Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

11 hours ago, LuckyNumber11 said:

Anyone have suggestions for someone trying to gain weight and bulk up? I'm the type who's metabolism kicks *** but all prevents me from gaining much muscle at all. I workout 3 times a week, and have tried force feeding to no avail, any recommendations if anyone has had any experience with this? 

Adding a tablespoon or two of extra virgin olive oil to your shakes, salads, pastas, pizza slices, and other meals after they are on your plate will add a lot of calories. You can also add some half and half or whole heavy cream to your shakes for extra calories too. Some people do really well with grazing all day so making something like homemade beef jerky and snacking throughout the day can help, or some other people will actually wake up in the middle of the night to put down a weight gainer shake.

By that I mean one that isn't out of a container. I used oatmeal that I had already blended, 2 scoops of WPI, a banana, 1-2 TBS of EVOO, some milk and heavy cream, and usually some maple syrup. Blend that up and drink it, then go to bed. It's got a lot of calories. 

I've used that as my early morning snack and as my breakfast when I'm running late. Write what you eat for a week (with the accurate portions/weights, not guesses) and afyer the week is done find out your macro intake. I believe most people grossly over-estimate how much food they are really putting down when they have difficulty growing. 

If your metabolism is as high as you make it sound, you likely will have to sacrifice some nutrition dense foods for calorie dense foods. 

• Like 1

If you think you're eating enough and you aren't gaining, chances are you're overestimating what you're consuming. I coach HS football and there is an app that we use called MyFitnessHub or something like that where you chart everything you eat and see if you've hit your protein/carb/caloric goals. We constantly hear "I eat so much and I can't gain any weight! Seriously, I eat like a fat person and don't gain anything." Then we look at their app and find that they really aren't eating as much as they think.

The real big bodybuilders eat all day long. Like insane amounts of food just getting packed into their faces 24/7. If you're looking to gain muscle mass and put on 15-20 pounds of muscle, you need to eat a ton of food and burn off the carbs by killing yourself on lifts.

When I was lifting heavy, I’d get up and eat oatmeal with a scoop of protein powder, lift, have a protein shake when I got back, almonds for a snack, a pound of chicken and some rice at lunch, more nuts as a snack, whatever we’d have normally for dinner (sometimes with more chicken), and casein before bed. And honestly, I’m not even that good at the diet side.

Also, cosign myfitnesspal. It’s a good app, even the free version.

I’ve had a nagging shoulder injury for a while and had a kid in April, so going to the gym isn’t in the cards. Got down to 195 last summer which is a little heavier than I’d ultimately want, but it’s a decent (livable) weight for me. Gotten back up to 215 so I need to get rededicated to dieting, which sucks. Myfitnesspal is super helpful for keeping you honest. But I always do better when I’m working out somehow. So I’m doing some perfect pushup/pullup stuff at home in addition to my usual martial arts stuff since real lifting isn’t an option at the moment. Hopefully that’s enough to keep me motivated to cut some fat.

Why do carbs gotta be so delicious?

5 hours ago, fretgod99 said:

I’ve had a nagging shoulder injury for a while and had a kid in April, so going to the gym isn’t in the cards. Got down to 195 last summer which is a little heavier than I’d ultimately want, but it’s a decent (livable) weight for me. Gotten back up to 215 so I need to get rededicated to dieting, which sucks. Myfitnesspal is super helpful for keeping you honest. But I always do better when I’m working out somehow. So I’m doing some perfect pushup/pullup stuff at home in addition to my usual martial arts stuff since real lifting isn’t an option at the moment. Hopefully that’s enough to keep me motivated to cut some fat.

Why do carbs gotta be so delicious?

Ignore the douchey CellTech nonsense at the end.

I have done DC training off and on for 10 years or so, and Dante had a post that this helped his shoulder issues. I had overuse issues from pitching and catching almost exclusively my whole life in baseball, egolifting with garbage form since I started in 7th grade, etc. While I can't say it has completely cured my shoulders, I can say with certainty it has helped me immensely. I only do one set, but do 20 reps on every upper body day, and over they years my grip has moved in quite a bit (though my hands were laughably wide when I started, so it isn't that impressive. lol)

Just food for thought, this can be done at home with a broom

• Like 1

In the month of July, I'm trying to condense my calories in a 4-hr window every day.

6PM: DRINK (superfood, collagen protein, flaxseeds), Fishoil pills [200 cal]

6:30 PM: 6 oz beef (hormone free, grass fed 15% fat), 6 eggs (Omega 3/cage free), handful of walnuts [1200 cal]

9:30 PM: 30g casein protein, 6 tbsp heavy cream [400 cal]

I supplement with forskolin in the morning and lunchtime, love it.... Circumin and calcium at dinner... chelated minerals (zinc, magn, valadium, chromium) before bed 

I try to workout for 45 minutes 4-6 days/week.

On Saturdays, I'm trying to fast all day, with consuming only a gallon of water (with some salts mixed in). On Sundays, my only meal is a big breakfast early in the AM of eggs, bacon, and avocado. I do my DRINK 30 minutes beforehand first.

We'll see how it goes for the next 4 weeks. 

3 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

In the month of July, I'm trying to condense my calories in a 4-hr window every day.

6PM: DRINK (superfood, collagen protein, flaxseeds), Fishoil pills [200 cal]

6:30 PM: 6 oz beef (hormone free, grass fed 15% fat), 6 eggs (Omega 3/cage free), handful of walnuts [1200 cal]

9:30 PM: 30g casein protein, 6 tbsp heavy cream [400 cal]

I supplement with forskolin in the morning and lunchtime, love it.... Circumin and calcium at dinner... chelated minerals (zinc, magn, valadium, chromium) before bed 

I try to workout for 45 minutes 4-6 days/week.

On Saturdays, I'm trying to fast all day, with consuming only a gallon of water (with some salts mixed in). On Sundays, my only meal is a big breakfast early in the AM of eggs, bacon, and avocado. I do my DRINK 30 minutes beforehand first.

We'll see how it goes for the next 4 weeks. 

Maybe it is just me, but it seems like taking a ton of supplements and eating only meat and fatty dairy, while cutting out all vegetables/fruit is really unhealthy. 

Why not just eat a balanced diet? 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Maybe it is just me, but it seems like taking a ton of supplements and eating only meat and fatty dairy, while cutting out all vegetables/fruit is really unhealthy. 

Guessing he’s trying to stay in ketosis, but no reason not to have veggies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

I agree with this.  A diet high in meat/dairy protein is not healthy: https://qz.com/1291780/high-protein-diets-are-linked-to-heightened-risk-for-heart-disease-even-for-vegetarians/ 

I've been trying to get more protein from vegetables lately (mainly pea protein).  While it also has risks, it's significantly less than Dairy or Meat...

42 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

I agree with this.  A diet high in meat/dairy protein is not healthy: https://qz.com/1291780/high-protein-diets-are-linked-to-heightened-risk-for-heart-disease-even-for-vegetarians/ 

I've been trying to get more protein from vegetables lately (mainly pea protein).  While it also has risks, it's significantly less than Dairy or Meat...

The article you posted doesn't even get the methodology of the study correct:

This research project began in 1984, when scientists launched the Kuopio Ischaemic Heart Disease Risk Factor Study. As part of the study, scientists recruited 2,441 middle-aged and older men and tracked their daily protein consumption for an average of 22 years.

The bolded is patently false, according to the actual primary source:

Baseline food consumption was assessed with a food record of 4 days, one of which was a weekend day, by using household measures. A picture book of common foods and dishes was used to help in the estimation of portion sizes. 

Re-examinations were conducted 4, 11, and 20 years after the baseline. 

So overall they tracked food consumption for a total of 16 days over the 22 year period.

They mention these limitations during the discussion:

Our study also has limitations. The single baseline measurement of diet and other lifestyle factors and the inability of a 4-day food recording to accurately assess typical intakes of occasionally consumed and seasonally varying foods could introduce random error and thus attenuate associations.

I'd look more into the methodology, but:

The data, analytic methods, and study materials will not be made available to other researchers for purposes of reproducing the results or replicating the procedure.

k then, typical American Heart Association obfuscation? My crappy-science senses are tingling...

Also, this seems to imply that any negative association was only statistically significant when it came to the dairy product form of protein, NOT the meat/eggs/fish:

In more detailed analyses, protein from other fermented dairy products (98.4% contained ≤2.5% fat) had a stronger association with HF than protein from cheese (Table 2). Proteins from total meat and from meat subtypes, milk, and plant sources had nonsignificant associations toward increased HF risk (Table 2), without evidence for nonlinear associations (P-nonlinearity >0.10). Proteins from fish and eggs were not associated with HF risk.

In the substitution models, replacing protein from one source with protein from another source did not reveal any statistically significant associations (P>0.05).

Lastly, maybe include other population subgroups beyond middle-aged Finnish men:

Further studies in diverse study populations are needed to elucidate the role of protein intake in the pathogenesis of HF.

*long fart noise*

Edited by cddolphin

Not a perfect study by any means.  It did seem to jive with my expectations, which is probably why I didn't dive into it as much as I should have.  What I took away from it is that when trying to increase my protein doing so with just meat and dairy isn't the way to go.  Eggs, Fish, and Vegetable protein sources should be mixed in...