Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

I smell BS. Gute is building a roster of young talented players and have let go almost everyone over 30. Why would he undo that by signing Hyde who Bills fans say is showing signs of decline.

26 minutes ago, Chili said:

I smell BS. Gute is building a roster of young talented players and have let go almost everyone over 30. Why would he undo that by signing Hyde who Bills fans say is showing signs of decline.

I would normally agree, but the safety room is DIRE sans McKinney and the draft is ******* terrible there. Nothing would surprise me when it comes to filling the safety spot. There might not be a year 1 starting caliber safety in the draft at all. Not a single one. Maybe Cooper DeJean, but you’re banking on him being there and a clean bill of health. 

I'm totally cool with Dillon as RB2, he proved he wasn't the guy who was going to take over for Jonesy but he's a great athlete, he can pass pro with the best of them and he gets better as the season wears on. I'm sure this is going to be somewhere in the 2-3m per range.

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm totally cool with Dillon as RB2, he proved he wasn't the guy who was going to take over for Jonesy but he's a great athlete, he can pass pro with the best of them and he gets better as the season wears on. I'm sure this is going to be somewhere in the 2-3m per range.

Yep, something like 1 year, $3M or 2 years, $6M.  Not bad money for RB2, but I think this pretty much kills Emmanuel Wilson's chance of carving out a real role this year.

The 2020 CBA expanded on the VSB and created a second veteran benefit known as the 4-year Qualifying Player benefit.  This benefit is only available to players who have been under contract with the team (and never released) for the immediately prior 4 or more seasons.  Under this rule, the team can designate a player (or a combination of two players) to be signed and receive the benefit and reduce his (or their) base salary for Cap purposes by up to $1.45M (combined if it’s two players).  This rule also limits the player’s signing bonus to $167,500 and the player’s base salary cannot be more than $1.45M (for 2024) over the applicable minimum salary for the player’s service time.

So...I found this.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

The 2020 CBA expanded on the VSB and created a second veteran benefit known as the 4-year Qualifying Player benefit.  This benefit is only available to players who have been under contract with the team (and never released) for the immediately prior 4 or more seasons.  Under this rule, the team can designate a player (or a combination of two players) to be signed and receive the benefit and reduce his (or their) base salary for Cap purposes by up to $1.45M (combined if it’s two players).  This rule also limits the player’s signing bonus to $167,500 and the player’s base salary cannot be more than $1.45M (for 2024) over the applicable minimum salary for the player’s service time.

So...I found this.

How is it a veteran benefit? it sounds like it limits the player's earning power if a team implements this feature.