, we'll pay you $12M with incentives, and you'll go down as a Packer legend" 

By my estimate, the Packers are about $20M over the 2024 cap right now, factoring in everything. If you save $5M from Jones and $7M from Bakh, you're over halfway there.

Where are you getting your information? We currently sit 22 million under the 2024 cap. With the potential to carry over 6.4 million from 2023 as it stands today. 

Green Bay Packers Salary Cap | Over the Cap

Edited by Old Guy

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

What are you talking about? He's got a roster bonus and a workout bonus combined worth 1.3 million. His base salary is 20.2 million for 2024. 

Based on how many games he played on his four-year contract, I'd want him to take 5 million or leave. No way I'm paying the dude more than that with a wrecked knee. 

David Bakhtiari Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap

Ah, looks like a difference in accounting. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/david-bakhtiari-12390/

Looks like OTC lumps roster bonus and base salary together since they are all cash in the same year.

My assumption is that the roster bonus can't/won't be cut. But base salary is probably on the table.

Just releasing Bakhtiari could be tricky.  I've heard mention that he could file an injury grievance and if he won he'd get all of his dough.  it's going to be interesting to see how it all plays out.  I doubt he retires since there is so much dough on the line.  He doesn't seem like the type that will just walk away from it.  I think he and Packers have a decent relationship, so hopefully something can be worked out.  He very well might wind up back in GB for another go.

10 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

We're 6-7m under? Where are you getting you estimates from? 

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Just releasing Bakhtiari could be tricky.  I've heard mention that he could file an injury grievance and if he won he'd get all of his dough.  it's going to be interesting to see how it all plays out.  I doubt he retires since there is so much dough on the line.  He doesn't seem like the type that will just walk away from it.  I think he and Packers have a decent relationship, so hopefully something can be worked out.  He very well might wind up back in GB for another go.

If he passes the physical and then goes and plays for another team, he's got no chance of winning. We paid him three damn years with little to no return. 

If he and the doctors claim him fit, then we has no case. There is a likelihood he comes to the realization he can't play anymore and that could be a different story. That would require an injury settlement and pretty sure given the past three years it won't be the whole salary. 

3 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Where are you getting your information? We currently sit 22 million under the 2024 cap. With the potential to carry over 6.4 million from 2023 as it stands today. 

Green Bay Packers Salary Cap | Over the Cap

Where are you getting yours?  I'm looking at Spotrac.  We are like 5.4M under right now in 2023.

2024 has us at 6.1M under.  And from what I'm seeing, that includes rollover.

That is without making any moves.  As I look at things, we can save some money by releasing guys like Aaron Jones, Preston Smith, Campbell....but we clear only a couple million per guy from that list.

Bakh is the big one where we can clear 20M.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap/2024/

Weird, I'm looking at OTC and these numbers do not match at all.