Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:14 AM, pollino14 said:

Word to the wise; just because you don’t have “ official certification” doesn’t mean you don’t know how to do something or you wouldn’t do something at a quality level. In many cases it’s just a formality, don’t know why I have to explain that; and if you look in your own life, I’m sure you’ll find people who do something well without a certification and someone who isn’t so good with one. There’s more to things than just earning a piece of paper.

I wasn't saying anything poorly about you, I was giving you my experience, no need to get offended.  But when it comes to someone's health/life you should be qualified.  There's a lot more than 3 sets of 10 and burpees until you puke.

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:02 PM, kingseanjohn said:

I'm currently having some neck issues and a physical therapist told me that my upper back is (I can't remember verbatim) un-proportional to my lower. It was suggested that I focus on my lower back and it might help some. This won't fix my issue but it could assist.

So, other than doing low rows, what do you all suggest for exercises? The ones that were suggested by the physical therapist, which I'll follow, were all low/body weight exercises. I asked about weight lifting and they said it shouldn't be an issue. On top of that, should I stop upper back work or just not go up in weight? Thoughts?

Where do you live? 

Tell him to check your scalenes, subclavius, coracobrachialis and pec minor.  You need to work on rotator cuff, face pulls, trap 3 raises and posterior delt.  And get soft tissue work on your upper traps, levator scap and the aforementioned muscles.  If you live in NY or near any of my buddies I'll have you fixed.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Where do you live? 

Tell him to check your scalenes, subclavius, coracobrachialis and pec minor.  You need to work on rotator cuff, face pulls, trap 3 raises and posterior delt.  And get soft tissue work on your upper traps, levator scap and the aforementioned muscles.  If you live in NY or near any of my buddies I'll have you fixed.

I appreciate the offer but I live in the midwest. I have a few friends that are into competitions, I may ask one of them for some help.

Any recommendations on a weightlifting belt?  Messed up my back a bit after the last squats/deadlifting day.  Definitely will be more careful with my form going forward, but figured it would make sense to invest in a weightlifting belt.  Anything I should know before purchasing one?  Buy a slightly larger or smaller size than needed? Any types/brands to avoid?

1 hour ago, TheVillain112 said:

Any recommendations on a weightlifting belt?  Messed up my back a bit after the last squats/deadlifting day.  Definitely will be more careful with my form going forward, but figured it would make sense to invest in a weightlifting belt.  Anything I should know before purchasing one?  Buy a slightly larger or smaller size than needed? Any types/brands to avoid?

Pay attention to the thickness and if it is said to be "pre-broken in" or the like. I have a 13 mm lever belt from EliteFTS, and it was damn stiff. I got bruises for a month or two when I used in on ME squat and deadlift days. Not complaining, I knew it was going to suck at first but now it has been broken in and I will likely never have to buy another.

I don't know a lot about the brands, but mine is fantastic, but expensive. Approx $130. I don't recommend skimping if you are serious about lifting.

Inzer, Metal, Schiek, and Toro I have seen in my gyms with a fair bit of regularity and have a long standing reputation. STrong (Mark Bell's company) seems to be a good one but I don't think I have seen one in person.

Some advice - go either single prong or level - not double prong

No velcro belts. Just not durable enough to trust IMO.

Same width all the way around, not the ones that are narrow in front and wide in the back. Just a garbage design. About 10cm is generally a good choice.

Thicker is generally better, but will take longer to break in. If you aren't competing, no reason to really go above 10mm thickness.

They should brag about the leather quality, if not then you're probably getting something pretty low quality. If they don't say "top grain leather" then it probably is cheaper material. Anything close to $100 that isn't top grain and you're getting robbed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Pay attention to the thickness and if it is said to be "pre-broken in" or the like. I have a 13 mm lever belt from EliteFTS, and it was damn stiff. I got bruises for a month or two when I used in on ME squat and deadlift days. Not complaining, I knew it was going to suck at first but now it has been broken in and I will likely never have to buy another.

I don't know a lot about the brands, but mine is fantastic, but expensive. Approx $130. I don't recommend skimping if you are serious about lifting.

Inzer, Metal, Schiek, and Toro I have seen in my gyms with a fair bit of regularity and have a long standing reputation. STrong (Mark Bell's company) seems to be a good one but I don't think I have seen one in person.

Some advice - go either single prong or level - not double prong

No velcro belts. Just not durable enough to trust IMO.

Same width all the way around, not the ones that are narrow in front and wide in the back. Just a garbage design. About 10cm is generally a good choice.

Thicker is generally better, but will take longer to break in. If you aren't competing, no reason to really go above 10mm thickness.

They should brag about the leather quality, if not then you're probably getting something pretty low quality. If they don't say "top grain leather" then it probably is cheaper material. Anything close to $100 that isn't top grain and you're getting robbed.

Appreciate the advice. I'm not looking to compete or anything, just trying not to mess up my lower back. TBH I'm really not even squating or deadlifting that much so I do think I'll look a bit of a fool with the belt on.  Don't really care tho if it protects me from a back injury...

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

Appreciate the advice. I'm not looking to compete or anything, just trying not to mess up my lower back. TBH I'm really not even squating or deadlifting that much so I do think I'll look a bit of a fool with the belt on.  Don't really care tho if it protects me from a back injury...

I wear mine a lot, and I actually wear it really high during deadlifts. Saw George Leeman do tha years ago, tried it, and never looked back. 

Don't worry about what anyone says, if I feel the slightest twinge then I wouldn't risk it. Better to look like a fool then act like one and get hurt. One day of backing off the intensity is way better than 10 weeks of recovery. I was probably 27 or 28 before that finally got through to me. Lol.

That is one reason not to get a belt with a curve. Belts work best by giving support all around the core, with the belts that are narrow in the front don't offer any support for your abs.  Thay makes them really inefficient. I'd look around at reviews on Amazon and a few other sites to see what you could find. Since you're not competing you shouldn't need one thay is over $100, but if you can you won't regret it I bet. Wife bought me mine for a birthday present, didn't know what she was doing but remembered seeing me read a ton of articles on eliteFTS and saw they had a shop. Lol