Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

"If they’re willing to spend money in free agency, why not just spend it on Bulaga?"

The guy has been nothing short of terrific this year.  Tremendous year thus far.  Would love him to return on a 2 or 3 year deal.  His agent will want a longer term deal for him with the equivalent mucho up front moolah.  He may be young enough in age to justify, but that's just a number.  His body is corroding, the warrior has taken a lot of abuse.  I think he and his agent knows this is his last big deal, and some team will make a mistake in desperation and sign him to a long term deal with big up front money.  We have to pass.  We have others to concern ourselves with.  We will be drafting one early next year, very likely round 1.

20 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

What would guys be willing to give up for Geno Atkins? 

Uhhh ... I think it's time we focus on Offense right now. We've invested enough into defense and they're playing at a level that you'd expect them to for the investment put forth. However, the same can't be said for the Offense. That's just me. I wouldn't give up anything substantial there. As of right now, you're looking at holes at #2 WR / RT (?) and possibly TE on the offense. 

Note: Those holes are for 2020 and beyond not just the right now. As any compensation given for Geno Atkins would effect filling those.

Edited by Nick_gb

22 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

Uhhh ... I think it's time we focus on Offense right now. We've invested enough into defense and they're playing at a level that you'd expect them to for the investment put forth. However, the same can't be said for the Offense. That's just me. I wouldn't give up anything substantial there. As of right now, you're looking at holes at #2 WR / RT (?) and possibly TE on the offense. 

Note: Those holes are for 2020 and beyond not just the right now. As any compensation given for Geno Atkins would effect filling those.

Both units are ranked 9th in DVOA currently. 

We definitely could use another good DL on this team.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

How so?

Due to Smith being able to play 5T in a pinch and our investment in Gary. Adams goes down with EQ already IR'd and your WR core is what? Allison / MVS / Kumerow (Hasnt stayed healthy) and Shep? Youre a smart poster you should already know this without me having to say it. If youre going to tell me outside of Aaron Jones performance last week that you've been just excited about the offense this season as you have the defense I really dont have words despite your DVoA rankings. 

Edited by Nick_gb
Typing on phone so corrected some words

4 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

Due to Smith being able to play 5T in a pinch and our investment in Gary. Adams goes down with EQ already IR'd and your WR core is what? Allison / MVS / Kumerow (Hasnt stayed healthy) and Shep? Youre a smart poster you should already know this without me having to say it. If youre going to tell me outside of Aaron Jones performance last week that you've been just excited about the offense this season as you have the defense I really dont have words despite your DVoA rankings. 

I don't think critically about the team based on excitement, Im a smart poster so I prefer more objective measures for that ;)

If you're debating specifically a WR vs a DL I still definitely go DL. We just dropped 34 without our best WR on the field lol. I'd love to upgrade the WR room, but I'd love to keep stacking the defense more.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I don't think critically about the team based on excitement, Im a smart poster so I prefer more objective measures for that ;)

If you're debating specifically a WR vs a DL I still definitely go DL. We just dropped 34 without our best WR on the field lol. I'd love to upgrade the WR room, but I'd love to keep stacking the defense more.

Well, for being a self proclaimed "smart poster" you could clearly revert back to my original post and see that I wasnt using just the past 5 games as a supporting point to my argument. Ive also referenced potential 2020 offensive holes RT/TE and prior unvestments on the defensive side of the ball as other reasons I would much rather pay some attention to the offensive side of the ball instead of the rich getting richer along the DL. 

Edited by Nick_gb

2 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

I would much rather pay some attention to the offensive side of the ball instead of the rich getting richer along the DL. 

in the Ron Wolf world, you draft the offense so they all grow together and you use FA/trades + the draft to build the defense
The offensive playbook makes it really hard to add players mid-season and have them be productive vs the defensive playbook which is much smaller 
Those aren't hard and fast rules, but tendencies that the Wolf Tree guys seem to value

There aren't many OL or WRs you could bring in off the street/ trade for,  who can assimilate the offense well enough to beat out the incumbents
On the defensive side, its not quite as difficult to plug a guy in.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

in the Ron Wolf world, you draft the offense so they all grow together and you use FA/trades + the draft to build the defense
The offensive playbook makes it really hard to add players mid-season and have them be productive vs the defensive playbook which is much smaller 
Those aren't hard and fast rules, but tendencies that the Wolf Tree guys seem to value

There aren't many OL or WRs you could bring in off the street/ trade for,  who can assimilate the offense well enough to beat out the incumbents
On the defensive side, its not quite as difficult to plug a guy in.

Ron Wolf is about as relevant today as Lindsay Lohan.  Times change.  In 1990, first round receivers were worth significantly more than they are now.  Okay receivers from 1990 would be top ten receivers today with all the rules that have changed.  Quarterbacks, too.  

NFL trying to protect these quarterbacks so much is actually decreasing their value.  When Misnew and what’s his name for Carolina look so good, it’s telling.