Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

1 minute ago, Dr LBC said:

I don't use WPI.  I've found I was already supplementing enough food protein that I wasn't going to risk the kidney issues that can come with a major protein imbalance in diet.  Granted, my kidneys were also pretty screwed for a while, so I keep some Nitrotech in the pantry if I hit a spell (usually ahead of vacations) where I want to cut.  I use a fully plant-based (pea) protein powder - vanilla when mixed with water tastes like a cinnamon roll and I'm cool with that.  Because it's not an isolate it's higher in the carbs, but they're literally like the only complex carbs in my diet for the most part, so my body does fine processing them.

I've also gotten big into the Oikos Triple Zero yogurts - no fat, no sugar, simple carbs (so if you have it ahead of a workout you easily account for them even in just a 30-minute lift), and 15g of protein.

Going to have to check that out. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Going to have to check that out. Thanks!

The plant-based one I use on the regular is carried by Costco but Amazon also carries it for Prime members.

Also, low-sodium deli meat slices can be your best friend for snacking.  If you talk to the deli person, they can actually cut you 1oz slices and it makes it pretty easy to track.

Edited by Dr LBC
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, biggie. said:

Basically taking Stronglifts 5x5 and narrowing things down to two workouts: Workout A is bench press/situps and Workout B is squat/pushups.

Once I can no longer progress on either, I'm switching to Madcow for just those two. Once that's exhausted, it's off to the dreaded Smolov Squats and Smolov Jr. Bench.

Seems like a waste of time tbh.

Why cut out squat/barbell row and ohp/deadlift?

12 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Seems like a waste of time tbh.

Why cut out squat/barbell row and ohp/deadlift?

1. Time. I don't have a commute, but military gyms get REALLY busy. Doing 5x5 315+ lbs squats with warmup and 3 minute rest in between sets alone is time consuming.

2. Energy. Heavy squats are really taxing and it's affecting the other lifts. I tried doing 185 lbs 5x5 bench after 315 lbs squats on Monday and it just sucked. When I separated them I feel so much stronger.

3. Since the goal is to build up to Smolov, I don't see much point in the other 3.

4. Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday are cardio days and I'm working up to ranger standard 5 mile run and 12 mile ruck.

Edited by biggie.

16 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Thank you. I asked the guy at GNC and he basically looked at me like I was a alien. Im like dude Im not asking for a magic pill to burn 30lbs by sitting on the couch--im just looking for something that accelerates the fat burning process with regular diet/exercise. 

The best I got out of him was this

19ACDUMPMNSRPPDVPGEN?qlt=70&wid=600&fmt=

NGL, the guys at GNC get paid to sell that stuff and really don’t know much. 

I would do fish oil and L-Carnitine for a little fat loss boost. Combine that with a diet centered around protein and veggies. Do full body workouts for a month or two and you’ll be good. 

8 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

NGL, the guys at GNC get paid to sell that stuff and really don’t know much. 

I would do fish oil and L-Carnitine for a little fat loss boost. Combine that with a diet centered around protein and veggies. Do full body workouts for a month or two and you’ll be good. 

Do you have a specific brand that is trustworthy? I prefer tablets (because they are easier) than the powder for shakes.

I looked up L-Carnitine and there are like 500 different kinds and serving sizes lol

Edited by AkronsWitness

• 4 weeks later...

What are some fitness channels you guys watch?

Been watching Garage Strength on YouTube for more ideas to work my two older kids without getting too much in weight or gimmicky. Really like some of the lifts and dynamic movements to be more applicable than just single moves. But then I saw him review Clarence0's time-lapse of training. Awesome to see him again. I know he isn't natty but seeing him do the weights he does without being ridiculously large and still athletic was cool. 

Juggernaut training is a great channel too. EliteFTS has some really good vids but can be kinda bland on the delivery. Stan Efferding is a favorite of mine as well. 

On 2/20/2022 at 6:31 PM, Sugashane said:

Been watching Garage Strength on YouTube for more ideas to work my two older kids without getting too much in weight or gimmicky. Really like some of the lifts and dynamic movements to be more applicable than just single moves. But then I saw him review Clarence0's time-lapse of training. Awesome to see him again. I know he isn't natty but seeing him do the weights he does without being ridiculously large and still athletic was cool. 

Juggernaut training is a great channel too. EliteFTS has some really good vids but can be kinda bland on the delivery. Stan Efferding is a favorite of mine as well. 

Back in the day I really liked Scott Herman.

I don't really watch anything on YouTube but I have a ton of IG accounts I like.

I like Ben Pakulski and Mark Bell for podcasts.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2022 at 6:31 PM, Sugashane said:

Sean Nalewanyj is probably my go to.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2022 at 3:18 PM, AkronsWitness said:

Do you have a specific brand that is trustworthy? I prefer tablets (because they are easier) than the powder for shakes.

I looked up L-Carnitine and there are like 500 different kinds and serving sizes lol

Late to the party here, but most fat burners are a complete waste of money.

Most are just stimulants that blunt your appetite.  If anyone has actual data showing any real benefit to taking a particular ingredient I’m all ears, but I’m not aware of any.

At the end of the day, it’s CICO.

6 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Late to the party here, but most fat burners are a complete waste of money.

Most are just stimulants that blunt your appetite.  If anyone has actual data showing any real benefit to taking a particular ingredient I’m all ears, but I’m not aware of any.

At the end of the day, it’s CICO.

It's mind blowing to me that we can put a man on the moon but we can't develop a tablet that accelerates weight loss.