Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

1 minute ago, TheVillain112 said:

If you can get your hands on it, I highly recommend Kangaroo meat.  I had it a couple of times when I was in Australia and it's delicious.  22g of protein for 3g of fat and 98 calories...

I'd assume the closest place I could get my hands on it would be Jungle Jim's down there in Cinci. 

29 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

If you can get your hands on it, I highly recommend Kangaroo meat.  I had it a couple of times when I was in Australia and it's delicious.  22g of protein for 3g of fat and 98 calories...

I used to feed my dog kangaroo-based food.

35 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'd assume the closest place I could get my hands on it would be Jungle Jim's down there in Cinci. 

Jungle Jims certainly has everything, so I'd probably say that as well. I hate making trips to a place for one specific item though. Even when I lived in Cincy that'd be too much of a hassle for me and I'd probably just stick with Chicken breast and lean cuts of turkey lol

• Like 1

Interesting anecdote I thought I'd share. I've been on a very slow cut since December. While the reason I went the slow route was purely discipline related, I looked forward to maintaining more strength and muscle mass. For 5 months I ran a strength oriented program focused on the big lifts, very low reps, and didn't miss a day. My strength actually climbed, albeit very small amounts (10 lbs on bench, 15 to squat, 25 to deads), but I was without a doubt pushing more weight at 175 in May then I was at 187 in December. Then I got sick, just a cold, but it threw me out of rhythm, also my knee had been bothering me so I just took it easy for what ended up being 2 weeks..... So I come back to the gym this morning and my upper body strength has plummeted, not like I maxed out, but just based on the reps I was getting and difficulty I am certain my strength has regressed to around where it was in December. Not bothered by it in the least, but I just find it very interesting.... Literally just a 2 week layoff and I am markedly weaker. Wonder if my lower body was spared.

Just a theory based on my little knowledge of this kind of stuff and possible broscience, but I wonder if this is all on the CNS? Like I conditioned it so vigorously during the past few months that it pushed my muscle over the limit, but the moment it got "rest" it reverted to normal and so did my strength since it's not like I actually built any new muscle in this time period. 

12 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Just a theory based on my little knowledge of this kind of stuff and possible broscience, but I wonder if this is all on the CNS?

I don't think that's brocscience at all.

Which do you think makes more sense:

1) you lost a significant enough amount of muscle mass over 2 weeks that caused you to become noticeable weaker

or

2) your CNS fell behind due to fighting off the cold and not being conditioned for two weeks

Reading your post it seems like you've only got back to the gym once since the cold. Pick up your old schedule and I'd be surprised if you haven't returned to your old strength levels within a few workouts.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2018 at 10:01 AM, jetsfan4life51 said:

Resveratrol, curcumin, any estrogen control, vitamin D will all help with balancing out Test and Estrogen levels.

Do you recommend all 4 simultaneously? Are resveratrol and curcumin both estrogen controllers?

Edit: Nvm

Edited by dtait93

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 2:34 PM, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Interesting anecdote I thought I'd share. I've been on a very slow cut since December. While the reason I went the slow route was purely discipline related, I looked forward to maintaining more strength and muscle mass. For 5 months I ran a strength oriented program focused on the big lifts, very low reps, and didn't miss a day. My strength actually climbed, albeit very small amounts (10 lbs on bench, 15 to squat, 25 to deads), but I was without a doubt pushing more weight at 175 in May then I was at 187 in December. Then I got sick, just a cold, but it threw me out of rhythm, also my knee had been bothering me so I just took it easy for what ended up being 2 weeks..... So I come back to the gym this morning and my upper body strength has plummeted, not like I maxed out, but just based on the reps I was getting and difficulty I am certain my strength has regressed to around where it was in December. Not bothered by it in the least, but I just find it very interesting.... Literally just a 2 week layoff and I am markedly weaker. Wonder if my lower body was spared.

Just a theory based on my little knowledge of this kind of stuff and possible broscience, but I wonder if this is all on the CNS? Like I conditioned it so vigorously during the past few months that it pushed my muscle over the limit, but the moment it got "rest" it reverted to normal and so did my strength since it's not like I actually built any new muscle in this time period. 

CNS is downregulated and 5 months of strength was overtraining.  If you went back to the same routine after a few sessions and priming your CNS again you could have a super bounceback and hit PRs.  This was posted on Monday, what has happened since then?

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

CNS is downregulated and 5 months of strength was overtraining.  If you went back to the same routine after a few sessions and priming your CNS again you could have a super bounceback and hit PRs.  This was posted on Monday, what has happened since then?

I've just been running a 5 week periodization program based on Candito's over and over where all the sets for the big 3 are based around the 1 rep maxes that I test at the end of each cycle. For this cycle I took 5 lbs off the bench and 10 off the squat and DL just to ease myself back into thins.  Only week 1, but I've been able to hit all my squat and DL sets no problem, bench sets a bit grindy but completed them nonetheless. I won't know for certain until week 5 where I test my max or if I actually fail a set, if I have gotten weaker, which I feel I have for sure on the bench.

Would you suggest 1 week breaks between each cycle to prevent overtraining? Every other cycle? I always had that in mind as an option but just never felt like I needed the break.

10 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I've just been running a 5 week periodization program based on Candito's over and over where all the sets for the big 3 are based around the 1 rep maxes that I test at the end of each cycle. For this cycle I took 5 lbs off the bench and 10 off the squat and DL just to ease myself back into thins.  Only week 1, but I've been able to hit all my squat and DL sets no problem, bench sets a bit grindy but completed them nonetheless. I won't know for certain until week 5 where I test my max or if I actually fail a set, if I have gotten weaker, which I feel I have for sure on the bench.

Would you suggest 1 week breaks between each cycle to prevent overtraining? Every other cycle? I always had that in mind as an option but just never felt like I needed the break.

PM me the routine and I'll let you know.  Plus I'll send you two videos of exercises to increase your bench without benching.

Usually the best thing to do is alternate between Accumulation and Intensification (volume and strength). So I'd throw in a Functional Hypertrophy phase where you're getting 6-8 reps while working on your assistance lifts.

15 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Anybody try intermittent fasting?

Think I'm gonna do the 8-hour window of eating on the weekdays and on weekends only have 1 meal a day.

I've been doing it for a while now (granted before I knew about intermittent fasting).  In the morning I only have black coffee.  Then my first meal is around noon.  Then I usually eat an early dinner around 6:30pm.  It's actually not bad at all.  Not sure I could go down to just one meal though...

I've recently started running in an attempt to shed my breastmeat.

Two things I've noticed:

1. Basic jogging is for the birds. It takes too long and puts more strain on my joints.

2. Sprinting up hills is faster, less stressful on my joints, and has had a profound impact on my weight loss.

Anyone else notice this?

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I've recently started running in an attempt to shed my breastmeat.

Two things I've noticed:

1. Basic jogging is for the birds. It takes too long and puts more strain on my joints.

2. Sprinting up hills is faster, less stressful on my joints, and has had a profound impact on my weight loss.

Anyone else notice this?

100%.  Started doing HIIT, 20 second sprint followed by a 45 second walk.  Repeat that 10 times.

Much less time, and easier to do than jogging for 30 minutes...