Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

29 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

I'm sure we all get what's going on here, but just in case some else doesn't get the joke you better explain it for them.

Skibrett was philosophizing.

Lame duck years are really lame. Even though everyone knew it going in, it's come to this. Can't wait for the offseason to see if we become powerhouse or **** house. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pgwingman said:

I'm sure we all get what's going on here, but just in case some else doesn't get the joke you better explain it for them.

So, the man with the beard, I think it is Socrates, is pointing up, toward the post.  It is correct.  Both Barry and Jaire can both be problems and both be bad.

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I thought the same thing when I saw the Giants on the schedule.  IMO, the Vikings and Bears are both better teams, especially when you consider that the Giants started DeVito.  

No disrespect meant here, but the Giants game being a tough game shouldn't have surprised people and it had nothing to do with Barry. It's not who you play but when you play them. 

3 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

So, the man with the beard, I think it is Socrates, is pointing up, toward the post.  It is correct.  Both Barry and Jaire can both be problems and both be bad.

I'm so dumb I thought it was Jesus and a disciple. I couldn't figure out which part of the bible was being discussed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 15412 said:

Yep, I've thought that multiple times this year and was proven wrong.

But, I'll triple down it.  The Vikes are freshly without key players and are now starting a rookie QB.  The Bears are in absolute disarray and are likely to lose their complete coaching staff and they know it. 

But again, we do have Barry going for us.

Are the Bears in absolute disarray?  They have won 4 of their last 6, and have really looked a whole lot better since adding Montez Sweat.  I think the coaching staff's bed was made last season and the first half of this season.  But the Bears have improved since November and are a much better team than the one that got steamrolled in their first four games.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, R T said:

No disrespect meant here, but the Giants game being a tough game shouldn't have surprised people and it had nothing to do with Barry. It's not who you play but when you play them. 

I don't take disrespect to disagreements.  I just view the Giants as a poor team with little talent on it, and I was probably riding the high of beating the Lions and Chiefs consecutively.  

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Since Barry took over? 100% agree, but in 2020 he was the best CB in the game. 

I'll say this regarding Ja's future here...I am wayyyy more concerned about the fact that he's had two debilitating shoulder injuries in the last 3 years than I am about his "attitude." 

Barry or no Barry, he may not be the same player moving forward, based on those injuries alone. 

2 hours ago, 15412 said:

Barry (along with a position coach or more) will be gone soon, and he needs to be replaced with a DC who is not only competent of course but one who will demand respect and put up with zero BS

We may be missing 2 and maybe 3 of our best WR's and our starting TE but I don't see how we can lose either of the next two games looking at the opponent.  Or what's left of them.  Then again, we've got Barry going for us.

The Bears are actually playing pretty damn good football right now, not sure if you just haven't been watching. 

The Vikings are beat up but we're playing them at Minnesota. That's a tough game regardless of the players on the field. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, R T said:

I'd actually argue we played the Giants at just about the best time we could have asked for. They were beat up, pretty much out of the playoff race, and were resigned to starting a 3rd-string QB who was pretty bad in the weeks before we played him and reallllllly bad in the two games he played after we played him...so much so that we may never see the guy start another NFL game, ever. 

Can't ask for much more than that. That game was a bed-wetting display all around by the Packers, no reason to sugarcoat it. 

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Kool Aid McKinstry

21 years old.  6'1''.  194 pounds.  Rumored 4.35 speed.  Starter at Alabama since he was a freshman.

This one is starting to look like it makes waaaayyyy too much sense for GB.

All we need to see is an RAS score and a religious tweet or two.

With the CB and LT positions going in opposite directions, I'm less confident we got LT in round 1 now. CB makes a lot of sense too

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

With the CB and LT positions going in opposite directions, I'm less confident we got LT in round 1 now. CB makes a lot of sense too

yeah....looks like another year we should take defense in the top 2 rounds.  Maybe one lineman since we have 3 picks in the top 2 rounds but our secondary looks like the biggest problem on the roster right now.

3 hours ago, pgwingman said:

I get that, and there's a lot of truth to it. Players certainly have a right and duty to speak up when their coaches aren't putting them in conditions to succeed. Gute and MLF have certainly tolerated their share of that. And I'd bet any amount of money that if the Packers were out of the playoff race right now Barry would already be fired.

So I don't think it's fair to blame MLF for "bringing Barry back" since he was still under contract. We fans don't think much about it, but there's a difference between being bad enough to get fired and not good enough to be extended. The front office probably figured that replacing the QB was enough of a disruption for the year, and didn't want to saddle the roster with a new DC too. 

Players have a right to complain, but at a certain point you need to keep your dirty laundry internal for the good of the team.

Montgomery can run this defense just as well as Barry, Matt should have just cut the chord about 2 months ago as soon as the players started to complain, heck allowing Alexander and Williams to call secondary alignments and Montgomery and Olivadotti front 7 alignments would very possibly gotten us 3 more wins, minor adjustments would surely be in there repertoire.

imho since we where already figuring this would be a transition season, it would seem the perfect season to switch DC's as well, but I understand your point, think it was the same reason we didn't fire McCarthy when we fired Capers and demoted Thompson in 2018, and realistically the results are the same, McCarthy's offense floundered just as Barry's defense has, loyalty maybe, whatever though, again, the message is clear, players will bust down walls for a coach they like and believe in, and wont for ones they dislike or feel are hurting there career, jmo

2 hours ago, 15412 said:

Yep, I've thought that multiple times this year and was proven wrong.

But, I'll triple down it.  The Vikes are freshly without key players and are now starting a rookie QB.  The Bears are in absolute disarray and are likely to lose their complete coaching staff and they know it. 

But again, we do have Barry going for us.

ahhh, the Bears just hired this GM and HC, so I don't see either being fired after just 1 season, I expect they use slot one on a QB and trade Fields, he needs a new start.

Edited by turf toe

this team almost just lost to Carolina.  They can easily lose to any team in the NFL

The offense is Solid, but it is not foolproof.  And the defense is downright terrible

The STs is not good either.

Expecting to win the next two games is silly.  It's much more likely they go 1-1 than 2-0 IMO.