Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 minute ago, Fl0nkerton said:

@Gute trade for Joe Schobert you coward!

Funny you bring him up because I was actually thinking about this the other day (partly because I live in Cleveland). The Browns are hurting for a RG ever since they traded Zeitler for Vernon. Likewise, they have been raving about rookie Mack Wilson in the preseason, who right now is Schobert's backup. While the Browns probably would never part with Schobert because he's become a Pro Bowl caliber player, I was pondering a call between Gute and Dorsey involving Schobert in exchange for Lane Taylor and a day 3 pick. If the Browns like Taylor, they could plug him in at RG, solve that problem, and we get a top-notch ILB, who not only strengthens us for this year, but eases the blow of losing Martinez next year if another team overpays him. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Funny you bring him up because I was actually thinking about this the other day (partly because I live in Cleveland). The Browns are hurting for a RG ever since they traded Zeitler for Vernon. Likewise, they have been raving about rookie Mack Wilson in the preseason, who right now is Schobert's backup. While the Browns probably would never part with Schobert because he's become a Pro Bowl caliber player, I was pondering a call between Gute and Dorsey involving Schobert in exchange for Lane Taylor and a day 3 pick. If the Browns like Taylor, they could plug him in at RG, solve that problem, and we get a top-notch ILB, who not only strengthens us for this year, but eases the blow of losing Martinez next year if another team overpays him. 

It looks like he's a free agent as well next year. I'm still not opposed to the idea but with him being a free agent next year and Taylor not until 2021, the trade value might be a bit less in their favor. That would give Gute the option to sign one of the two for next year between Schoebert and Martinez.

I like that idea a lot. 

Just now, Fl0nkerton said:

@Gute trade for Joe Schobert you coward!

This.  Not this as if I agree with this, but this is what @Norm and I mean. 

Schobert - 3 Years - 275/163 Comb/Total tackles - 6.5 sacks - 11 passes defended - 2 interceptions - 5 forced fumbles - 78.2 PFF
Martinez - 3 Years - 357/254 Comb/Total tackles - 7 sacks - 15 passes defended - 2 interceptions - 1 forced fumbles - 74.8 PFF

Schobert - 73.38 tall - 244 pounds - 31.5 arm - 9.75 hand - 4.76 40 - 33.5 vertical - 111 broad jump - 22 reps - 4.3 20 YS - 7.11 3 cone
Martinez - 73.63 tall - 237 pounds - 31.63 arms - 10.88 hand - 4.71 40 - 28.5 vert - 113 broad - 22 reps - 4.2 20 YS - 6.98 3 cone

So either you're obsessed with less than 4 points from PFF and five inches in a vertical leap and 4 more forced fumbles as some sort of metric for being otherworldly better, or you - like most people on this site - hate Martinez purely because he doesn't look fast. 

Schobert and Martinez are about as identical prospects at the position as you can get.  They are literally the same player, and yet people act like Schobert would be this massive upgrade. 

I just provided 16 metrics of production and measurable information.  Martinez is better in 10 of them and equal in 1 of them.  The only things Schobert has over Martinez is less than 4 points on PFF, 7 more pounds, a 5 inch higher vertical and 4 more forced fumbles. 

I'm not trying to rip you too badly here, but this is exactly what I can't stand about this place.  Name recognition is all that matters to some people without context.  Browns fans would probably think Martinez is a huge upgrade over Schobert.  Nobody knows because nobody cares.  The player with a better name or recognition is always better on the field to some people. 

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Schobert - 3 Years - 275/163 Comb/Total tackles - 6.5 sacks - 11 passes defended - 2 interceptions - 5 forced fumbles - 78.2 PFF
Martinez - 3 Years - 357/254 Comb/Total tackles - 7 sacks - 15 passes defended - 2 interceptions - 1 forced fumbles - 74.8 PFF

Schobert - 73.38 tall - 244 pounds - 31.5 arm - 9.75 hand - 4.76 40 - 33.5 vertical - 111 broad jump - 22 reps - 4.3 20 YS - 7.11 3 cone
Martinez - 73.63 tall - 237 pounds - 31.63 arms - 10.88 hand - 4.71 40 - 28.5 vert - 113 broad - 22 reps - 4.2 20 YS - 6.98 3 cone

So either you're obsessed with less than 4 points from PFF and five inches in a vertical leap and 4 more forced fumbles as some sort of metric for being otherworldly better, or you - like most people on this site - hate Martinez purely because he doesn't look fast. 

Schobert and Martinez are about as identical prospects at the position as you can get.  They are literally the same player, and yet people act like Schobert would be this massive upgrade. 

I just provided 16 metrics of production and measurable information.  Martinez is better in 10 of them and equal in 1 of them.  The only things Schobert has over Martinez is less than 4 points on PFF, 7 more pounds, a 5 inch higher vertical and 4 more forced fumbles. 

I'm not trying to rip you too badly here, but this is exactly what I can't stand about this place.  Name recognition is all that matters to some people without context.  Browns fans would probably think Martinez is a huge upgrade over Schobert.  Nobody knows because nobody cares.  The player with a better name or recognition is always better on the field to some people. 

Nah, I don't hate Blake. I actually posted this last week:

I'd be ok with extending Blake. He racks up tackles and can get to the QB every now and then.

Think he'd be a big part of the defense going forward.

I was pretty clearly being tongue-in-cheek by calling Gute a coward for not trading for an ILB. Thought that was obvious.

• Like 1

Just now, Fl0nkerton said:

Nah, I don't hate Blake. I actually posted this last week:

I was pretty clearly being tongue-in-cheek by calling Gute a coward for not trading for an ILB. Thought that was obvious.

I knew you were sarcastic about the Gute coward part, but thought you were serious about wanting Schobert. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

First off, I agree about Schobert vs. Martinez.

But...who on this site is against Martinez?  (I'm not)

From what I've seen, people seem to look at him like AJ Hawk without the high draft status.  Not sure if that isn't spot on.  And...I dig Martinez.

I think some people balk at the idea of paying him big ILB money, and I can't fault them for that either.  It is fun to throw big money at "sexy" stuff in free agency, and ILB isn't overly sexy.

Guess what I'm saying is...I dig Blake.  And I think most people on here do, too.

Just now, vegas492 said:

Guess what I'm saying is...I dig Blake.  And I think most people on here do, too.

That's where you're wrong.  I'd say this site is at least split.  Half think Blake is JAG.  He's clearly a notch above that.  He's no Wagner/Kuechly, but he is certainly the best all-around ILB we've had in a very long time.  We've had better run stoppers, we've had better cover ILBs, but we've not had one as overall good as Martinez since I can't remember. 

Just now, Outpost31 said:

That's where you're wrong.  I'd say this site is at least split.  Half think Blake is JAG.  He's clearly a notch above that.  He's no Wagner/Kuechly, but he is certainly the best all-around ILB we've had in a very long time.  We've had better run stoppers, we've had better cover ILBs, but we've not had one as overall good as Martinez since I can't remember. 

Is it that people think he's a JAG, or that they don't want to pay him Mosely/J Smith type money in the off-season?

Either way, guessing folks will weigh in.