Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

11 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

How are you guys about protein intake?  I weigh 175 lbs. and according to what I'm hearing I should be getting .6 to 1 gram of protein per lb.  Which means I should be getting 105 to 175 grams of protein a day.  Even with the protein shake I'm taking and jerky that I've brought to snack on, I'm probably still around 60-80 grams of protein a day.

Thinking about adding protein bars as well to snack on.  If I do, any recommendations (Been looking at Atlas protein bars)?  I love the taste of protein shakes but most protein bars I've had in the past I wasn't a fan of. And other than protein bars and trying to stuff more chicken into my meals, any other tips?

A gram per pound is excessive imo.  IIRC correctly about 0.8grams/lb is the ideal number for muscle growth. 

Eff protein bars, eat meat/eggs/dairy, way tastier imo.

Eggs and egg whites, cheese, bacon, lean ground beef, cottage cheese, salmon (fish in general), canned tuna, pork tenderloin, crab, scallops, lobster, steak, pot roast, etc, tons of options.  Google some recipes and switch things up a bit if your sick of chicken.

24 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

And other than protein bars and trying to stuff more chicken into my meals, any other tips?

You like eggs?

You counting the protein you get from other sources (vegetables, nuts, dairy)? Add it all up and it's not negligible.

I think a lot of people under-estimate their protein intake.

45 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

A gram per pound is excessive imo.  IIRC correctly about 0.8grams/lb is the ideal number for muscle growth. 

Eff protein bars, eat meat/eggs/dairy, way tastier imo.

Eggs and egg whites, cheese, bacon, lean ground beef, cottage cheese, salmon (fish in general), canned tuna, pork tenderloin, crab, scallops, lobster, steak, pot roast, etc, tons of options.  Google some recipes and switch things up a bit if your sick of chicken.

42 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I just grill chicken breasts and eat those as "protein bars" as a snack. Just grab them out of the fridge. Super easy.

38 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

You like eggs?

You counting the protein you get from other sources (vegetables, nuts, dairy)? Add it all up and it's not negligible.

I think a lot of people under-estimate their protein intake.

Sounds like adding chicken breasts and egg whites are the way to go.  I do think my protein intake is low because:

1. I only eat 2 meals a day (Lunch and Dinner).
  2. My wife is vegetarian and usually my lunch is veggie, mainly salads (without a protein component besides when she makes Broccoli salads).   I think I'll have to have some chicken breasts ready, so I can quickly cook it up and add it to the salads.
  3. I don't really snack, and only drink water (aside from alcohol which isn't really going to provide me protein).  I started adding protein shakes and recently Jerky.  But that's probably only adding 30g of protein.  And I doubt my other meals combined are more than 50g of protein.

Appreciate the feedback.  Going to look into buying some egg whites to chug...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

Sounds like adding chicken breasts and egg whites are the way to go.

FYI - don't be afraid of yolks.

"Yolks = unhealthy" has been debunked thoroughly. Feel free to eat the whole egg (yum!)

The whole "don't eat the egg yolks" thing came from the dietary cholestorol bogeyman - one that has been scientifically dispelled with in recent years. Here's a secondary source:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/panel-suggests-stop-warning-about-cholesterol-in-food-201502127713

Warnings against eating foods high in cholesterol, like eggs or shrimp, have been a mainstay of dietary recommendations for decades. That could change if the scientific advisory panel for the 2015 iteration of the Dietary Guidelines for Americans has its say.

A summary of the committee’s December 2014 meeting says “Cholesterol is not considered a nutrient of concern for overconsumption.” Translation: You don’t need to worry about cholesterol in your food.

Why not? There’s a growing consensus among nutrition scientists that cholesterol in food has little effect on the amount of cholesterol in the bloodstream. And that’s the cholesterol that matters.

Nutrition experts like Dr. Walter C. Willett, chair of the Department of Nutrition at Harvard School of Public Health, called the plan a reasonable move. Dr. Steven Nissen, chair of cardiovascular medicine at the Cleveland Clinic, told USA Today “It’s the right decision. We got the dietary guidelines wrong.”

^I realize that's from 2015 but food science moves at a glacial pace.

Edited by cddolphin
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

FYI - don't be afraid of yolks.

"Yolks = unhealthy" has been debunked thoroughly. Feel free to eat the whole egg (yum!)

The whole "don't eat the egg yolks" thing came from the dietary cholestorol bogeyman - one that has been scientifically dispelled with in recent years. Here's a secondary source:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/panel-suggests-stop-warning-about-cholesterol-in-food-201502127713

^I realize that's from 2015 but food science moves at a glacial pace.

I only mentioned whites es they are purely protein.  

Generally speaking, the yolks are where all the good stuff’s at.

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 4:06 PM, TheVillain112 said:

How are you guys about protein intake?  I weigh 175 lbs. and according to what I'm hearing I should be getting .6 to 1 gram of protein per lb.  Which means I should be getting 105 to 175 grams of protein a day.  Even with the protein shake I'm taking and jerky that I've brought to snack on, I'm probably still around 60-80 grams of protein a day.

Thinking about adding protein bars as well to snack on.  If I do, any recommendations (Been looking at Atlas protein bars)?  I love the taste of protein shakes but most protein bars I've had in the past I wasn't a fan of. And other than protein bars and trying to stuff more chicken into my meals, any other tips?

Yikes that's low, what are you eating?  I tell all my female clients get at least 100 grams.

First 30 goes towards liver detox and second 30 goes towards immune system.  You need much more than 60-80

18 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Yikes that's low, what are you eating?  I tell all my female clients get at least 100 grams.

First 30 goes towards liver detox and second 30 goes towards immune system.  You need much more than 60-80

Yeah, believe me I know.  Brought some smoked salmon, and protein chips.  Going to try to add another meal into my diet now as well probably consisting of eggs for the most part...

On 6/2/2018 at 6:59 PM, jetsfan4life51 said:

Yikes that's low, what are you eating?

0.6g - 1g per pound of body weight is the figure with the most scientific oooomph behind it, and the studies have been posted in this forum three times over.

20 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Something like this?

http://mikhailapeterson.com/

Somewhat. It's basically a similar concept. I've been eating terribly for a month or so now (I have no regrets) and even though I haven't put on any weight, I'm trying to get a little leaner and start back my healthy eating habits. It's mostly lean meats (with bacon thrown in occasionally), vegetables (no starches like corn/carrots, except for sweet potatoes), minimal fruits (sugar) with the exception of berries, and certain nuts.

It will be a long 10-11 days, but I'll feel great and help my body reset a little bit (I know that's up for debate around here LOL).