Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

11 minutes ago, jonu62882 said:

Thank you, guys.  That's solid advise all around.  I'm gonna put together a list of foods to eat and not to eat and start counting calories.  I drink water, but I have a sweet tooth and like carbs.  I have a lot to cut out, and that's where I'll start.

Don’t try to change everything all at once, it’s hard as hell to make all of that stick.

Cut the garbage food and be more active, you’ll see some results.  You can refine things and improve your habits over time.

Good for you though man.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Don’t try to change everything all at once, it’s hard as hell to make all of that stick.

Cut the garbage food and be more active, you’ll see some results.  You can refine things and improve your habits over time.

Good for you though man.

@jonu62882 To add to this, it is much easier to reinforce your new habits and stick with it after you start seeing results. Just make a few easy changes to get started, and go from there. The first 2-3 weeks are the hardest, but once you get past that your new habits will actually just be habits and won't take any effort.

• Like 1

I am under no illusion that this will be easy. 

Just out of curiosity, what do you think about completely starving yourself for a month?  I saw a guy that did that once, and it gave him quicker success in weight loss with not much negative side effects.  Is that safe?  Has anyone heard of this?!

7 hours ago, jonu62882 said:

I am under no illusion that this will be easy. 

Just out of curiosity, what do you think about completely starving yourself for a month?  I saw a guy that did that once, and it gave him quicker success in weight loss with not much negative side effects.  Is that safe?  Has anyone heard of this?!

You’ll lose a ton of weight.

And unless you change your habits, you’ll gain it right back.

Fasting is great, and beneficial, but what you’re describing isn’t what you need.

You didn’t get fat overnight, it’s not going to come off overnight.  Planning for times you’ll fall off the wagon (you will, everyone does.  Just get back on and move on), vacations, holidays, etc. plan on 1 lb per week. Now about how much weight you want to lose. That’ll give you an idea as to what type of time you’re looking at if you aren’t willing to give up EVERYTHING, which I’d argue you shouldn’t.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

You’ll lose a ton of weight.

And unless you change your habits, you’ll gain it right back.

Fasting is great, and beneficial, but what you’re describing isn’t what you need.

You didn’t get fat overnight, it’s not going to come off overnight.  Planning for times you’ll fall off the wagon (you will, everyone does.  Just get back on and move on), vacations, holidays, etc. plan on 1 lb per week. Now about how much weight you want to lose. That’ll give you an idea as to what type of time you’re looking at if you aren’t willing to give up EVERYTHING, which I’d argue you shouldn’t.

Exactly. Shock diets aren't going to make lasting changes.

If you make a meal plan, make it easy to start off at. Check your weight in the same time each week (Sunday upon waking for example) and take pictures in the same spot/lighting/time of day to keep an accurate gauge of what you are doing. Sometimes, if you're undertrained especially, you might not see the scale moving down but 1 pound a month of so. Looking at the pictures you might see your waist shrinking a bit, bodyfat slightly going down, but the scale says the same weight. Well, you might have been filling out some muscle that you had let shrink. That is why the pictures are important, and keeping the conditions identical prevents you from getting BS'ed by yourself.

When you see weight stop dropping, don't add 3 hours cardio or cut cals by 25%. Make it a small change. Like 10g less carbs per meal each day (not as big of a change as it sounds), or add 10 mins of cardio on your sessions.

People who throw everything at themselves at once get burned out and quit. Going to the gym 12 times a week is not sustainable for us, we have real lives that doeasn't revolve around the gym to make us money. Slowly ramp things up, then when you need a break, take one but use common sense with what you do. Eventually you should take a week or two to deload, then start all over at a slightly more restricted set up than your first week. Then start slowly getting more restricted as before.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, jonu62882 said:

Good stuff.  So, "slow and steady wins the race" is what everyone is saying....

Also, what's the opinion of 3 larger, typical meals versus 5 smaller meals?  Does that matter in aiding digestion/burning calories?

Generally eating less lowers the insulin response, which can help with weight loss, but do whichever is easiest for you.

I’d rather eat 2-3 times per day but eat an actual meal as opposed to snack.

I saw you said you were doing 1k deficit in another thread, tbh that’s a lot. 500 to start is a lot more doable.

I like a small breakfast, small lunch and regular, filling dinner, but that’s just me.

14 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Generally eating less lowers the insulin response, which can help with weight loss, but do whichever is easiest for you.

I’d rather eat 2-3 times per day but eat an actual meal as opposed to snack.

I saw you said you were doing 1k deficit in another thread, tbh that’s a lot. 500 to start is a lot more doable.

I like a small breakfast, small lunch and regular, filling dinner, but that’s just me.

1,000 cal deficit would put me at about 1,800 cals/day, which is I think is what the average healthy person takes in.  No?

"Starvation Mode" does not exist unless you have no bodyfat. Kids in Africa are in starvation mode. We are not.

After doing the 3-4 hour eating window for awhile, I truly believe that we are not meant to be in a constantly fed state. You're body feels much better fasted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, freak_of_nature said:

"Starvation Mode" does not exist unless you have no bodyfat. Kids in Africa are in starvation mode. We are not.

After doing the 3-4 hour eating window for awhile, I truly believe that we are not meant to be in a constantly fed state. You're body feels much better fasted.

Thank you. Now it is true that being on a deficit for an extended period can cause your metabolism to slow, but the "I eat so little I can't lose weight" nonsense is just BS. The thermogenic adaptation (IIRC that is the term) is not a massive plummet either but enough to slow weight loss noticeably. That is why guys like Shelby Starnes and Ken "Skip" Hill sometimes say you shouldn't diet for more than 16 weeks straight, and why they utilize re-feeds.

I prefer to eat through the day, though I don't claim it to be the "better" method at all. I eat 6 "meals" per day not counting Sunday. That is 4 real meals, a protein shake daily (completely for convenience - getting the cals in 30 seconds is just sweet after lifting or cardio) and a near midnight snack that usually consists of a salad or something without carbs. I skip carbs more at night because protein/fats keep me full through the night. They aren't massive meals but keeps me feeling damn good through the day rather than stuffing my face with 3 big meals.