Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

19 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Change your breakfast to protein and fats. Definitely no cereal!

Eggs and turkey bacon/chicken sausage.

Ground beef and avocado.

Greek yougurt, nuts, berries.

Combos like that.

While I don’t eat breakfast, this is essentially how I break my fast each day mid morning.

Apple and Almonds, sometimes with a cucumber almost every day.

Workout after basically only consuming protein and fat, aside from the fruit/veggie serving at lunch, or on a fast on the weekends.

Granola post workout and a big dinner.

31 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

breakfast i usually eat oatmeal with fruit or frosted flakes with turkey bacon.  depending on what I'm in the mood for.

i have a gym membership.  I usually go every day except Fridays since my gym closes late Mon-Thurs and on weekends.  Friday they close super early. 

Cut the Frosted Flakes. All those sugary cereals have to go. Tom Brady wasn't joking when he said they aren't food. Steel cut oatmeal with natural peanut butter, raw honey and banana is a much better alternative.

Edited by biggie.

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

My cholesterol went from 210 to 144 in 6 months doing all of the above 👆. Good advice!

One thing to piggyback off of:

If you “have to” cheat, find healthier cheats. Do A (singular) glass (serving) of neat bourbon instead of eating that after dinner snack.

Add granola to that yogurt and maybe a touch of honey (don’t go crazy). 

Get cocoa almonds instead of regular ones you won’t eat to satisfy that sweet craving.

Just some things that worked for me on this front.

Yep, had to start eating more fish and swapped in 50/50 guac/salsa for chips instead of just salsa because my HDL was low. 

Human beings have a warranty that expires at 30 I swear to god. Everything after that is **** slowly breaking.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yep, had to start eating more fish and swapped in 50/50 guac/salsa for chips instead of just salsa because my HDL was low. 

Human beings have a warranty that expires at 30 I swear to god. Everything after that is **** slowly breaking.

It's all due to conditioning.

We sit all day at school, commuting and work to be stressed out by *******s and idiots all day.

We resort to relying on fast food because we "don't have time" or "don't know how to cook". We don't exercise because we "don't have time."

Kids are exposed to commercials for sugary cereals, candy, etc. and cartoons always portray veggies as gross.

We're told stupid BS like fasting causes "starvation mode".

Edited by biggie.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Dude no joke that’s a fact. The “rebound” factor isn’t there anymore.

My guilty pleasure is now tortilla chips and salsa/guacamole or granola with almond milk and craisins. 

I will say this though:

Giving up dairy (and by that I mean 5 days a week, I still do ice cream and add cheese into things on the weekends) has been the best thing for my cholesterol and all around gut feeling and sleep. Weight has stayed off, energy is better, and my intestinal health is infinitely better since I added a probiotic after a round or so of antibiotics.

Long story: Prostate infection…some real “frog in the pot” effect. That was 75% of my “I can’t sleep!” issue I asked for help on a few months ago. I should have seen the doctor months ago and I’m glad I did. Plus, thankfully he diagnosed me without an inspection and gloves hand, so…

4 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Hunger tolerance is relative, and can be improved with training it, which is basically what fasting is. I think everybody should try it, if not incorporate some of it.

17:7 or 16:8 is my daily window and I’m not sure if I’ll ever go back except for the 3-4 times a year I go completely paleo to hit the post/pre holiday reset buttons.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Dude no joke that’s a fact. The “rebound” factor isn’t there anymore.

My guilty pleasure is now tortilla chips and salsa/guacamole or granola with almond milk and craisins. 

I will say this though:

Giving up dairy (and by that I mean 5 days a week, I still do ice cream and add cheese into things on the weekends) has been the best thing for my cholesterol and all around gut feeling and sleep. Weight has stayed off, energy is better, and my intestinal health is infinitely better since I added a probiotic after a round or so of antibiotics.

Long story: Prostate infection…some real “frog in the pot” effect. That was 75% of my “I can’t sleep!” issue I asked for help on a few months ago. I should have seen the doctor months ago and I’m glad I did. Plus, thankfully he diagnosed me without an inspection and gloves hand, so…

I've tried, and I can't. Giving up 2% milk was harder than giving up booze. I just keep it to a half gallon a week, which when you consider cooking and coffee supplementation I don't think is terrible.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I've tried, and I can't. Giving up 2% milk was harder than giving up booze. I just keep it to a half gallon a week, which when you consider cooking and coffee supplementation I don't think is terrible.

Small steps and that’s a reasonable limit. This was my take with breaded/fried food. My Grandma was a class Midwest raised Mennonite cook, so cook everything in butter or bacon grease. I can give up desserts and even a lot of red meat and starches.

So, breaded chicken (baked) is mine. Every “real” person has a thing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

True, but don't discount age. I work out every day, and I didn't always have to stretch beforehand.

My flexibility is actually better at 33 than from 13-28.  Good soft tissue practitioner and primarily full ROM with training.  Lots of stuff similar to KOT guy.

Training For Structural Balance: The Ultimate Guide! – Revolutionary Program Design

Good article for exercises and ratios I started to incorporate about 4 years ago.  Makes a difference with pain and performance.

10 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

True, but don't discount age. I work out every day, and I didn't always have to stretch beforehand.

Early onset joint arthritis symptoms don’t help either. I’m down 15 pounds from my post college athlete contentment weight and I feel like the tin man

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Early onset joint arthritis symptoms don’t help either. I’m down 15 pounds from my post college athlete contentment weight and I feel like the tin man

Yep - this is where it heads. My squat form is better than it's been, my hip flexibility is cleaner, but I'm older so my hips are still crunchier in the morning when I get into the first rep. You can mitigate and work on strength and flexibility and core strength for stability and you should do all of those things, but miles are miles.

• Like 1

My top ten staple foods:

Garlic - It's in every soup/stew I make. I cook it with my fish, steaks and eggs. Garlic is a true superfood that makes virtually everything taste better.

Onion - Like garlic, onion is practically involved in all of my savory dishes, especially soups and stews.

Dark chocolate - I'm one of the few thatbactually enjoys the bitter taste. Dark chocolate is also an excellent mood booster and I love melting it and putting it in my coffee.

Eggs - I eat three eggs every day. One of the easiest ways to keep stomach growling away.

Sweet potatoes - My usual "dessert". Put on a thin layer of coconut oil, bake it for an hournat 375 and top itnwith some raw honey butter, salt and cinnamon.

Steak - I eat steak every Friday as a "welcome to the weekend treat".

Salmon - Steak in fish form.

Spinach - Virgin Lettuce vs. Chad Spinach.

Coconut - Islanders call it the fruit of life for a reason. The oil is ridiculously versatile and the water/milk are nature's energy drink. I like to use the meat as a coating for tropical fish.

Watermelon - Best part about summer are these things being in season. Like coconut water/milk, watermelon reinvigorates me almost instantly after a workout.

12 hours ago, biggie. said:

Coconut - Islanders call it the fruit of life for a reason. The oil is ridiculously versatile and the water/milk are nature's energy drink. I like to use the meat as a coating for tropical fish.

I need to try with fish! I've been getting into coconut as a snack, with breakfast or on the side of a meal but now I want to incorporate with fish.  Any good recipes you like?