Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

7 hours ago, Shady Slim said:

in terms of weight loss your body has a set point that must be gradually lowered and can not be rapidly dropped, which is why losing weight is recommended to be done at a pace of 0.5-1kg weekly

There is nothing factually accurate about this at all tbh.

postmedj00315-0056.pdf

That’s the intro to a case report from a 50 year old study of a guy who fasted for over a year.  Lost 200 lbs and subsequently kept it off. Just one fun example. Angus Barbieri is his name if you want to research further.

this is why fad diets are bad natch, because though you might lose twenty kilos in ten weeks by eating grapefruits and licking lemons and doing nothing else to change regarding a healthier lifestyle, your brain says no and brings you back up to your SP,

Lose weight slowly and go back to eating the same BS as before and your weight will go back on just the same.

which is why most people who fad diet put the weight back on and then some. making this an even bigger problem is the fact that the set point can swiftly rise but takes much longer to drop, and so you can "sustainably" (given that it's almost never a good thing to put fat on for no reason) gain weight and keep it gained easier than lose weight and keep it lost

Some of this is true, but you can change habits and lifestyle and lose weight more rapidly as well.  

Google keto, IF and autophagy. If already in ketosis, 24-48 fasts can be incredibly effective at losing fat and provide other health benefits as well (autophagy).

Once the fat is off, it’s up to you to keep your diet/lifestyle in check to keep it off.  The method used to take it off is irrelevant at that point.

23 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Why is that?  It would seem the value would be relative to the person, why such a broad generalization? Fasting has other benefits too btw.

How is that different from fat lost any other way?

Yeah and for me that's not worth it.  I'd much rather eat and not risk a binge. Never said for others not to do it or it not having benefits but 36 hours is a freaking long time without food.

the idea is though you're more likely to stick to a weight loss diet plan if the weight loss diet plan is founded in healthy habits

like if you burn a kilo from ketosis based weight loss, generally you haven't learned anything as such - which is why generally it's not as effective as a sustainable weight loss method. this isn't to say it doesn't work - but for most people it's simply not as sustainable as developing yourself a healthy lifestyle. like you say, once you have the weight off its up to you to keep it off

and by and large

its easier to keep it off if you already have the habits developed, rather than if you're only developing them or only starting to develop them now

for what it's worth the set point thing is more psychological than physiological from memory 

but yeah i'm not saying fasting doesn't work just that it's much harder to keep the weight off

• Like 2

Y’all are acting as if someone can’t both fast and have healthy habits.

The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

57 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Yeah and for me that's not worth it.  I'd much rather eat and not risk a binge. Never said for others not to do it or it not having benefits but 36 hours is a freaking long time without food.

It’s not that long.  If you’ve never done it, give it a try.  It’s not as bad as you think, but it is a good test of mental toughness and discipline.

1 minute ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

@LETSGOBROWNIES 4 hours is long enough for me lol

I eat dinner as late as 930-10 some nights and I still wake up hungry at 630.

EDIT- I'm also very prone to binging when going too long without food

I get it, I was too.  IF had actually helped curb my appetite and made managing food/weight easier.

I generally hate fasting (who likes being hungry?) but it is effective at burning fat and is quite healthy.

16 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Y’all are acting as if someone can’t both fast and have healthy habits.

The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

It’s not that long.  If you’ve never done it, give it a try.  It’s not as bad as you think, but it is a good test of mental toughness and discipline.

I agree that you can have it. I think the issue is most people lack the willpower to actually stick to any plan long-term, especially if it isn't convienent for them. 

Apparently fat acceptance is all the rage. Donut fueled, cream filled rage. 

22 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I agree that you can have it. I think the issue is most people lack the willpower to actually stick to any plan long-term, especially if it isn't convienent for them. 

For sure.  I get it, who doesn’t like to eat, but folks are crazy with stuff.

I personally find keto and IF much easier to stick to than any other “diet” I’ve tried, especially the typical high protein, low fat bro diet. One day of fasting is like a giant eraser for a bad weekend where you may have ate or drank a bit too much.  Overindulge on the weekend, fast on Tuesday or Wednesday and by Friday it’s like the lapse in judgement the previous weekend never happened.

22 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Apparently fat acceptance is all the rage. Donut fueled, cream filled rage. 

It’s nuts.  I’m not one to bash someone for being obese, but let’s not pretend it’s healthy or unavoidable.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

For sure.  I get it, who doesn’t like to eat, but folks are crazy with stuff.

I personally find keto and IF much easier to stick to than any other “diet” I’ve tried, especially the typical high protein, low fat bro diet. One day of fasting is like a giant eraser for a bad weekend where you may have ate or drank a bit too much.  Overindulge on the weekend, fast on Tuesday or Wednesday and by Friday it’s like the lapse in judgement the previous weekend never happened.

It’s nuts.  I’m not one to bash someone for being obese, but let’s not pretend it’s healthy or unavoidable.

I'm not one to bash them for being obese, but I won't tiptoe around the subject if they speak ill of my lifestyle (which is far healthier than most so few would want to do what I do) or if they try to act like they are victims.

I'm not going to be mean to you for being fat, but I sure as hell won't celebrate it.

I will poke fun at them too like everyone else - but not too much, their plates are already pretty full. :)

Anyone have suggestions for someone trying to gain weight and bulk up? I'm the type who's metabolism kicks *** but all prevents me from gaining much muscle at all. I workout 3 times a week, and have tried force feeding to no avail, any recommendations if anyone has had any experience with this? 

6 hours ago, LuckyNumber11 said:

Anyone have suggestions for someone trying to gain weight and bulk up? I'm the type who's metabolism kicks *** but all prevents me from gaining much muscle at all. I workout 3 times a week, and have tried force feeding to no avail, any recommendations if anyone has had any experience with this? 

It’s a plus/minus game, eat and lift.

If you tried that and it didn’t work, eat and lift more.  Were you tracking calories and macros? What were you eating?

On 6/26/2018 at 3:34 PM, Heimdallr said:

I know HIIT is just the best thing ever, and I'm gonna keep doing it, but F THIS

I hate long-form cardio, but give me a hill to run up and down for 15 minutes and I walk away feeling destroyed. Heart exploding, blurry peripherals, feels good.

That or I drive over to the local CFB stadium and do some relaxed stadiums while watching all the qt college girls do the same

10 hours ago, LuckyNumber11 said:

you're not eating either enough, or the right foods