Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

23 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

What I took away from it is that when trying to increase my protein doing so with just meat and dairy isn't the way to go.  Eggs, Fish, and Vegetable protein sources should be mixed in...

Based on the results for just this study, dairy is the only one where they could show a statistically significant detrimental affect. 

The exact wording was "proteins from total meat and from meat subtypes, milk, and plant sources had nonsignificant associations toward increased heart failure risk", and furthermore "eggs and fish sources were not associated with heart failure risk".

Diet studies in general really grind my gears, especially when crappy websites take this (obviously very limited and not at all conclusive) study and run a headline that reads: 

PROBLEMATIC PROTEIN: High-protein diets are linked to heightened risk for heart disease, even for vegetarians

It's like they make no effort to read the study or to accurately portray it to the general public, and just seize and whatever sensational aspect they can. At least they mention the findings didn't carry over to egg or fish sources: even if it took them 6 paragraphs to do so.

Edited by cddolphin

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 11:43 AM, TheVillain112 said:

I agree with this.  A diet high in meat/dairy protein is not healthy: https://qz.com/1291780/high-protein-diets-are-linked-to-heightened-risk-for-heart-disease-even-for-vegetarians/ 

I've been trying to get more protein from vegetables lately (mainly pea protein).  While it also has risks, it's significantly less than Dairy or Meat...

Garbage article. Of course the AHA is going to make protein sound bad.  Now they can push their grains on people and cause more heart/health issues.

Just read the study and there are some flaws, plus I'm pretty sure it says it's still to be determined if there is a risk.  

They had men track their nutrition 20 years ago then track again now and retest? If that's my understanding we have no clue how they ate during the 20 years or if the tracking was even accurate. The article goes on to show that calcium may be the issue and they admit that it's PROCESSED red meat that's bad.  Of course you eat ****ty quality meat you're going to have health issues. AND the plant sources caused higher risk.  Garbage article.

• Like 1

NVM, @cddolphin took care of it.

But again they don't look at lifestyle either or the carbs/manmade fats/processed foods they are intaking.

Supplement with magnesium and call it a day lol

I really get enraged when it comes to the AHA, or anyone, completely butchering analysis of a study or funding a study to make themselves look good.

1 hour ago, mm6492 said:

So high protein, high fat, high carb and balanced diets are all bad.

Knowledge is a shifting thing. Nutrition studies since WWII have varied in both quality and conclusion; new discoveries are still being made. Not only are we complex as a species but genetic variations undoubtedly play a large role.

14 hours ago, cddolphin said:

Knowledge is a shifting thing. Nutrition studies since WWII have varied in both quality and conclusion; new discoveries are still being made. Not only are we complex as a species but genetic variations undoubtedly play a large role.

Yeah it’s frightening how much we know about all sorts of useless stuff, but something as fundamental as what’s healthy to eat is still up for debate (to some degree).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah it’s frightening how much we know about all sorts of useless stuff, but something as fundamental as what’s healthy to eat is still up for debate (to some degree).

If the human species can be conceptualized as a 35 year old man, we've been conducting modern science for like 3 weeks.

Hell, we don't even know why we have an appendix yet. It's not at all surprising that we don't have all the answers at this point.

If you pretend Human Knowledge is a brick wall, with individual studies being the single bricks; many of those bricks were mortared improperly or weren't structurally sound, and we're discovering that years later. Especially in the nutrition field. Data gets added. Perspectives shift. Context changes, discoveries are made.

That's sort of why I get such a bug up my butt about limited or even terrible science being used to bolster sensational headlines, because let's be real, nobody is reading the primary sources. They're boring and technical and most of it is above most of our heads, and besides that many are behind paywalls.

I have a good friend of mine who is an MD, only been practicing for a year so he's new to the game, but he straight up told me that during the 4 years of medical school they spent, literally, maybe 2 weeks on nutrition / nutrition as a preventative medication / that sort of thing.

tldr;

be especially cautious about articles on nutrition and claims that headlines make

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

I have a good friend of mine who is an MD, only been practicing for a year so he's new to the game, but he straight up told me that during the 4 years of medical school they spent, literally, maybe 2 weeks on nutrition / nutrition as a preventative medication / that sort of thing.

MD's know next to nothing about nutrition or even physiology. Not their job.

If we compare the human body to a car, MD's are mechanics. PhD's are the engineers.

13 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

If the human species can be conceptualized as a 35 year old man, we've been conducting modern science for like 3 weeks.

Hell, we don't even know why we have an appendix yet. It's not at all surprising that we don't have all the answers at this point.

If you pretend Human Knowledge is a brick wall, with individual studies being the single bricks; many of those bricks were mortared improperly or weren't structurally sound, and we're discovering that years later. Especially in the nutrition field. Data gets added. Perspectives shift. Context changes, discoveries are made.

That's sort of why I get such a bug up my butt about limited or even terrible science being used to bolster sensational headlines, because let's be real, nobody is reading the primary sources. They're boring and technical and most of it is above most of our heads, and besides that many are behind paywalls.

tldr;

be especially cautious about articles on nutrition and claims that headlines make

No, I get it, it’s just crazy how much time and effort have been spent on things like space exploration when mankind still isn’t certain how heathly a carb is.

6 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

MD's know next to nothing about nutrition or even physiology. Not their job.

If we compare the human body to a car, MD's are mechanics. PhD's are the engineers.

It sort of is though.

A healthy diet/lifestyle can essentially treat/eliminate diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol (to some degree), gout, minimize arthritis pain, etc.

There’s also some evidence that points to high fat diets being helpful in preventing autoimmune conditions such as RA and multiple sclerosis.

Diet and lifestyle are overlooked far too quickly by most people, MD’s included. Patients would rather take meds for htn/dm/etc than change their lifestyle and MD’s are perfectly happy to prescribe them as opposed to stress the need for lifestyle changes and present the info needed to help the patient make the changes.

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It sort of is though.

A healthy diet/lifestyle can essentially treat/eliminate diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol (to some degree), gout, minimize arthritis pain, etc.

There’s also some evidence that points to high fat diets being helpful in preventing autoimmune conditions such as RA and multiple sclerosis.

Diet and lifestyle are overlooked far too quickly by most people, MD’s included. Patients would rather take meds for htn/dm/etc than change their lifestyle and MD’s are perfectly happy to prescribe them as opposed to stress the need for lifestyle changes and present the info needed to help the patient make the changes.

I think a better way of wording it would have been to say, "Losing weight is very minimally covered in medical school." Knowing the basics of limiting carbs, macros, etc to losing weight is just general information they (as most people who are remotely into fitness) know, but they don't usually go over how to properly adjust once some weight loss is done. Even if they work primarily with someone diabetic patients, it is a level of knowledge that they are usually woefully under-informed on.

As for your post above on knowing so much useless information, I think it is astounding how little we understand the brain. By far the least well documented specialty in medicine.

Edited by Sugashane
  • Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 12:58 PM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It sort of is though.

MDs also make money prescribing drugs.  My uncle who is a doctor is illiterate when it comes to diet and exercise, he just gets people to take a **** ton of pills and continues his research for drug companies. 

Need advice from people who are more knowledgeable than I.

If I were to personal train for a side gig, should I get “ certified”? 

The only thing I would worry about is liability, but wouldn’t a simple statement saying that I assume 0 liability protect me?