Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

Spent the last four years using YouTube videos to teach myself weight lifting. Never went consistently enough and had terrible form, I'm sure. Hired a personal trainer since I moved to Beijing. Amazing the difference in having a professional teach you vs a YT video. I'm already seeing growth I hadn't seen ever. I just assumed I couldn't gain muscle at all.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Spent the last four years using YouTube videos to teach myself weight lifting. Never went consistently enough and had terrible form, I'm sure. Hired a personal trainer since I moved to Beijing. Amazing the difference in having a professional teach you vs a YT video. I'm already seeing growth I hadn't seen ever. I just assumed I couldn't gain muscle at all.

Good to hear.

You're a self-actualized person already, but for teenagers, I think weight training is one of the biggest self-esteem boosting/life changing things for them. Especially the boys. 

• Like 1

On 10/6/2019 at 11:28 AM, Tetsujin said:

I’m going to see a PT tomorrow. I’m 99% sure I tore my calf muscle while doing squats this morning. I don’t wanna spend the money, but I might need a note from him to allow me to stay in bed and off the foot for the week. 

The foot/calf feels around 85% now.

On 9/18/2019 at 9:56 AM, jetsfan4life51 said:

Just ordered a bunch of nootropics to test out preworkout. Plus a bunch to mix into my morning coffee. 

Anyone use Piracetam, Aniracetam or Adrafinil?

Thoughts on this? I've been thinking about nootropics for years but still have yet to bite the bullet and try them.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, smetana34 said:

8 weeks through SL and loving it. It's simple, quick, and to the point, the app makes it super easy to stay on track, and I'm feeling/ noticing the results. Can't wait to finish this round up and start a second one. 

I did it for 2-3 months and got bored of squatting every workout, so I eventually started a new program. Does the app have a thing for a second round and does it change it up at all?

On 11/2/2019 at 10:22 PM, kingseanjohn said:

I did it for 2-3 months and got bored of squatting every workout, so I eventually started a new program. Does the app have a thing for a second round and does it change it up at all?

Ive always enjoyed squatting (largely because it effectively hits the core) so I don't mind it. As far as I know there's nothing different. At the end of this 12 weeks I intend to take a week off and start another 12 week set. I believe Mehdi suggests moving to a different routine (think it was called Mad Cow) after completing 12 weeks, but I have a lot of room for growth, so I'm going to attempt another. Im just getting back into lifting after a number of years away

On 11/2/2019 at 10:22 PM, kingseanjohn said:

https://stronglifts.com/5x5/

Upon rereading, I lied. It's all 5x5 until you start regularly failing, then it's a switch to 3x5 till regular fail, then 3x3, finally 1x3. Once you hit failure at 1x3, its time to switch programs 

On 11/4/2019 at 8:10 PM, jetsfan4life51 said:

I still can't believe you guys do 12 week programs.  I'd get so bored. I do 4 cycles over 12 weeks.

It's boring. But being all compound lifts, it's a quick, effective, and to the point way of getting a lift in. I don't have a lot of free time, so it fits my schedule got now

On 10/8/2019 at 12:03 PM, project T.O said:

These guys are also elite level athletes with superb genetics. Gear or no gear these guys will respond to any kind of exercise much better than your average Joe. 

Not to mention they have a lot of money and resources to optimize all of that work with top notch diets and recovery tools. 

Not sure what your point is friend, none of that precludes the fact that you cant naturally get as big and simultaneously as athletic as some of these guys are.