Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

On 9/24/2018 at 8:12 PM, jonu62882 said:

What is the science/theory behind this?  And does it have the same window every time, e.g. 12-8 pm, 12-8 pm or can you do 12-8 pm one day, 10-6 pm, the next, and 2 - 10 pm the following?

Also, I did my testing today for situps and pushups.  It felt sad.

I did 20 pushups in 1 minute (1st set), 7 pushups in 1 minute (2nd set).  With situps, I did 5 (1st set) and a big fat ZERO the second set.  Man, that sounds pathetic.  I did a minute or so break in between sets and alternated between pushups and situps.   So, I guess this is my beginning baseline to see where I improve from.

On a side note, I just discovered cauliflower rice, and re-created Zoe Kitchen's Cauliflower Rice Bowl with Grilled Chicken.  It's flavorful, quick and easy to make, and super healthy/low carb.  The cauliflower rice is nice and has the texture of a grain like barley or quinoa.

Unfortunately, I also discovered this "bread" called P28 Protein Bread.  Holy hell, was that disgusting!  It has more protein than carbs, and is made from dish-washing sponges apparently.  It took me 10 minutes to chew each bite.  Looks I will have to continue my search for a suitable bread alternative.  Might have to experiment with making my own with almond flour or a cloudbread recipe.

On my 1.5 mile timed run, it took me 22 minutes or (14.5 minute pace).  I hit 175 bpm at one point.  Oh yeah, that was probably right before I stopped to throw up my guts.  Good thing I fasted, though.  HA, joke's on you digestive system!

I had to stop/slow down about every 1/3 of a mile.  I have very little endurance. I would just keep getting winded quickly.  But, I know it's just a first time baseline.  

I'm gonna bookmark these posts so I can come back every so often to measure against.  I feel sore, but good.

On a side note, I ran in a park on a trail near my house.  I was wearing one of those running armband things that hold the phone, and I also put my car key and airpod case in there.  When I finished running, I got back to the car and my key was gone.  It must have somehow slipped out, but my airpod case was still in there which is weird.  Had to wait 3 hours to get roadside assistance, and I am out $400-500 between a new key fob and the roadside expense.  That was fun...

On another side note, I had a doctor's appointment today, and I told the resident (who comes in before the doctor), and I told him about how I was wanting to do intermittent fasting.  He high-fived me.  He got so excited lol.

Edited by jonu62882
  • Like 1

On 9/24/2018 at 7:12 PM, jonu62882 said:

I did 20 pushups in 1 minute (1st set), 7 pushups in 1 minute (2nd set).  With situps, I did 5 (1st set) and a big fat ZERO the second set.  Man, that sounds pathetic.  I did a minute or so break in between sets

It sucks to see now but you're going to see massive improvement and that will be far more satisfying knowing where you started at.

We all know someone who hits a 300 bench in the first few months. It isn't a big accomplishment for them. Starting out at 115 and eventually hitting 300 is a far more satisfying ordeal.

12 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

It sucks to see now but you're going to see massive improvement and that will be far more satisfying knowing where you started at.

We all know someone who hits a 300 bench in the first few months. It isn't a big accomplishment for them. Starting out at 115 and eventually hitting 300 is a far more satisfying ordeal.

I'm ready for this journey, Sensei.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jonu62882 said:

On my 1.5 mile timed run, it took me 22 minutes or (14.5 minute pace).  I hit 175 bpm at one point.  Oh yeah, that was probably right before I stopped to throw up my guts.  Good thing I fasted, though.  HA, joke's on you digestive system!

Lol, we’ve all been there before.

I had to stop/slow down about every 1/3 of a mile.  I have very little endurance. I would just keep getting winded quickly.  But, I know it's just a first time baseline.  

Try doing a minute of running and 1 minute of walking.  Over time lengthen the running time and shorten the walking.

I'm gonna bookmark these posts so I can come back every so often to measure against.  I feel sore, but good.

On a side note, I ran in a park on a trail near my house.  I was wearing one of those running armband things that hold the phone, and I also put my car key and airpod case in there.  When I finished running, I got back to the car and my key was gone.  It must have somehow slipped out, but my airpod case was still in there which is weird.  Had to wait 3 hours to get roadside assistance, and I am out $400-500 between a new key fob and the roadside expense.  That was fun...

Fanny packs aren’t just uber stylish, they’re also great for this kind of stuff.

10 hours ago, jonu62882 said:

On another side note, I had a doctor's appointment today, and I told the resident (who comes in before the doctor), and I told him about how I was wanting to do intermittent fasting.  He high-fived me.  He got so excited lol.

If you don't have shorts with a zippered pocket or internal pocket, get some for this reason. Running shorts in particular will tend to have a rear zippered pocket or an open style pocket on the liner for keys. The interior pockets have the elastic band to prevent stuff from jostling out.

shorts-men-s-velocity-running-shorts-5_e

12 hours ago, skywlker32 said:

If you don't have shorts with a zippered pocket or internal pocket, get some for this reason. Running shorts in particular will tend to have a rear zippered pocket or an open style pocket on the liner for keys. The interior pockets have the elastic band to prevent stuff from jostling out.

shorts-men-s-velocity-running-shorts-5_e

I've never seen these.  If you use this instead of the armband and put a phone in there along with some other stuff, won't it get annoying with the items swimming around and banging against your body?

I'll also have check this out along with some of the things mentioned. 

So a lot of guys seem talk about drinking coffee first thing, why is the coffee so important?  Is it just for the extra energy kick or is there some other tangible benefit there?

Also, when you break the fast, does it matter what you break it with? 

Edited by jonu62882

17 minutes ago, jonu62882 said:

So a lot of guys seem talk about drinking coffee first thing, why is the coffee so important?  Is it just for the extra energy kick or is there some other tangible benefit there?

Also, when you break the fast, does it matter what you break it with? 

Most likely caffeine.

Break your fast with proteins and fats.  First thing you eat will influence your neurotransmitters for the day.

10 hours ago, jonu62882 said:

I've never seen these.  If you use this instead of the armband and put a phone in there along with some other stuff, won't it get annoying with the items swimming around and banging against your body?

I'll also have check this out along with some of the things mentioned. 

I personally only keep my keys in a pocket like that (don't run with a phone). This just prevents you having to put everything in an armband with your phone if you carry one. The keys don't really bother me though and the liner pockets typically has less movement for keys if that kind of thing would bother you.

On 9/27/2018 at 9:51 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Are you implying that it’s possible to function without coffee?

If so, you’re lying.

I've only ever had coffee once in my life and it was after a 26 hour day because I still had a few more hours to go. I didn't like it so I don't drink it.

However I have been known to kill some Rip Its, Red Bulls, Kickstarts, Bangs, and Rooster Boosters.