Joe Philbin to return to Green Bay

CWood21

5 minutes ago, cannondale said:

From what I've read - Philbin has pebble in the water effects. Even outside his job description, there are a lot of little things that he says and does that resonate with a lot of guys

If this is in reference to the 2011 roster, the only offensive holdovers from that roster Rodgers, Bulaga, Nelson and Cobb.

I am not really seeing the value in bringing Philbin back.  Feels like a recycle of the past.   Hope I am wrong on that and Philbin can bring in some new ideas, be enough of a voice in MM and Rodgers to adjust some of the stale offensive philosophies.  

Just now, squire12 said:

If this is in reference to the 2011 roster, the only offensive holdovers from that roster Rodgers, Bulaga, Nelson and Cobb.

I am not really seeing the value in bringing Philbin back.  Feels like a recycle of the past.   Hope I am wrong on that and Philbin can bring in some new ideas, be enough of a voice in MM and Rodgers to adjust some of the stale offensive philosophies.  

Philbin was a positive voice for us in the past. He left for a promotion. I'm happy to have him back tbh

1 minute ago, JBURGE25 said:

Philbin was a positive voice for us in the past. He left for a promotion. I'm happy to have him back tbh

That is fair.   I just see it as being 6+ years ago and the roster has turned over, the players still there have changed.   Will he carry the same amount of influence is an unknown.  

5 minutes ago, squire12 said:

That is fair.   I just see it as being 6+ years ago and the roster has turned over, the players still there have changed.   Will he carry the same amount of influence is an unknown.  

well, he earned it in the first place - no reason he can't again either ;)

3 hours ago, squire12 said:

Morgan Burnett and Mason Crosby were also on the 2011 roster.  

7 hours ago, Pugger said:

Morgan Burnett and Mason Crosby were also on the 2011 roster.  

Burnett is a FA.  Crosby probably had very little interaction in coaching instruction, or influence from the OC Philbin.

Brett Goode was also on that roster...another FA

I completely understand MM bringing back Philbin. Philbin checks off a lot of boxes. Good working relationship with MM, check. Past success as OC, check. Understands Packers' offense, check. Knows how to use Rodger's skill set, check. Now all he needs is a serious upgrade of WR's. One or both of Paul Robinson and Sammy Watkins would make me happy. (A WR corps looking something like: Adams, Robinson, Watkins, Cobb, Yancey, Janis).

5 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I might be the one with reading comprehension.  I missed the word offense.  :$

Nothing to worry about.  I looked at the full roster.  There were defensive players, but those players are not closely involved with the offensive staff much.

4 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

So the team is more or less replacing Bennett with Philbin on the coaching staff.  I don't see Philbin as any kind of genius, but replacing Bennett with Philbin seems like a clear win to me.

Yup. Conceptually...the teams retooling...not rebuilding and I think Philbin's a better tool to have available in our tool box - at least at OC IMO over Bennett. Not a dig towards Edgar, but I never made the connection how he enhanced the team at that position. I'm more confident (and hopeful) Philbin will - which is a win IMO.

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

I might be the one with reading comprehension.  I missed the word offense.  :$

I read it as you were just listing additional guys on the 11 roster showing who also had been here during that time frame. 

Missed a few guys though. ;)

Just didn’t like the snarky put down attempt was all. 

1 hour ago, dcerb44 said:

I read it as you were just listing additional guys on the 11 roster showing who also had been here during that time frame. 

Missed a few guys though. ;)

Just didn’t like the snarky put down attempt was all. 

"Reading comprehension" back at ya. Doh!!! 

Archived