Fans of Playoff Teams

joru1000

1 hour ago, mcmurtry86 said:

It seems like most fans think this will be a close game or are predicting an Eagles win. Same in the media.

Is the "omg u say eagles have no shot lol we will show u!" stuff just a figment of overactive Philadelphia imaginations? I don't get it. Almost every Pats fan I know or have read says they expect a close win or a loss. Everyone acknowledges how talented the Eagles are.

Or you can use context, look up and see that the guy they were replying to literally just said this:

Is there where you guys realize there's no shot at beating the Pats and you say you're just grateful to be here because of injuries and blah blah blah and if Wentz wasn't hurt we would have blah blah ?

You think you're beating the Pats in the superbowl? I mean, every DOG has his day, but that's a tall task for anyone.

6 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Or you can use context, look up and see that the guy they were replying to literally just said this:

Or you could use context and realize that the loudest Philly fans saying "we get no respect!" are saying things like "nobody thinks we'll win"

Eagles fans aren't saying "a few idiots are predicting a blow out" because those idiots exist every season regardless of who is in the Super Bowl. The whole disrespect "count us out" stuff is ridiculous. Nobody wanted to bet on Foles because he looked bad in the regular season and hasn't looked good for years. Now that he looks good, people understand this will likely be a close game or a decisive Eagles win. A few Philly haters or Pats homers might predict a blowout but nobody rational is disrespecting the Eagles.

Go look around the forums here. The prevailing sentiment among Philly fans is that everyone is already assuming the Pats are going to win. It's humorous more than anything. The Eagles are the better overall team and a terrible matchup for the Pats but Eagles fans are trying to talk it up like you're double digit underdogs.

27 minutes ago, mcmurtry86 said:

Or you could use context and realize that the loudest Philly fans saying "we get no respect!" are saying things like "nobody thinks we'll win"

Eagles fans aren't saying "a few idiots are predicting a blow out" because those idiots exist every season regardless of who is in the Super Bowl. The whole disrespect "count us out" stuff is ridiculous. Nobody wanted to bet on Foles because he looked bad in the regular season and hasn't looked good for years. Now that he looks good, people understand this will likely be a close game or a decisive Eagles win. A few Philly haters or Pats homers might predict a blowout but nobody rational is disrespecting the Eagles.

Then why not bring up this topic when it is justified? I haven't seen what you are discussing at all, but a guy literally said the Eagles have no shot in this game, and Eagles fans responded to him and you then you bring up this pointless narrative.

Go look around the forums here. The prevailing sentiment among Philly fans is that everyone is already assuming the Pats are going to win.

I have looked around the forum, most people think the Pats are going to win. The media hasn't predicted the game yet, but I am sure they will predict the Pats are going to win as well. That is fine, they have Brady, we have Foles. The Pats are current 5.5 point favorites for a reason.

1 hour ago, mcmurtry86 said:

Go look around the forums here. The prevailing sentiment among Philly fans is that everyone is already assuming the Pats are going to win. It's humorous more than anything. The Eagles are the better overall team and a terrible matchup for the Pats but Eagles fans are trying to talk it up like you're double digit underdogs.

We're not double-digit underdogs, but we still have the largest spread against us for a team playing in the SB since almost 10 years ago so yeah.  Most people will think it's Patriots with BB and Tom Brady and that they're gonna win 'cause that's what their track record says usually happens.

I don't give 2 Smitts what chances Vegas or People give the Eagles. If any of that mattered, they would never of gotten the #1 seed. Beat the Falcons or destroyed the Vikings.

Being underdogs or the Patriots being heavily favored is to be expected. Eagles are 4-1 under Foles and giving up 8pts a gm on Defense over the last 4.

But since they haven't faced anyone good (sure that's coming), I'm guessing it won't matter unless the same occurs Against a Tom Brady Offense?

The Disrespect card is real

The Underdog card is real

Whether that helps the Eagles win a SB remains to be seen but don't underestimate motivation in any form. They've been living by it all Season Long. I'm sure as hell not going to rock the boat!!

13 hours ago, jonu62882 said:

For those who would still say we haven't beaten anyone. 

Think about this:  we've beaten all the other NFC Playoff teams (whether through playoffs or regular season) minus the Saints 'cause they're the only one we haven't played.

You guys did and that's great. But you're playing the greatest coach of all time, the greatest QB of all time, and the two times they were beaten in the superbowl it required 2 of the greatest catches in superbowl history. Very admirable the way your defense has played and how foles played last game, but outside of diehard philly homers, this is a no brainer. (but ATL and Minn were no brainers blah blah blah)

4 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

You guys did and that's great. But you're playing the greatest coach of all time, the greatest QB of all time, and the two times they were beaten in the superbowl it required 2 of the greatest catches in superbowl history. Very admirable the way your defense has played and how foles played last game, but outside of diehard philly homers, this is a no brainer. (but ATL and Minn were no brainers blah blah blah)

Tom Brady is also 40 years old and hasn't looked like Tom Brady all season. This NE team is not nearly as talented as they have been in the past. They coasted through a weak AFC which explains why they are in the SB to begin with. If they played in the NFC, they wouldn't be here with this team. 

14 minutes ago, eagles18 said:

Tom Brady is also 40 years old and hasn't looked like Tom Brady all season. This NE team is not nearly as talented as they have been in the past. They coasted through a weak AFC which explains why they are in the SB to begin with. If they played in the NFC, they wouldn't be here with this team. 

Tom Brady is going to win the MVP this year and put up one of his top career performances last week against the best D in the league with no Gronk or Edelman wtf are you talking about dude? Oh and he also had no running game last week either lol

1 hour ago, BStanRamFan said:

Tom Brady is going to win the MVP this year and put up one of his top career performances last week against the best D in the league with no Gronk or Edelman wtf are you talking about dude? Oh and he also had no running game last week either lol

Umm he barely beat Blake Bortles and would've lost if not for a few questionable penalties. Also, the Vikings had the best d in the league and Nick Foles ran a train on them. So that's "wtf" i'm talking about dude. 

http://www.nfl.com/stats/team?seasonId=2017&seasonType=REG&Submit=Go

24 minutes ago, eagles18 said:

Umm he barely beat Blake Bortles and would've lost if not for a few questionable penalties. Also, the Vikings had the best d in the league and Nick Foles ran a train on them. So that's "wtf" i'm talking about dude. 

http://www.nfl.com/stats/team?seasonId=2017&seasonType=REG&Submit=Go

The penalties I will actually agree with you on. But turnovers and a running game   are what kept Jax in that game and poor play calling/NE's defense are what brought them back in it . Tom Brady was nothing short of perfect in the 2nd half and again, this year he is the MVP. Brady has not declined and there is no reason to think he will  show his age all of a sudden in the next 2 weeks. Minn has best passing defense based on ypg, Jax had it rushing ypg. I think it is personal preference, but i would say  Jax was better. Just personal opinion. Look I get it, youre an Eagles fan playing the role of underdog and coming off a huge, unexpected win . It's hard to tell someone to think pragmatically in that type of situation so i can't blame you, but its Tom Brady and BB in the superbowl. You think Nick FOles will duplicate his performance? He was dropping some dimes last week, but he was also connecting on WIDE OPEN passes from blown coverage. Those opportunities do not happen against a BB coached team.

My concern is and always will be The GoaT.

You can thoroughly outplay his team, but he could still beat you if you make some mistakes or settle for FGs or he just goes nuts.

Gronk is another Patriot who is the best of all time at his position.

I have almost zero concern about Foles though:

First the facts 

http://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/philadelphia-eagles/it-looks-nick-foles-wont-play-vs-jets-will-miss-entire-preseason

http://nflweather.com/en/team/Eagles

• Foles missed the entire preseason with a sore elbow.
  • He then had to take over from backup reps to the starter on December 10th to prepare for wining 2 of the last 3 games to lock home field advantage.
  • NFL teams are severely limited in practice reps due to the latest CBA.
  • Foles had played with Ertz , Celek, and Kelce in 2013/2014, but any chemistry with anyone else would likely be very limited at least to start.
  • He had to play back to back games below or very near freezing while still working on chemistry and being the starter.
  • He won both of these games, although the second game was not pretty.
  • He played a few series in a week 17 game that meant nothing to the Eagles.

Now some fact based conjecture:

• The odds of a detailed game plan to effectively attack the Raiders were very low (why bother? why show it on film?), as well as the conditions, and his being the starter for all of 14 days may have been contributing factors.
  • Did Carr's even worse game give you any indication that the weather may have been a factor for both QBs?
  • The week 17 game was like a scrimmage (even with that, there was a drop, a slip, and a screen pass called back on a hold)
  • Dak Prescott scored 6 points all day in a full game
  • Nate Sudfeld did have a high completion % on dink and dunk, but he never got a sniff of the red zone in a shutout.
  • 4 of 11 looked awful but 7 of 12 would not have been a big deal (or at least a much smaller big deal if that makes sense)
  • Is it at least possible that Foles, as any other QB, required some time to get comfortable as the starter?
  • I suggest you look at Keenum's first 3 starts as a Viking to see a very similar progression. ( a 100+ game(Tampa), and 2 stinkers(PIT and Detroit))

On to the Playoffs and lots of people losing lots of money because they are smarter than me and know how bad Foles really is.

Foles then had to play a playoff game against a highly ranked D in bad conditions. He performed well (sure, he got lucky on 1 missed interception)

• If I put the over under on missed interceptions in the NFL this year, would you think 420 in 256 games would be a decent guess? (more than 1 a game but less than 2)
  • Do we define Foles game by the playoff win and his stats, or just pretend the missed interception means the whole thing was luck?
  • Does Ryan's offense scoring 7 points on an 18 yard drive and 3 points the rest of the day lead you to believe it may have been a hard day for QBs in that cold and wind?
  • Is it possible that Foles deserves extra credit for his efficiency given the conditions and the opponent?
  • Did that same D shut down the mighty Rams offense in perfect weather the week before? (although the field was a mess)

Here comes Keenum to end the Eagles season

• Foles pretty much had a perfect game on Sunday in the NFCCG.
  • His first series included a 50 yard pass that hit Torrey Smith in the hands (he dropped it)
  • His second pass was close to perfect about 20 yards or so to the sideline but for some odd reason, Burton jumped and one foot landed out of bounds.
  • He went 26-33 for 352 yards and 3 TDs the rest of the way.
  • A QB who is often criticized for lack of mobility released his passes from many different points behind the line of scrimmage as he was on the move often to buy time against a very good defense (they were in fact ranked 1/1 and had 
  • I would love to see a spray chart with the launch points of all 33 passes.

What about the QB described above makes you think he is a bad QB who is likely to play poorly in the Super Bowl?

• The Patriots were middle of the pack in QB rating against at 89.5. The Falcons were a bit worse at 91.9. The Vikings were 3rd at 73.0
  • Bortles had a 98.5 rating on Sunday 
  • Mariota had a 98.3 rating in the Divisional Round

The only counterpoint to this has something to do with the genius of Jeff Fisher and Chip Kelly.  Oh yeah, and peoples feelings about Foles because the media says he is BAD!

This is the most bizarre lead up to a Super Bowl ever.

On one hand I am trying to explain that the #1 completion % and passer rating playoff QB in NFL history is not actually a bad QB to all the non-Eagles fans. 

The guy who also had a 119 passer rating season? Just a fluke. This guy seems to fluke all over the place.

I hope he flukes in Minnesota!

On the other hand I am trying to explain to 15% of the Eagles fans who are insisting that a debunked myth about the Rams SB walk through being taped means that the Eagles walk through in 2004 was without a doubt filmed and the reason for the Eagles SB loss.

it obviously had nothing to do with

• the Eagles being -3 in turnovers 
  • punting 29 yards from their own 12
  • taking 4 minutes to score a TD while down 10 with about 5:50 to play
  • an onside kick with 1:55 to play and 2 Eagles timeouts left so the Eagles got the ball at their 4 instead of their 40)

Lets just yell about cheating for 2 weeks because that's not pathetic!

9 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

On one hand I am trying to explain that the #1 completion % and passer rating playoff QB in NFL history is not actually a bad QB to all the non-Eagles fans. 

The guy who also had a 119 passer rating season? Just a fluke. This guy seems to fluke all over the place.

Maybe fluke isn’t the right word, but how else do you explain his ups and downs? He has really high ups, but he also has disastrous downs.

Archived