Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

6 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Circle the 49ers at home and the Seahawks away. I'd very much like to see the Packers win those games - the 49ers because we have a lot of trouble beating them and the Seahawks because, well, they ARE the Seahawks......

I'd rather enjoy being able to see some film of the Packers against Lawrence and the Jags, too.

Colts, Dolphins and Titans are the 3 teams on the schedule that the Packers have a losing record against in their all-time series. In the Packers quest to have a winning record against all 31 other teams those are the must win games.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, R T said:

Colts, Dolphins and Titans are the 3 teams on the schedule that the Packers have a losing record against in their all-time series. In the Packers quest to have a winning record against all 31 other teams those are the must win games.  

Very much not LTBE,  but it would be so cool to get that.

We also have to not get ahead of ourselves with year one evaluations.  Guys like Wooden and Brooks are good for rookies, at their draft slot.  Carrington Valentine looks like he is a starter, so did Eric Stokes and Damarious Randall.  We are assuming that they will progress into the future.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

We also have to not get ahead of ourselves with year one evaluations.  Guys like Wooden and Brooks are good for rookies, at their draft slot.  Carrington Valentine looks like he is a starter, so did Eric Stokes and Damarious Randall.  We are assuming that they will progress into the future.  

It's a fair point. 

Stokes was a fish out of water in year two after the acquisition of Douglass, then Alexander coming back after being injured. Then week 8 (I think), he suffered a terrible injury. 

24 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

It's a fair point. 

Stokes was a fish out of water in year two after the acquisition of Douglass, then Alexander coming back after being injured. Then week 8 (I think), he suffered a terrible injury. 

And I don't mean to poo-poo on any of our rookies playing well either.  Just want to pull back a little bit because the likelihood of picking 8 star players out of one draft is about as close to zero as you can get.  For example, Jayden Reed had 800 yards and 8 TDs, Dontayvion Wicks had 600 yards and 4 TDs, Jarrett Boykin (second season) had 700 yards and 3 TDs.  The next season, Boykin had 3 receptions for 23 yards.  Likewise, one of my favorites, Equanimeous, had 300 yards as a rookie, and only ever came close to that in his first season with the Bears.  

I am sure there is someone smarter and more football savvy than me that can figure out which guys are gold and which are pyrite.  And I would like to think that some of those people work for NFL teams.

49 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Great points, Jerk.  Agree, it's easy to assume young guys will get better, but they don't always.  And it's easy to love guys, "for a rookie", "for a 6th-round pick".  But being good relative to rookie 6th rounders isn't the same as being good relative to NFL starters.  

So many young players, it should be fun to see how they develop over the next couple of years.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

And I don't mean to poo-poo on any of our rookies playing well either.  Just want to pull back a little bit because the likelihood of picking 8 star players out of one draft is about as close to zero as you can get.  For example, Jayden Reed had 800 yards and 8 TDs, Dontayvion Wicks had 600 yards and 4 TDs, Jarrett Boykin (second season) had 700 yards and 3 TDs.  The next season, Boykin had 3 receptions for 23 yards.  Likewise, one of my favorites, Equanimeous, had 300 yards as a rookie, and only ever came close to that in his first season with the Bears.  

I am sure there is someone smarter and more football savvy than me that can figure out which guys are gold and which are pyrite.  And I would like to think that some of those people work for NFL teams.

I think we have some quality players in the WR corps but this system is built to make guys shine who are not necessarily top tier.  The way it works best is if you have plus speed guys who are tough enough to be willing blockers. Spread the ball around and let the guys feast on YAC. With that being said, I think Reed and Wicks have some special attributes. Ideally at second contract time we keep one or two of the best fit and have another young guy willing to step up.  If we have the QB and OLine, we should be able to make B+ skill guys look like straight A students. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I think we have some quality players in the WR corps but this system is built to make guys shine who are not necessarily top tier.  The way it works best is if you have plus speed guys who are tough enough to be willing blockers. Spread the ball around and let the guys feast on YAC. With that being said, I think Reed and Wicks have some special attributes. Ideally at second contract time we keep one or two of the best fit and have another young guy willing to step up.  If we have the QB and OLine, we should be able to make B+ skill guys look like straight A students. 

Apparently Bo's got some impressive straight line speed. Another observation? He looks to be build like a brick wall. I dont see him suffering bumps & bruises injuries that Doubs/Reed/Wicks/Watson seem to deal with.

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

Apparently Bo's got some impressive straight line speed. Another observation? He looks to be build like a brick wall. I dont see him suffering bumps & bruises injuries that Doubs/Reed/Wicks/Watson seem to deal with.

He’s tough for his size.  When we poached him from Seattle he was thought of as a guy in the mold of Lockett. I think Lockett is or at least was faster on the field but Bo punches above his weight in terms of fight. I remember LaFluer mentioning his toughness in training camp when talking about the crowded field at WR. I will say, he’s seen a lot less live reps than our other guys over the long season so it’s not surprising he looks fresher.

Glad we kept him and glad he’s getting his opportunity. Between him and Heath, it’s going to be hard for guys to break in even on the fringes of this group next offseason. 

Edited by Refugee
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Don't mind him much when they are playing aggressive football.  We can do so much better though.

I have a sneaking suspicion Barry isn't going anywhere.  And tbh if the guys would play like they did yesterday all the time then perhaps nobody would be calling for his head.  As someone else said - where in the hell has this defense been all season?  If we had played like this against the Bucs and NYG then we'd be the #6 seed instead of #7 and would be headed to Detroit instead of Dallas.