Patriots - End of an Era?

Nick_gb

Just now, Sasquatch said:

Hey Pugger, how do we “like” a post in this forum?  I don’t see that option.  Thanks.

In the lower right hand corner of each post there is a little football.  Click on that if you like a person's post.

7 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

@Pugger I don’t have that ability - there’s no football icon.  Do I need to log a certain number of posts to get that privilege or something?

I believe it’s not available to new posters right away. Give it a week or two and it should show up. 

Comparing Brady/Jimmy to the Favre/Rodgers situation is a bit of revisionist history tbh. 

Favre was good his last year in GB but the two years before that he threw 38 TD and 47 INT with sub-75 passer ratings both years.  He hadn't been to the Super Bowl in a decade plus.  He was not considered one of the 2-3 best QBs in the league anymore on the same level as Peyton, Brady, and Brees.  Before 2007-08 there were a lot of reasons to think you guys were getting ready to move on to Rodgers, and that year looked more like one last hurrah from a guy who knew he was retiring than anything else. 

That's a lot different than a QB who has, since the start of 2015, won two Super Bowls, thrown 96 TD and 17 INT, and is about to win another MVP.  

Moving on from Favre was the right option, trading Brady was never an option.  A thousand people would've burned Gillette to the ground and Charlie Baker would've had a pardon ready for them the next morning, not to mention a gold medal. 

10 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Comparing Brady/Jimmy to the Favre/Rodgers situation is a bit of revisionist history tbh. 

Moving on from Favre was the right option, trading Brady was never an option.  A thousand people would've burned Gillette to the ground and Charlie Baker would've had a pardon ready for them the next morning, not to mention a gold medal. 

GMs (and head coaches) get paid the multi million salaries to make the tough decisions. It was time to keep the hot young QB, rather than go with one who is 41 before next season starts.

New England had a chance to have managed another dynasty like Favre to Rodgers, or Montana to Young - not so likely now.

Brady might collapse next season or he might just last to the one after, but he will fall and it might be a very steep fall indeed. Given how hard it is to get franchise QB, the Pats could be doomed to sink back to the pit of awfulness they climbed up out of, all those years ago. Of course all this depends on whether Clark Kent (Jimmy G) can continue to be Superman for the 49ers, but it looks promising there. 

20 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Favre was good his last year in GB but the two years before that he threw 38 TD and 47 INT with sub-75 passer ratings both years.  He hadn't been to the Super Bowl in a decade plus.  He was not considered one of the 2-3 best QBs in the league anymore on the same level as Peyton, Brady, and Brees.  Before 2007-08 there were a lot of reasons to think you guys were getting ready to move on to Rodgers, and that year looked more like one last hurrah from a guy who knew he was retiring than anything else. 

That's a lot different than a QB who has, since the start of 2015, won two Super Bowls, thrown 96 TD and 17 INT, and is about to win another MVP.  

But had Favre not "retired" after the 2007 season he would have been the Packers' starter, don't you think?  Then what would have happened to Rodgers?  

2 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

New England had a chance to have managed another dynasty like Favre to Rodgers, or Montana to Young - not so likely now.

Montana to Young is another wildly different situation that I keep seeing.  Steve Young had just won an NFL MVP award and almost led the 49ers to the Super Bowl, and Montana hadn't played in two years when they decided to make that trade. 

If this were a 2008 situation and Brady had missed all of last year and Jimmy won the MVP, then that's a completely different story.  But we're talking about dumping arguably the sports best player, who had shown no signs of decline whatsoever, in the middle of a championship run, to roll the dice on a guy with two career starts.  That's crazy. 

Why is it more important to take a risk on being competitive in 4-5 years rather than going for a Super Bowl now, when you know you have a team and quarterback that's capable of winning it?  We wont be having this conversation in a month if Brady wins number six and announces he's coming back.

39 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Why is it more important to take a risk on being competitive in 4-5 years rather than going for a Super Bowl now, when you know you have a team and quarterback that's capable of winning it?  We wont be having this conversation in a month if Brady wins number six and announces he's coming back.

I would have this conversation whether or not Brady hoists another Lombardi. At the start of next season Garoppolo will still be 26. Brady will be 41 - 15 year difference. Also you talk about being competitive for another 4-5 years (I'm guessing this is your projected lifetime of Garoppolo), you don't give him long, considering you seem happy to go forward with a  41 year old (before next season).. You think keeping Brady isn't a huge risk at his age, even next year. In my opinion, you are making a mistake in projecting Brady forward on what he has been, rather than what is likely to be.

I will admit that I have not read the ESPN article on the Brady/Belicheck/Kraft supposed rift.  Whether it is true or not is really anyone's guess at this point.   I will say, that the concept of teams and organizations have significant success and that the success is somewhat involved in the destruction of said team/organization.  It actually happens quite often in many of the pro sports for a variety of reasons.

Lombardi era GB Packers --  Lombardi wanted more control, it was not granted and that led to his departure

Jimmy Johnson era Dallas Cowboys -- Jerry Jones grew envious of the credit and notoriety that Jimmy Johnson was getting after 2 super bowl titles, moved on to Barry Switzer.  Switzer won another super bowl, but the spiral and mediocrity since has been fantastic

Chicago Bulls -- Jerry Reinsdorf vs Phil Jackson   Could not coexist the Bulls are never the same

LA Lakers --  Kobe - Shaq - Phil Jackson    More of a Kobe and Shaq could not deal with the other getting more attention, LA decides to keep Kobe and I leads to Shaq departing and LA struggling for a few years

As much as it is imperative for teams to bond and work together to attain success, their is also this dynamic that athletes/coaches/general managers are often alpha types that can often have a difficult time co-existing for a long time.   This can be heightened when 1 of those within the group gets more of the credit for the ultimate success.

10 hours ago, squire12 said:

I will admit that I have not read the ESPN article on the Brady/Belicheck/Kraft supposed rift.  Whether it is true or not is really anyone's guess at this point.   I will say, that the concept of teams and organizations have significant success and that the success is somewhat involved in the destruction of said team/organization.  It actually happens quite often in many of the pro sports for a variety of reasons.

Lombardi era GB Packers --  Lombardi wanted more control, it was not granted and that led to his departure

Jimmy Johnson era Dallas Cowboys -- Jerry Jones grew envious of the credit and notoriety that Jimmy Johnson was getting after 2 super bowl titles, moved on to Barry Switzer.  Switzer won another super bowl, but the spiral and mediocrity since has been fantastic

Chicago Bulls -- Jerry Reinsdorf vs Phil Jackson   Could not coexist the Bulls are never the same

LA Lakers --  Kobe - Shaq - Phil Jackson    More of a Kobe and Shaq could not deal with the other getting more attention, LA decides to keep Kobe and I leads to Shaq departing and LA struggling for a few years

As much as it is imperative for teams to bond and work together to attain success, their is also this dynamic that athletes/coaches/general managers are often alpha types that can often have a difficult time co-existing for a long time.   This can be heightened when 1 of those within the group gets more of the credit for the ultimate success.

Seems to me Lombardi was GM only the year before he left. He gave up coaching, because doing both was too demanding. He had been HC and GM. He left because he wanted to get back into coaching, but the Packers (rightfully so) decided doing both jobs was too much. So Lombardi "demoted" himself by leaving his GM position in Green Bay and became the HC in Washington. Was he given the GM in Washington? Does anyone remember? Tragically he died soon after going to Washington of very aggressive cancer. Lombardi may have been the greatest coach ever in any sport. He didn't coach football. He coached life, and then he made his players apply the life lessons to football.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Seems to me Lombardi was GM only the year before he left. He gave up coaching, because doing both was too demanding. He had been HC and GM. He left because he wanted to get back into coaching, but the Packers (rightfully so) decided doing both jobs was too much. So Lombardi "demoted" himself by leaving his GM position in Green Bay and became the HC in Washington. Was he given the GM in Washington? Does anyone remember? Tragically he died soon after going to Washington of very aggressive cancer. Lombardi may have been the greatest coach ever in any sport. He didn't coach football. He coached life, and then he made his players apply the life lessons to football.

He was made partial owner in Washington, something that couldn't happen in Green Bay.

Archived