Packers to hire former OC Joe Philbin

marky mark

McCarthy is still restructuring his staff and redefining roles, but Philbin is expected to take on many of the offensive coordinator duties regardless of what his actual title will be. McCarthy will continue calling plays for the offense.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21984488/former-green-bay-packers-offensive-coordinator-joe-philbin-expected-rejoin-mike-mccarthy-staff

Philbin coordinated the seasons where Favre had his resurgence and Rodgers had not only the best season of his career, but one of the best seasons in NFL history. Not to mention, the SB season which saw some dominant performances late in the year.

The cupboards are more bare now on the boundaries than his last stint here, but adding someone of his caliber back to the staff is a net positive for sure.

Just now, incognito_man said:

MM has always been the playcaller except for the beginning of 2015.

Ah, gotchya.

Just wondering if maybe he maybe was part of that back then. Should be a good hire.

Hiring ex-head coaches seems to usually work decently well, at least for the Vikings so far.

As much as anything, I think this is to get someone else on the staff who has worked with Rodgers in the past, and should be able to work well with him going forward.  As long as MM is in charge, there won't be major changes to the offense.  Mine as well load up on coaches who know the system well, and if they also know Rodgers well, even better.

Was also mentioned in the Packers forum that Philbin was heavily involved in game planning opponents, and making game day adjustments during his time in GB.  Those reasons alone should be enough to make adding him to the staff a great idea.  Game day adjustments are not exactly where MM shines these days.

1 minute ago, TheBeast23 said:

Maybe they can recapture that magic when he was with them the first time. Record years.

I doubt they recapture that magic but I do feel Philbin will be a very positive guy to have back in that locker room. Very solid hire. 

1 hour ago, TheBeast23 said:

Maybe they can recapture that magic when he was with them the first time. Record years.

we need young greg jennings, jordy nelson, james jones and jermichael finley on the roster to do that.

team was loaded w/ WRing talent...position needs an overhaul this offseason. Step one is done (sign Adams), steps 2 and 3 are moving on from Cobb and moving from or restructuring Jordy. Then sign: Moncrief (now that we have his WR coach), Paul Richardson, or another tier 2 FA WR.

12 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

we need young greg jennings, jordy nelson, james jones and jermichael finley on the roster to do that.

team was loaded w/ WRing talent...position needs an overhaul this offseason. Step one is done (sign Adams), steps 2 and 3 are moving on from Cobb and moving from or restructuring Jordy. Then sign: Moncrief (now that we have his WR coach), Paul Richardson, or another tier 2 FA WR.

I’m with you on being done with Cobb. I just don’t see how he adds anything to this team, especially when factoring what he gets paid. Jordy I want back at a pay cut because he’s Rodgers guy and the chemistry alone should guarantee him a spot on this team. 

2 hours ago, cddolphin said:

As OL coach in Indy, he did a real bang-up job...

Maybe the Packers have just the right niche role for him.

I feel like Philbin has largely been Blah with whatever he has done. I never understood the love he got the first go around in Green Bay that allowed him to get a HC job, and I don't think he's done anything remotely noteworthy since then. I mean, I suppose you could do worse, but I feel like you can do a heck of a lot better too. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I feel like Philbin has largely been Blah with whatever he has done. I never understood the love he got the first go around in Green Bay that allowed him to get a HC job, and I don't think he's done anything remotely noteworthy since then. I mean, I suppose you could do worse, but I feel like you can do a heck of a lot better too. 

He is the physical embodiment of milktoast

Archived