Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

On 3/8/2022 at 1:45 PM, AkronsWitness said:

Oh man I am weird, trust me. My body reacts almost instantaneously to food/drink.

I will wake up, feel all nice and trim then I will drink a cup of coffee at my desk and my belly bloats up to make it look like I just at a entire large pizza. My stomach reacts to anything I put into it almost immediately. Like a single cup or two of coffee in the morning makes me bloat up.

If I plank for :30 it will go right back to being tight lol 

Its very strange how it works.

I'd go to a good GI doctor.

• Like 4

On 3/8/2022 at 12:48 PM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

People our age (yes you’re getting lumped in with me) and older need to get over the “fat is bad for you” nonsense we were told when we were younger.

Our bodies need fat.  Cholesterol isn’t necessarily “bad”, it’s absolutely necessary for healthy bodily function.

Now I’m not saying go and be an *** and eat 300g of fat a day, but it’s something everyone should be consuming plenty of.

I don't have studies off hand but I have seen a few people talk about people living longer with "high" cholesterol and actually having a bigger risk when cholesterol is driven too low.  I think the triglycerides will tell a bigger story.  I also like the OmegaQuant where it tells you what fats are in your blood and the ratio of Omega 6:3.  

• Like 3

15 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I'd go to a good GI doctor.

Yeah, this sounds like gerd almost. My wife will have this same kind of thing happen when she has too much acidic or spicy foods without taking her Omeprazole. Stomach distends, feels like crap, and her breath gets crazy hot. 

On 3/9/2022 at 9:47 PM, jetsfan4life51 said:

I cut mine a little shorter...12:12 or 14:10.  I follow "sunrise to sunset" but basically I'll have breakfast within 30-45 mins of waking and I'll eat dinner while it is still light out.  I can't eat dinner at 4 pm otherwise I'll go nuts at night.  I tried to do a 20-24 hour fast once a week and it was okay during the pandemic when I wasn't working, but I was distracted all day by food.

My friend is huge on circadian biology so I am doing all animal fats/protein now with very little carbs.  If I do it's seasonal/veggies/berries.  Cooking veggies or squash in beef tallow and duck fat is definitely tasty.  Eating bone marrow almost every morning for breakfast.  Trying to rotate my protein sources.  I'm also doing protein refeeds on my days off from lifting which I may have mentioned before.

When summer hits I'll have less animal fat and fat overall, throw avocados and olive oil in, then I'll add in a little more carbs from rice, potatoes and fruit.  Whatever is seasonal.  With the extended sunlight and being outside more we should theoretically be able to handle more carbs and a longer feeding window.  I'm not an expert on the matter yet but so far so good.

I was able to more or less start at the 14:10 and then "work my way up" to 16:8. I basically do a 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM type fast, or maybe 10:30 to 6:30.

I'm a big believer in animal protein and nuts personally.

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I was able to more or less start at the 14:10 and then "work my way up" to 16:8. I basically do a 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM type fast, or maybe 10:30 to 6:30.

I'm a big believer in animal protein and nuts personally.

That is my breakfast most days. 

Hard for me to get a meal in between 9-12 so I have to eat before work, otherwise that would be an ideal schedule. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I started really focusing on Olympic Lifting, and damn if I skip one day I feel like it takes two days of work to get the movement down again. I want to get really good at it to coach my kids on them, but man. We might just have to have our off days involve a 15 pound bar. We already do push ups, sit ups, and split leg squats every night, might see if I can only add 2-3 minutes with this on it. 

I'm just doing a light form session for 5-10 reps would make a difference. Its what I did to help my ankle mobility for squats and cleans, hopefully I can just try to make it a speed session rather than actually do a full 4-6 sets.

I've been running a lot.  Which sucks mostly.  I started it at home like a year and a bit ago, and found some places to go.  But moving to a new city and new vistas kinda makes it more worthwhile.  It's a double function exploration feature.  That part is kinda fun.

I feel like i've probably dropped 10lbs.  But in a way that makes me feel a lot better about myself.  Feel like i'm closer to back to my "ripped" skinny *** high school self, but a lot stronger and a lot bigger overall.  Part of that has been using weights though, and i haven't been doing that lately.

I've just been doing bodyweight stuff.  And i feel like part of rounding things out is the other component.  I just cant decide between going full gym, and just buying a set of moderate weights to work with at home.

I feel like The Gym is one of my least favourites places on earth, on every level.  I've even got a free membership to a decent one right now, and i just do not want any part of it.  I hate that it's so communal.  Does anyone have anything to offer on mitigating that aspect?

On 4/2/2022 at 4:52 AM, Tugboat said:

I've been running a lot.  Which sucks mostly.  I started it at home like a year and a bit ago, and found some places to go.  But moving to a new city and new vistas kinda makes it more worthwhile.  It's a double function exploration feature.  That part is kinda fun.

I feel like i've probably dropped 10lbs.  But in a way that makes me feel a lot better about myself.  Feel like i'm closer to back to my "ripped" skinny *** high school self, but a lot stronger and a lot bigger overall.  Part of that has been using weights though, and i haven't been doing that lately.

I've just been doing bodyweight stuff.  And i feel like part of rounding things out is the other component.  I just cant decide between going full gym, and just buying a set of moderate weights to work with at home.

I feel like The Gym is one of my least favourites places on earth, on every level.  I've even got a free membership to a decent one right now, and i just do not want any part of it.  I hate that it's so communal.  Does anyone have anything to offer on mitigating that aspect?

I stopped going to the gym once Covid hit and am in better shape than I ever have been. Found a pull up/dip bar and some adjustable dumbbells on Marketplace and bought a bench and it's been amazing. Really comes down to whether you know what you're doing and how committed you actually are. 

The only downside is that working out in the same basement 6x a week can get dry, but I'm only there for one purpose so there's really no need to focus on anything else. 

• Like 1

I just bought some adjustable dumbbells and am looking to get a stationary bike. I’ll still probably hit the gym 1 time or so a week for heavy lifts like bench and leg press (can’t squat anymore, sad times), but I’d like the 30 minute to 1 hour window from my own home that I can get. 

So I'm thinking about changing to a push, pull, legs split.

Just push, pull, legs, rest and repeat that.

My question is about volume. I've always probably been a little bit too high on volume. I always feel like I'm not getting enough volume per muscle group, so I'm really nervous about giving this a shot, but...

For legs I'm just going to do 4x8 squats, 3x12 leg press 2x15 lunges and 50 calf raises and just increase the weight each day as I can. Not worried about legs. My legs are the easiest thing for me to gain muscle on.

But for pull, I was thinking about just doing one workout per muscle. So a biceps 4x8, forearm 4x8, back 4x8, delts 4x8 and then just do one set to failure on each of those.

Same for push. Chest, triceps, Shoulders and I don't even know but I'm throwing a traps workout into push just because pull already had 4. All 4x8, and then one rep to failure.

Opinions on failure sets? Two sets? Just one set?

I am planning on alternating the workout each day, too.

So for the first Push workout, I'd be doing bench press 4x8 and chest flyes to faillure. The next time it's push, I'd do chest flyes 4x8 and then decline dumbbell press to failure, etc.

Edited by Outpost31

34 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

So I'm thinking about changing to a push, pull, legs split.

Just push, pull, legs, rest and repeat that.

I’ve done it his split before.  It’s good of you’re trying to gain and eating and sleeping to support if not, it sucks the life out of you.

My question is about volume. I've always probably been a little bit too high on volume. I always feel like I'm not getting enough volume per muscle group, so I'm really nervous about giving this a shot, but...

For legs I'm just going to do 4x8 squats, 3x12 leg press 2x15 lunges and 50 calf raises and just increase the weight each day as I can. Not worried about legs. My legs are the easiest thing for me to gain muscle on.

Straight leg deadlifts are great for hamstrings too and help with flexibility for our old arses.  Just a thought…

Other than that, good volume imo.

But for pull, I was thinking about just doing one workout per muscle. So a biceps 4x8, forearm 4x8, back 4x8, delts 4x8 and then just do one set to failure on each of those.

I like training back so maybe this is just me, but I’d probably want more than 4 sets for back.  I wouldn’t train them with the same volume as forearms or biceps tbh.  Much more bang for your bucks with back.  Pull-ups, rows, pendlays, etc, all work forearms and biceps. Deads/rack pulls will hit forearms and posterior chain.

Same for push. Chest, triceps, Shoulders and I don't even know but I'm throwing a traps workout into push just because pull already had 4. All 4x8, and then one rep to failure.

I tend to do the split as;

-chest/tri/anterior + lateral delts. Military press is a good exercise for shoulders here.

-back, biceps, rear delt 

Opinions on failure sets? Two sets? Just one set?

Failure sets can be great at times, but if you’re doing it for every exercise, every workout, you’re gonna burn out even if you’re eating and sleeping well in my experience.

I am planning on alternating the workout each day, too.

So for the first Push workout, I'd be doing bench press 4x8 and chest flyes to faillure. The next time it's push, I'd do chest flyes 4x8 and then decline dumbbell press to failure, etc.

Be careful with flys.  High rate of injury and not a great chest exercise in general imo.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Be careful with flys.  High rate of injury and not a great chest exercise in general imo.

Not sure I agree with this part. Not about the injury part so it's important to stay focused and not use too much weight, but I really started noticing development once I started incorporating different types of flys.