Carson Palmer Retires

bucsfan333

8 minutes ago, LuckyNumber11 said:

Reports have said so far that Carson and Bruce's retirements won't factor in for Larry. More so who the new head coach is will determine whether he comes back or not. At least that's what all our beat guys and people close to the organization have been saying

We'll see what happens, the League could always use more seasons with Larry if he does decide to come back.

Hope he enjoys life after football. Maybe he'll be an analyst?

I have a feeling Arizona is going to fall into a pretty big slump here soon, especially with LA looking to be a perennial threat, SF on the rise and Seattle still holding on to a few core pieces (although I think their window is closing fast).

1 minute ago, SteelKing728 said:

I have a feeling Arizona is going to fall into a pretty big slump here soon, especially with LA looking to be a perennial threat, SF on the rise and Seattle still holding on to a few core pieces (although I think their window is closing fast).

Comes down to one thing - who's their quarterback? IF they get a competent quarterback, lets say Smith or heck, even Cousins, they can still be pretty good. Iupati should be back to help the offensnive line woes. David Johnson will be back. They still field one of the better defenses in the NFL. A complete rebuild isn't actually necessary unless the new coach wants to start over. 

2 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Thing is too that we still have some really nice pieces on our defense. Does anyone here know that Chandler Jones was this year's sack king with 17 sacks? And played without our second best pass rusher, Markus Golden, for half the season? While the offense needs a rebuild, the defense is absolutely there. Yes we need a QB, and the oline needs some work, but we really aren't all that far off 

10 minutes ago, LuckyNumber11 said:

Thing is too that we still have some really nice pieces on our defense. Does anyone here know that Chandler Jones was this year's sack king with 17 sacks? And played without our second best pass rusher, Markus Golden, for half the season? While the offense needs a rebuild, the defense is absolutely there. Yes we need a QB, and the oline needs some work, but we really aren't all that far off 

When you need a franchise QB, you really are "all that far off"

15 minutes ago, Starless said:

One of the biggest what-could've-been stories in recent league history. If he hadn't been rolled up on by Kimo in the 2005 playoffs, could he have worked his way into that Brady/Manning tier? Or at least Roethlisberger/Rivers?

Very good QB, similar to Vinny Testaverde in style. We're speculating that Palmer would have won that 2005 playoff game, and the Bengals would have also had to deal with either Indy or Denver(two teams beaten by the Steelers). I don't know if Palmer would have been able to outplay Peyton Manning at Indy the way Big Ben did, and deliver the win. And even after 2005, Palmer would struggle in the postseason. In his final playoff game, Palmer was a disaster, and Troy Aikman noticed something was wrong very early.

Bigger than the injury was leaving Cincinnati after the disappointing 2010 campaign. Palmer was 31 at the time, and saw no hope with the Bengals, even though Cincy had captured the AFC North in 2009. One of those players who lived up to being a top overall pick, but shy of HOF caliber.   

Just now, LuckyNumber11 said:

You're absolutely right, but at the same time, it only takes one player to find that 

"Only" takes. How many teams wallow in QB purgatory endlessly looking for "the guy"? By the time you find that guy, your other players could be old/left via free agency/injured etc

3 minutes ago, mcmurtry86 said:

"Only" takes. How many teams wallow in QB purgatory endlessly looking for "the guy"? By the time you find that guy, your other players could be old/left via free agency/injured etc

Off the top of my head, maybe the Browns and Jets as of late? If you have a solid personnel department, which it seems the Cardinals do, finding a guy who can be solid for your team is not impossible. 

1 minute ago, Starless said:

28 and counting for the Browns...

1 minute ago, mcmurtry86 said:

My point more of that finding a QB has a certain amount of luck attached to it. We haven't even drafted a QB in the first round since Leinart, and have had our most success with two retreads of Palmer and Warner. My point was more of that, that Starless made. We have a good team, but there are some pieces that definitely need filling, and one of those is obviously the giant hole at the QB position. 

Archived