Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

3 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

The benefit or making the playoffs is not worth the possibility that Joe Barry is brought back as a result of it. Not even for this young team. 

You can't have it both ways.  Barry either sucks as a DC (he does) or he doesn't.  Not wanting GB to make the playoffs because you are afraid that means Barry will be retained is silly.

Edited by Mazrimiv
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

You can't have it both ways.  Barry either sucks as a DC (he does) or he doesn't.  Not wanting GB to make the playoffs because you are afraid that means Barry will be retained is silly.

Is it?   It was obvious after last year that Barry had to go.  He wasn't.

a couple years ago it was obvious that GB had extreme special teams problems and action needed to happen.   Status quo was maintained and special teams cost them the SB.

MLF has proven far too accepting of coaching failures during his tenure.  It isn't crazy to think it may continue based on previous history.

We would all pick making the playoffs and Barry being relieved of his duties.  I just don't trust MLF to make that happen based on past actions.

Edited by hitnhope

1 hour ago, pgwingman said:

I get that sentiment, but I still think a young team like this benefits from playoff experience. Even if (maybe even especially if) it's an embarrassing playoff loss.

I get what you are saying too.  I'd be all for the playoffs if we would play anybody but the freaking Cowboys.  

10 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

Is it?   It was obvious after last year that Barry had to go.  He wasn't.

a couple years ago it was obvious that GB had extreme special teams problems and action needed to happen.   Status quo was maintained and special teams cost them the SB.

MLF has proven far to accepting of coaching failures during his tenure.  It isn't crazy to think it may continue based on previous history.

We would all pick making the playoffs and Barry being relieved of his duties.  I just don't trust MLF to make that happen based on past actions.

If we can’t trust Lafleur to make the right decision, than the issue is bigger than just the DC and we need to know now. If he insists on bringing Barry back you send them both packing this offseason. 

31 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

How is that having it both ways? Like I said, I am against ANYTHING happening that would give MLF any reason to retain Barry. 

My outcome, at the end of the season, because MLF is too much of a ***** to do it now, is for Barry to be out. Anything that could transpire to change that outcome, IE making the playoffs, I'm not for. 

It's one way, not both ways. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Savage, who likes to play downhill, is a fish out of water in Barry's scheme. Savage has other shortcomings, but he could be a serviceable guy in the right scheme. 

If you play defense in the NFL, your nature is to want to be aggressive. 

I would still like us to bring him back and play him at slot corner.  No more safety, pure slot corner.  Keep him near the LOS.  Let him blitz some as well as cover.

While he is a complete and utter failure at safety, I think he can have a career as a "plus" slot corner.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

How is that having it both ways? Like I said, I am against ANYTHING happening that would give MLF any reason to retain Barry. 

My outcome, at the end of the season, because MLF is too much of a ***** to do it now, is for Barry to be out. Anything that could transpire to change that outcome, IE making the playoffs, I'm not for. 

It's one way, not both ways. 

What is it that you think might happen to sway MLF's opinion?  Short of GB making the NFCC, I don't see any scenario when Barry being retained seems at all likely.  Even then, I think it would require an exceptional turn around by the defense.

2 hours ago, Pugger said:

I get what you are saying too.  I'd be all for the playoffs if we would play anybody but the freaking Cowboys.  

I don't know. I feel we have gotten adequate revenge on the Cowboys. I really don't want to see a San Fran team in the playoffs until we are a great team lol. Too many bad memories. 

Note, I don't think it's possible we would make it far enough to play them. Just saying. 

Edited by Toddfather
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

I don't know. I feel we have gotten adequate revenge on the Cowboys. I really don't want to see a San Fran team in the playoffs until we are a great team lol. Too many bad memories. 

Note, I don't think it's possible we would make it far enough to play them. Just saying. 

I feel the same way. I want us to get playoff experience but to send our young team to get shredded in Santa Clara by LaFluer’s old boss will not make me feel good. We get the 9ers next year at Lambeau if we want to see how we measure up with a more mature team and hopefully better defense. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I would still like us to bring him back and play him at slot corner.  No more safety, pure slot corner.  Keep him near the LOS.  Let him blitz some as well as cover.

While he is a complete and utter failure at safety, I think he can have a career as a "plus" slot corner.

What is it that has kept Barry around this long? It's utter nonsense he was allowed to come back this year. It's even worse he's here after the last two games. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Everybody on the board seems to have Cooper DeJean playing slot for us next year. 

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

stokes, ja, nor valentine are going to be slot corners. 

nixon cant do it.

a twitchy cb is very much a need.

54 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

For anyone concerned that Barry could somehow salvage his job if GB makes the playoffs, a game vs SF is precisely what we should want.  If that game were to be played, GB might give up a perfect passer rating AND a 200+ yards rushing.

• Like 2