Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

48 minutes ago, jonu62882 said:

Okay, so now I am listening about this IF stuff from Thomas DeLauer...is he a legit source?

He puts pink Himalayan salt in his water (and someone said adding lime juice for electrolytes) to help with getting rid of toxins, so to speak.  Can you drink the salted water without breaking the fast?  Is that true?  Or would you just stick with regular water during the fasting period, and drinking the salted stuff during the allowed feeding window?

This IF stuff is really interesting...

https://www.strengthsensei.com/start-day-right-lime-salt/

He also says when fasting only do 3 days of out the week and the ideal fast is from 8am-4pm

1 minute ago, jonu62882 said:

Is it safe to do the cardio in a fasted state?  What if you feel weak in the morning?  Does that mean not you're eating enough during the feeding window?

Yeah it’s fine.

You’ll probably feel weak, you’re body is underfed compared to what it’s used to, but it’s fine. Slam a cup of coffee and get to working out, you’ll adapt.  I had a workout a few weeks ago 36 hours into a fast and it was great.

Just don’t go crazy man, this is all new and no matter how hard you try you aren’t going to lose this weight overnight. Make sure you’re establishing habits that can be maintained.

If you’re looking at this as a diet, you’ll inevitably gain the weight back.  It’s about permanent, sustainable habits, not kicking your arse in the gym till you puke and starving yourself.

Either way, you should feel good about everything you’ve already accomplished, many folks never even bother to get off the couch. Keep at it and we’ll be here for encouragement and help. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah it’s fine.

You’ll probably feel weak, you’re body is underfed compared to what it’s used to, but it’s fine. Slam a cup of coffee and get to working out, you’ll adapt.  I had a workout a few weeks ago 36 hours into a fast and it was great.

Just don’t go crazy man, this is all new and no matter how hard you try you aren’t going to lose this weight overnight. Make sure you’re establishing habits that can be maintained.

If you’re looking at this as a diet, you’ll inevitably gain the weight back.  It’s about permanent, sustainable habits, not kicking your arse in the gym till you puke and starving yourself.

Either way, you should feel good about everything you’ve already accomplished, many folks never even bother to get off the couch. Keep at it and we’ll be here for encouragement and help. 

No, I am actually interested in studying the theory and science behind this stuff.  I want to change my lifestyle like you said that in a way that it can be sustainable and permanent.  I am watching videos, reading, and studying all research that I can get my hands on to really understand what is most beneficial and why I should be doing it.  I know there's no quick solution to all of this but I am fully committed to adopting a healthier lifestyle. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Technically speaking you broke your fast at this point. Even if the caloric content is negligible, there are bio-available constituents that kick-start digestive processes.

Eh, technically true, but in practice it’s not hurting anything tbh.

I’d imagine the benefits of a well “fueled” workout outweigh breaking a fast a bit early.

• Like 1

Weighed in at 168.8 last night. Goal is to get to 175 by the end of October.
Gonna be tough to break 170 I think. I need to find a way to get more cals in.

Daily Meal Example:
(Per MyFitnessPal)

Breakfast:
Scrambled Egg and bacon burrito - 
300 Cals / 12g Protein

Mid-Morning Shake-
104 Cals / 25g Protein

Lunch:
Grilled Turkey Burger, Whole Grain Bun, Cheese Slice, Pasta Salad-
726 Cals / 40g Protein

Snack:
Protein Bar-
200 Cals / 21g Protein

Post Workout Shake:
104 Cals / 25g Protein

Dinner:
(I do steak 2-3x a week. Switch that with Chicken Breast on other days)
NY Strip, Parmesan Garlic Potatoes-
1,118 Cals / 52 g Protein

I probably drink 50 oz of water at work during the day.

Any tweaks or suggestions?

1 minute ago, Fl0nkerton said:

Weighed in at 168.8 last night. Goal is to get to 175 by the end of October.
Gonna be tough to break 170 I think. I need to find a way to get more cals in.

Daily Meal Example:
(Per MyFitnessPal)

Breakfast:
Scrambled Egg and bacon burrito - 
300 Cals / 12g Protein

Mid-Morning Shake-
104 Cals / 25g Protein

Lunch:
Grilled Turkey Burger, Whole Grain Bun, Cheese Slice, Pasta Salad-
726 Cals / 40g Protein

Snack:
Protein Bar-
200 Cals / 21g Protein

Post Workout Shake:
104 Cals / 25g Protein

Dinner:
(I do steak 2-3x a week. Switch that with Chicken Breast on other days)
NY Strip, Parmesan Garlic Potatoes-
1,118 Cals / 52 g Protein

I probably drink 50 oz of water at work during the day.

Any tweaks or suggestions?

Eat more real food and less supplements.

3 shakes in a day is a Muscle and Fitness advertisement schedule tbh.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Eat more real food and less supplements.

3 shakes in a day is a Muscle and Fitness advertisement schedule tbh.

Ah, yeah I think I'm not so good at the whole "eating a ton" aspect which I think is why I've been thin my whole life.

3 square meals + Shakes and a Protein Bar a day is the most I've eaten ever. By a long shot haha.

Just now, Fl0nkerton said:

Ah, yeah I think I'm not so good at the whole "eating a ton" aspect which I think is why I've been thin my whole life.

3 square meals + Shakes and a Protein Bar a day is the most I've eaten ever. By a long shot haha.

It’s not all volume, but caloric density.

Fat is 9 cal/gram where as carbs and proteins are 4 cal/gram.

A handful of nuts, a few scoops of peanut/almond butter, a couple tablespoons of olive oil, boiled eggs, avocados, etc throughout the day add a ton of calories.

You don’t need over a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight, it’s outdated info.  Most suggest 0.6-0.8 gm/lb.

More fat, less protein means more calories for the same volume of food.

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It’s not all volume, but caloric density.

Fat is 9 cal/gram where as carbs and proteins are 4 cal/gram.

A handful of nuts, a few scoops of peanut/almond butter, a couple tablespoons of olive oil, boiled eggs, avocados, etc throughout the day add a ton of calories.

You don’t need over a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight, it’s outdated info.  Most suggest 0.6-0.8 gm/lb.

More fat, less protein means more calories for the same volume of food.

Agree with this.  Nuts and sunflower seeds are a good source of high density calories, good fats and protein.  

Eat a evening snack...something 1-2 hours before bedtime.  If you are just looking to gain weight, eating when you don't need to is helpful.  

2 HUGE PRO TIPS:

1) If you really want to build some muscle, take a peptide protein supplement post workout. For me, the basic protein shake is DEAD. Just 3-5 Tbs in a sportsdrink or juice.Here's a good one:

https://www.amazon.com/Protein-Factory-PeptoPro-Hydrolyzed-Casein/dp/B00KABGX8W/ref=pd_ybh_a_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=FD1S7NMRFHPPW038XXG1

2) Buy ankle straps and do standing leg extensions with the stack. It hits the rectus femoris, which isn't worked that well with the squat or seated leg extention. This changed my quads:

https://www.t-nation.com/training/tip-dump-the-seated-leg-extension-do-this-instead

Edited by freak_of_nature

8 hours ago, Fl0nkerton said:

Add a tablespoon of EVOO to either shakes or on top of food. You get about 120 cals, healthy fats, omega-3s, etc  and it is easy to down. 4 in a day is about 500 cals.

Just don't add a lot to anything. You'll find yourself seatbelted to the toilet.