Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

On 12/14/2021 at 5:44 PM, kingseanjohn said:

I use Optimum Nutrition's chocolate flavor mixed with almond milk. The taste reminds me of the milk left over from a bowl of Cocoa Pebbles or Cocoa Puffs. I enjoy it. I've also had their vanilla flavor but I wasn't a big fan of it.

Their cookies and cream is also pretty rough

Improved by 7 minutes on my 12 Days of Christmas workout this year. If you have what is required to do this workout, I recommend trying it. It is really fun.

It plays out like the 12 Days of Christmas song. Here are the movements:

1 power ****** (95#)

2 ring dips

3 burpees

4 pull ups

5 toes to bar

6 push ups

7 air squats

8 jumping lunges

9 box jumps (24")

10 wall balls (20#)

11 kb swings (overhead, 53#)

12 thrusters (95#)

So you start with 1 power ******. Then you do 2 ring dips and 1 power ******. Then 3 burpees, 2 ring dips, 1 power ******. Then 4 pull ups, 3 burpees, 2 ring dips, 1 power ******. And so on and so on, just like the song. My previous best was about 30 and a half minutes, but I finished it this year in 23 minutes. Tried to do it all in a santa costume but I got way too hot way too quickly.

11 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Can we make an exception for the language filter in the weightlifting thread to not filter out an Olympic lifting movement that involves bringing a barbell from the floor to overhead in one motion?

I couldn't figure out what that was suppose to be until I read this comment. Also, a wholesome example of a power ******.

Baby Winner GIF

• Like 2

On 12/22/2021 at 5:21 PM, twslhs20 said:

I'm doing a back day with out equipment in my apartment since I'm in quarantine until Sunday.

I added dips to it using my kitchen island as a count balance.

Anyone have some good tips for leg, bi's tri's and shoulders?

Legs - Single leg split squat.

You don't even need the dumbbells, the further forward your leg is, the harder. You can do slow reps, high reps, or even one a half reps (down all the way, halfway up, back down, all the way up = one rep).

• Like 1

What's the best rep range for a cut while maintaining as much strength as possible? I'm just about finished with SL5x5, and I'm the strongest I've ever been. I'd like to start a cut over these next three months before my trip to Vegas and summer time, and want to maintain as much strength as possible. Haven't been able to find much online. Should i stick around the 5 rep range, bump up to 8-10, or shoot for 12+?

• Like 1

On 12/23/2021 at 8:43 AM, minutemancl said:

Can we make an exception for the language filter in the weightlifting thread to not filter out an Olympic lifting movement that involves bringing a barbell from the floor to overhead in one motion?

Looking into it...

On 11/8/2021 at 8:22 AM, ET80 said:

I just finished up on a 5x5 routine from 09/01/21 to 11/01/21. Happy overall with ending numbers:

Squat: 315 (from 255)

Bench: 225 (from 175)

Deadlift: 355 (from 225)

OH Press: 135 (stayed at 135, shoulders are wonky)

Barbell Row: 225 (from 185)

These aren't huge numbers for some of you, I'd imagine - but not too shabby for a 42 year old with bad joints, IMO.

Now I'm focusing more on Cardio: Four days a week of running/elliptical/stairmaster or spin, along with a light individual muscle group workout. I'm also adding in a full stretch/foam roller/ab day every Wednesday...

So I've been pretty much sticking to the cardio with some moderate lifts - nothing really structured, lifting with two of my gym buddies after my cardio routine - but I'm probably going to start back up on 5x5 next week from Jan through February.

From March until June, I'm thinking about trying the Smolov 13 wk back squat program, but... that's a LOT of squats.

Any thoughts on what to get into after a two month 5x5 routine? I find that I get better results when I have a structured lifting program and don't have to think about it... So I'm open to any suggestions on what post 5x5 in 2022 looks like.

7 hours ago, smetana34 said:

What's the best rep range for a cut while maintaining as much strength as possible? I'm just about finished with SL5x5, and I'm the strongest I've ever been. I'd like to start a cut over these next three months before my trip to Vegas and summer time, and want to maintain as much strength as possible. Haven't been able to find much online. Should i stick around the 5 rep range, bump up to 8-10, or shoot for 12+?

Eat more protein than you recently have been eating.  I personally like to do a high protein/fat and very low carb diet when trying to lose fat and keep/gain strength.  Especially if keeping the reps low you really don't need to have a lot of carbs.

You have three months, you shouldn't be sticking to the same rep range anyway.  You can do something linear where you month one it's 12, month two 8-10 then month three it's 5 reps.  Each month taper down carbs/calories.

The other key is using weight close to your 1RM percentages.  If you can do 225 for 5 reps then you should be able to do 205 for 8 reps and 185 for 12 reps.  If you move to 8 reps and are doing 185 lbs instead of 205 lbs then you will likely lose some strength.

EDIT- just thought of another thing.... specifically for bench.  If you are worried about losing strength for bench press I would focus on getting stronger on both Incline bench and Overhead Press.  If you strengthen both of those while on the cut you'll keep your bench gains, or come back even stronger.

Edited by jetsfan4life51
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Eat more protein than you recently have been eating.  I personally like to do a high protein/fat and very low carb diet when trying to lose fat and keep/gain strength.  Especially if keeping the reps low you really don't need to have a lot of carbs.

You have three months, you shouldn't be sticking to the same rep range anyway.  You can do something linear where you month one it's 12, month two 8-10 then month three it's 5 reps.  Each month taper down carbs/calories.

The other key is using weight close to your 1RM percentages.  If you can do 225 for 5 reps then you should be able to do 205 for 8 reps and 185 for 12 reps.  If you move to 8 reps and are doing 185 lbs instead of 205 lbs then you will likely lose some strength.

EDIT- just thought of another thing.... specifically for bench.  If you are worried about losing strength for bench press I would focus on getting stronger on both Incline bench and Overhead Press.  If you strengthen both of those while on the cut you'll keep your bench gains, or come back even stronger.

Excellent. Thank you very much!

Any suggestions at all on a program? The one thing that i love about Strong Lifts is how it takes the guess work out of everything with its day to day schedule, its tracker, and built in alarm. It made it very easy to focus on just lifting and not worrying about anything else. I think that's why I've been able to stay committed these past four months. In the past i would lose track of time during rest periods, or would add weight/progress slower than i probably should've, and it lead to a mixed bag of results