Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

14 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

He caught 3 TDs in one game last year. He showed it last year too.

I feel differently.

This was the first game that I saw him run some very precise routes.  And not just one, but many.  Kid was almost breaking ankles out there.  Then there are the hands.  He had one or two strong hand catches that I hadn't seen before.

I feel like prior to last week, he was just running fast and trying hard.

And last week, he was more under control and a professional WR.

But he still sucks.  Like before, only differently.  Still a waste of a trade and a roster spot.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Right. He flashed awesomeness of a different kind last year. More athletey. Last couple games he's paired that athlete with some before unseen WR skills. 

And it's glorious 

It's right here.  This is correct.

The prior posts are right, too, he was awesome last year, too.  When he wasn't sucking.

But the last game was different in how he played.  More precise, more under control, strong hands catches.  He wasn't just running fast, he was setting things up. 

You want to know how he got so open in the end zone on the crosser?  Because he throttled down in order to accelerate.

Not sure if this will be consistent for him or not, but at least for the last game, he leveled up.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

You guys are all blasphemers to our Lord and Savior, Christian Watson.  Repent and he may spare you, this time.

Unfortunately, it might be 2 steps forward, 1 step back for him if he's hurt again. Even if these past two games were a sign of him becoming a legit player, it's hard to get hurt, miss a few weeks and then come back and keep any kind of rhythm, especially as a younger player. 

8 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

You guys are all blasphemers to our Lord and Savior, Christian Watson.  Repent and he may spare you, this time.

6 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Unfortunately, it might be 2 steps forward, 1 step back for him if he's hurt again. Even if these past two games were a sign of him becoming a legit player, it's hard to get hurt, miss a few weeks and then come back and keep any kind of rhythm, especially as a younger player. 

I don't know why this reminded me of when Reggie White had a leg injury the Packers thought was going t knock him out of the rest of the year. Reggis said God healed him and he was back the next day.

@ThatJerkDave let's see if Watson has the healing powers of the late, great Minister of Defense. If so, he'll be playing this week. 

Edited by Old Guy

Pretty much what Ross said. Myers plays about 98% of the snaps where you don't notice him at all (meaning he's playing well) and then 1-2 snaps a game, he just completely whiffs on a play so bad that it's all you notice. Did it again this week where he played well against KC absent the 4th and 1 when Jones just completely blew right past him (still worked out at least when Love rainbowed it to Doubs). 

Is it just me or has De Vondre Campbell the Packers middle lb played poorly this year?  He seems to be a step slow, doesn't cover well, hasn't filled the hole adequately and gets washed out way to often.  Part of the Packer's failure to stop the run falls directly on him as he just doesn't seem to fill any hole period..  

• Like 1

I think to add to the convo on Watson just like the rest of the kids they are building confidence. Each of them has it and some are a bit more raw then others but they are dam skilled high end athletes. They just needed to start stacking some successes on each other  and that's happening. MLF clearly has seen what each has in the skill set box and has started to work with it and Love is hitting the right reads and thankfully not behind the chains to start every dam drive. Confidence, less mistakes, putting the guys in the best places to succeed and the Watson's and Rees and CO are showing what Gute saw and MLF thought from the start. Very encouraging for our future for sure. Just keep building these guys together like the 08 - 11 Pack. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Pretty much what Ross said. Myers plays about 98% of the snaps where you don't notice him at all (meaning he's playing well) and then 1-2 snaps a game, he just completely whiffs on a play so bad that it's all you notice. Did it again this week where he played well against KC absent the 4th and 1 when Jones just completely blew right past him (still worked out at least when Love rainbowed it to Doubs). 

Chris Jones blew past Runyan, Rhyan and Tom too. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Chris Jones blew past Runyan, Rhyan and Tom too. 

Right, I mean Jones is an All-Pro. The point is moreso that this is what we get with Myers. Pretty much since Week 1, he has 1-2 plays per game where you wonder if he's ever pass blocked before in his life and then 98% of the time, he's actually very at it. I can live with that as long as the "whiff" play doesn't come when the game is on the line. 

Edited by packfanfb

13 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Some of these other Dline players are not too shabby. I think it's somewhat disheartening we expect so much from every player. Never lose a snap, get 5 sacks on 6 rush plays. We as fans tend to be a bit unrealistic. 

1 minute ago, PACKRULE said:

Some of these other Dline players are not too shabby. I think it's somewhat disheartening we expect so much from every player. Never lose a snap, get 5 sacks on 6 rush plays. We as fans tend to be a bit unrealistic. 

Every OL is going to lose some reps now and then. The almost funny point being made about Myers is he's been more of an "all or nothing" guy meaning he's actually a very solid C, especially as a pass blocker, but when he does lose, which isn't much, he reallllly loses, hence the "whiff" reference that's been thrown at him so many times. 

20 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Is it just me or has De Vondre Campbell the Packers middle lb played poorly this year?  He seems to be a step slow, doesn't cover well, hasn't filled the hole adequately and gets washed out way to often.  Part of the Packer's failure to stop the run falls directly on him as he just doesn't seem to fill any hole period..  

His PFF grades by week:
1 - 70.6

2 - 67.9

3 - 79.3

injured

8 - 78.8

9 - 76.1

10 - 53.8

11 - 44.1

13 - 49.1