Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

16 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Oh I'd be on the exact opposite train there. Id have to go back to really look at it, but when i am catching him, Campbell preeeetty passive on the fills. Lotta jockeying between gaps.

Might just be some anecdotal snaps. But that's what I've noticed.

Count me in the group who wouldn't mind seeing Duff in the base set next to Quay.

My bad as my post was unclear.

The defense as a whole seems to perform better with Campbell.

But....my eye ball test on fun fills says that Duff fills faster and with more "pop" in him.

Campbell's tackling style is more to engulf a ball carrier.  McDuffie actually hits them.  Just a different style, probably due to body types.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

The extra draft capital the last 2 years from the Rodgers and Adams trade has really helped. Should be another good draft class this year, especially if we trade Jaire

Trading JA would be foollish.

What we save in $ versus what we have to fill doesn't seem worth it in the least.

• Like 2

Barry gets a lot of hate for a lot of stuff. My biggest issue with him is probably (total conjecture on my part) that we used a first round pick and spent $50million on ILBs in the same off season because of his style. Yuck.

I'm 100% of the opinion that if you get a JAG and he balls out for a year you let them walk and take the comp pick. As much as I disliked the Rodgers extension resigning Campbell and Douglass were probably worse IMO. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Oh I'd be on the exact opposite train there. Id have to go back to really look at it, but when i am catching him, Campbell preeeetty passive on the fills. Lotta jockeying between gaps.

Might just be some anecdotal snaps. But that's what I've noticed.

Count me in the group who wouldn't mind seeing Duff in the base set next to Quay.

That's my biggest thing with Cambell, he just doesn't attack the hole aggressively.  Even worse, when he does it's often the wrong hole.  There's a reason why Arizona didn't retain him. 

19 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Would have to be a significant trade package since it costs us 3m more to trade him than keep him next year

Yeah, I don't think you move on from him, but something is going on. Is it all just health related? I don't know but MLF has seemed frustrated with him at times during his pressers. I love the dude, and hope it works out and he starts balling out again. That being said if not you do move on, just not next year.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

hasn't he already broken out?

he's incredible for a rookie

I'm saying he could become a focal point of the passing game with numbers like we've seen from Watson these last two weeks. Wicks has that kind of ability, probably just needs more targets. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Trading JA would be foollish.

What we save in $ versus what we have to fill doesn't seem worth it in the least.

We keep falling into this trap. Bahk is maybe the exception where it was like, not the trade part, but he's never going to come back close to the same I don't think and many feared that. JA could easily come back and be a stud again. But a little 'adversity' and it's, give up, ship em out, next man up. Hey maybe we should see what we have in Sean Clifford! I'm exaggerating a bit but JA is the exact kind of trade we'd WANT to be on the receiving end of if he wasn't here..I guess it's just pent up frustration though...I think.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Okay, maybe DeVito is worse...

JOE BARRY .. calling JOE BARRY!  Shut down the run and get aggressive.  NO soft zones, no dropping 8 into coverage, no rushing 3 guys .. get frickin aggressive as you have the horses; ride them!

1 hour ago, pgwingman said:

So if you want to cut Campbell, you save $14M but incur an $11M dead cap. So a net $3M savings. 

That's the part that interests me. I'm not sure that's enough savings to warrant cutting him.

That would also save you another $8 the following year, too, though?  

I feel like we're finally coming out of a stretch of severe cap pressure, and it will be nice to be more free.  But with Love and lots of young players stepping along, we're probably going to be right back into cap pressure before we know it, and be unable to keep all of our young talent.  $3M saved in 24 and $8M saved in 25 might be some welcome millions come 26 and 27?  

18 minutes ago, Norm said:

We keep falling into this trap. Bahk is maybe the exception where it was like, not the trade part, but he's never going to come back close to the same I don't think and many feared that. JA could easily come back and be a stud again. But a little 'adversity' and it's, give up, ship em out, next man up. Hey maybe we should see what we have in Sean Clifford! I'm exaggerating a bit but JA is the exact kind of trade we'd WANT to be on the receiving end of if he wasn't here..I guess it's just pent up frustration though...I think.

If someone offers us a Jalen Ramsey trade package, we'd be foolish not to take it. Jaire has been injury prone for 2 out of the last 3 years. He's undersized and the older he gets, the injuries have a good chance of piling on.

A lot depends on the front office timeline. If they expect 2025 to be the first year we're serious contenders, eating the dead cap from Bakh and Jaire in 2024. Go into 2025 offseason with a ton of cap space and draft capital.