Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

6 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

+1 on TrueNutrition if you need to supplement.  

Don’t underestimate blends either.  Whey/casein blend is the bees knees iyam.

I just get the WPI and casein seperately, working my way through flavors. I haven't tried the blends yet. 

The only thing I haven't liked is the beef protein. Texture was just horrible. Lol

Edited by Sugashane

On 9/19/2018 at 9:54 AM, Fl0nkerton said:

Gym noob here.

I've been lifting 3-4x a week since May for about an hour a day.

Ex: Monday - Chest / Tuesday - Abs + Legs / Wednesday -Off / Thursday - Bi's + Tri's / Friday - Back + Shoulders

I'm trying to gain weight; up to 165 from about 145 in December. Currently eating anything and everything high in protein for 3 meals a day.

I purchased Protein Powder (20g / scoop) and BCAAS (7g / scoop)

Should I look into buying any other supplements? I've considered mass gainer, but I'm not so good at chugging poor tasting protein shakes 3x a day lol.

Definitely get rid of the bis'/tri's day. Do more back + legs. Add bi's to the end of the back workout. Add tri's to the end of the chest workout

M: Chest/Abs/ TRI'S

T: Back/Legs/BI'S

W: OFF

R: Back/Shoulders/BI'S/TRI'S

F: Legs/Abs

1 hour ago, freak_of_nature said:

Definitely get rid of the bis'/tri's day. Do more back + legs. Add bi's to the end of the back workout. Add tri's to the end of the chest workout

So would you take Saturday and Sunday off as well?

On 9/19/2018 at 4:06 PM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

@Fl0nkerton As I mentioned earlier in the thread I have a buddy I grew up with who has a YouTube channel and will pimp his stuff whenever I can becaue I know he knows what he’s talking about and he uses a lot of evidence based research as well as personal experience.

He got me off the “bro splits” a while ago.  Luckily I had given up the absurd volume years ago, but this was still a step in the right direction.  Less aches and pains, solid results, etc.

Here’s a good video to start with if you’re interested.

Very cool dude. Lots of helpful stuff in here that I'll keep in mind. Thanks!

Congrats on the W last night, btw.

20 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

Gotcha, ok. So what Bi's and Tri's exercises do you recommend adding at the end?

7 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

Gotcha, ok. So what Bi's and Tri's exercises do you recommend adding at the end?

I'd do decline dumbbell triceps extension and cable pulldowns for tri's. The 2 biggest parts of your tri's are the long head and short (lateral) head. You want to hit both.

For Bi's, incline DB hammer curls, then either a standard BB curl or preacher curl. (or just try to curl the olympic bar as many times with short pauses until you'e completely fatigued.)

On 9/19/2018 at 3:06 PM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

@Fl0nkerton

Here’s a good video to start with if you’re interested.

This is pretty much exactly what I do. I picked out a set of exercises that I thought hit every major area, found the weight where I can do ~20 reps across 3 sets, and every time I go in I do one more rep than last time. Once the reps get pretty high I bump up a weight level.

I need my self control back. I used to be so good and then started up some bad habits again. Would love to drop the 25 pounds I've gained back since my initial weight loss. I don't think all of it was unhealthy weight gain and all of my clothes still fit but I'm sure they could fit better too. I blame it on having a better social life now. 

44 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

This is pretty much exactly what I do. I picked out a set of exercises that I thought hit every major area, found the weight where I can do ~20 reps across 3 sets, and every time I go in I do one more rep than last time. Once the reps get pretty high I bump up a weight level.

It’s a great way to do things.

Allows for consistent progression while minimizing injury risk.

16 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

I need my self control back. I used to be so good and then started up some bad habits again. Would love to drop the 25 pounds I've gained back since my initial weight loss. I don't think all of it was unhealthy weight gain and all of my clothes still fit but I'm sure they could fit better too. I blame it on having a better social life now. 

Just gotta find balance.

The way I do it is Sunday through Friday I eat right, exercise, etc.  Saturday is my day to drink some beers, eat some good food, etc. it works for me.

Just gotta find something that works for you.